Cross-Platform Civ3 Editor

Cross-Platform Editor for Conquests now available! 1.48

I have two questions about your map-editor.

1. What means the number of percentage behind the city names ?
2. What is the function of the black boxes in the upper right corner of your editor ?

Attachments

• EditorMap.jpg
    EditorMap.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 356
I have two answers!

1. That is the percentage defense bonus a city has, incorporating terrain, city size (town/city/metro), and any building bonuses (though not any citizen-based bonuses). It was born out of missing how Civ4 shows defensive bonuses per city, and having tried to conquer an unconquerable city a few too many times in scenarios (Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire being a scenario that had such almost-impossible-to-conquer cities, but no good way of knowing that in-game). I figured it could help in marking sure defensive bonuses were balanced as intended more widely as well.
2. Those are brush sizes. If you select a terrain to paint, by default it paints one tile at a tile, but you can have it paint 3x3, 5x5, or 7x7 as well if you need some more broad brush strokes. While on the map tab, you can also use the 1, 3, 5, and 7 keys to select those brush sizes. Firaxis's editor has the equivalent feature under the Map -> Terrain Brush Size menu, but uses 1, 2, 3, and 4 as the shortcuts; I thought having the shortcuts match the actual sizes made more sense even if it meant they were not contiguous. The black background/white number brush size is the currently selected one.

Quintillus, thank you very much for your answers. :) It seems the next version of SOE could be the first scenario (at least that I know) that is using the deepwater harbor function of your editor.

Ave Quintillius Imperator!

I am curious about your editor in a few ways:

1) Is it possible to give each civ a different government in your editor?

2) Is it possible, even theoretically if not currently, to expand the total number of civs on the map past 31? Not important but nice to have nonetheless.

Context: I'm currently working on an Earth Map scenario using TETurkhan's Test of Time 2.0 362X362 map (friggin' massive and I love it!) and I'm working on a way to differentiate the various civs on the map by introducing a new Tribal government form where tribal civs start with it where they are incredibly weak at first, for instance the free unit per city count starts with one per town, but as their population grows, they become increasingly powerful, receiving more free units per city.

However, with the basic editor I can't find out where to give different civs different governments...

Hi B-29_Bomber

1. Yes, but I was trying to keep it quiet until my next release.
  1. Go into scenario properties
  2. Remove civilization defaults from all players
  3. Make all players human playable (not required for preplaced factions on a custom map)
  4. Pair each player to a civ
  5. Create two (or more) techs enabling their own unique government with the same tech coordinates
  6. Make them not required for era advancement.
  7. They also need at least 1 normal prerequisite tech in the tech tree
  8. Create an equal number of era-none techs as a requirement for the techs above
  9. Make them untradeable.
  10. Assign these era-none techs to the desired players.

2. No. You can only have 32 factions. The 32nd being the barbarians

I think we’re working on something similar.
I currently have 29 governments but no single civ has more than 11 of them accessible throughout the game.

Hi B-29_Bomber

1. Yes, but I was trying to keep it quiet until my next release.
  1. Go into scenario properties
  2. Remove civilization defaults from all players
  3. Make all players human playable (not required for preplaced factions on a custom map)
  4. Pair each player to a civ
  5. Create two (or more) techs enabling their own unique government with the same tech coordinates
  6. Make them not required for era advancement.
  7. They also need at least 1 normal prerequisite tech in the tech tree
  8. Create an equal number of era-none techs as a requirement for the techs above
  9. Make them untradeable.
  10. Assign these era-none techs to the desired players.
That's a hell of a lot of steps... :confused: I'm a very... basic user of the editor... but I'll figure it out!

2. No. You can only have 32 factions. The 32nd being the barbarians

That's... unfortunate... Man, wouldn't a remaster that fixed all this be awesome?

I think we’re working on something similar.
I currently have 29 governments but no single civ has more than 11 of them accessible throughout the game.

Oh? How similar? Perhaps we could do a collab? There are some... aspects that I simply can't/don't-know-how-to do (editing the Civilopedia, custom leader portraits, etc; like I said, me basic, me smash rocks together make scenario:mischief:).

Having help in that regard would be a godsend!:hug: Naturally any work you do on the scenario would be credited to you, if I actually release it for public use.

I also haven't been able to figure out how to open Quintillius' Editor...:blush:

I also haven't been able to figure out how to open Quintillius' Editor...:blush:

If you have Java installed, then after unzipping the download it should work by double-clicking on "Conquests Editor.jar" on most systems (Windows, Mac... somewhat less reliably on Linux). If you don't have Java installed, search the first post for "Java Download Links" and follow the instructions there (I'd link it but I'm not sure how to link to the middle of a post).

If you aren't sure if you have Java installed, most likely you do not. The quickest way to figure out if you do is by opening a Command Prompt (on Windows) or Terminal (on Mac), and typing "java -version" without the quotes. If it returns something about a Java version, you have Java installed.

There are occasional edge cases where systems have Java installed, but double-clicking doesn't work. If it looks like that's the case, somewhere in this thread there is a post addressing how to fix that on Windows that I can dig up.

Alternately, if you are on Windows, you can try the "XP build" in this post that includes Java, so you don't need to worry about whether you have it. It doesn't have all the latest bells and whistles, but will get you in business for most editing tasks.

Quintillus updated Cross-Platform Civ3 Editor with a new update entry:

Version 1.39

Version 1.39 has the following changes:

• You can now enable custom player data with the editor (shortcut: Ctrl/Cmd+Shift+P)
  • Long upgrade loops are now split into multiple lines so they don't run off the screen.
  • The size of capital city graphics is now bumped up by one level, to match Firaxis behavior.
  • Civ-specific settings on the PLYR tab are only modifiable if "Civilization Defaults" is unchecked (also included messaging making that clear), as they have no effect otherwise.
  • The player-based owner dropdown on the Map tab will now indicate when the player is assigned to Any or Random civ, in addition to specific civs
  • Numerous small fixes to the PLYR tab when there was custom player data, but no custom map, or the custom map had been added after the scenario was opened.

One existing issue related to PLYR/MAP interaction remains for the future - if you the owner dropdown is displaying a player such as Player 2 - England, and you change player 2 on the PLYR tab to be India, and then go back to the map tab, the dropdown will be updated, but the collapsed dropdown text will not be. This is present in 1.38 as well, and resisted efforts to be fixed.

As that is a purely cosmetic issue, and many of the small fixes mentioned in the last bullet point could impact functionality, I've decided to release the fixes added so far rather than try to fix that one too, and have it wind up being a month later before I get around to it.

1.39 "XP"/Windows

I have also updated the Windows build that bundles Java, formerly known as the "XP build". You can download it here (41.7 MB). If you are able to run 1.38 without any issues, I recommend sticking with the "regular" release, but the 1.39 Windows release should solve any Java-related issues you may be running into on that platform.

Last edited:
Quintillus, is there a grid that can be used in the map-part of your editor as it exists in the Firaxis editor ? I use the 'deepharbor' option of your editor massively for the SOE map, but there are a lot of missings of tiles I want to change with that option.

B-29_Bomber, I'm afraid you need to provide more information on what's happening (or not happening) in order to diagnose why the editor isn't running on your system. Without more information on what's happening, or not, it's a shot in the dark what the problem may be. Knowing what "java -version" reports would help with narrowing down the possibilities; so would knowing if a log.txt file is created when you try to run the editor, and if so what it contains. But it's also entirely possible that it's something I wouldn't guess, but might recognize if I saw it happening on a screen. That's fairly common among bug reports.

Quintillus, is there a grid that can be used in the map-part of your editor as it exists in the Firaxis editor ? I use the 'deepharbor' option of your editor massively for the SOE map, but there are a lot of missings of tiles I want to change with that option.

Indeed there is. If you go to Options -> Editor Settings (which has the shortcut Ctrl/Cmd+P), and then the Map tab of the settings, it's the "Grid" option, which is unchecked by default. You may need to scroll the map to make it appear after checking the box and saving the new setting.

If you go to Options -> Editor Settings (which has the shortcut Ctrl/Cmd+P), and then the Map tab of the settings, it's the "Grid" option, which is unchecked by default. You may need to scroll the map to make it appear after checking the box and saving the new setting.

That´s great and I will try it soo. One more time thank you very much Quintillus! :)

Do the City "reduces war weariness" and "propaganda resistance" stack up with multiple buildings or is that a 1 time thing only?

What does the "Build often Settler" flag do? Does it enhance the AI's expansion phase by making them build more settlers instead of things like Temples? I've looked up Alexman's old threat and he emphasized Workers and Air Units, but not Settlers.

You must mean this thread? https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/what-will-the-ai-research-next.45559/ I somehow hadn't come across it before. Or is there one more specific to units?

The only mention of the build often flag in that thread is posts 8 and 9, which is not conclusive. I would assume the "what to build next?" system works similarly with weightings, and the "build often" flag adds a modifier to the likelihood of buildings settlers, similar to the "optional" modifier for techs. But I that's purely speculation based on what I would logically expect it to do.

You must mean this thread? https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/what-will-the-ai-research-next.45559/ I somehow hadn't come across it before. Or is there one more specific to units?

The only mention of the build often flag in that thread is posts 8 and 9, which is not conclusive. I would assume the "what to build next?" system works similarly with weightings, and the "build often" flag adds a modifier to the likelihood of buildings settlers, similar to the "optional" modifier for techs. But I that's purely speculation based on what I would logically expect it to do.

It's this thread: http://www.codehappy.net/apolyton/threads/102887-1.htm

AI build priorities: The AI build priorities don't always match the human build priorities. This is expected, as it is often necessary to compensate for the AI's poor military tactics. However, even taking into account the differences between AI and human optimal strategies, there are some areas where the AI build priorities could be improved.
  1. Added Offensive units to all militaristic civs and to Iroquois.
  2. Removed Defensive units, Growth, and Explore from all civs.
  3. Added Workers, Air Units, and Trade to all civs.
  4. Added Happiness to all religious or non-scientific civs that didn't have culture flagged.
  5. Added Culture to all scientific civs that didn't already have both Science and Happiness flagged.
  6. Added Production to all civs with fewer than 6 build-often items.
  7. Removed items so that all civs have a maximum of 6 items (Science from China)
So 6 build-often flags seems to be the maximum number of build emphasis before things get diluted. I'm curious to why "Growth" is removed if it's Granaries, Aqueducts and Hospitals. The AI places cities far apart. Reaching size 12 and beyond should be it's top priority over Trade (Markets, Banks and Stocks). "Air Units" build-often is there to counter act the overpowered stock game bombers. I'm not sure what the build-often "Explore" flag even does. I've never seen the AI produce a single Explore AI flag unit. Has anyone ever seen an AI Explorer? Expansionist civs don't even make any extra scouts.

I can tell from testing that having build-often "Workers" significantly improves AI performance.

Top Bottom