Cross-Platform Civ3 Editor

Cross-Platform Editor for Conquests now available! 1.48

I've been wanting to both update this long ago thread On How The AI Decides Which Unit To Build Next, along with integrating it with other, similar threads.There's a lot more to this than might seem apparent. - But,as there are evidently a few items actually currently aunting you via the Editor's pages, here area few quick notes:
  1. Using more than 3 or 4 "Build Often/Never" flags for a Civ will pretty much break that part off the "AI;" and,
  2. Each single, checked box, will only change (constrain) the AI's choices - But only by a tiny degree: Meaning somewhere between 1% and 5%.

I've been wanting to both update this long ago thread On How The AI Decides Which Unit To Build Next, along with integrating it with other, similar threads.There's a lot more to this than might seem apparent. - But,as there are evidently a few items actually currently aunting you via the Editor's pages, here area few quick notes:
  1. Using more than 3 or 4 "Build Often/Never" flags for a Civ will pretty much break that part off the "AI;" and,
  2. Each single, checked box, will only change (constrain) the AI's choices - But only by a tiny degree: Meaning somewhere between 1% and 5%.

I see in the original C3C game the maximum number of Build Often flags checked is 5. I can tell from testing that having 6 flags checked for all civs that it made a big difference on AI performance. The AI builds far more workers and offensive units with these 2 flags checked.

Hi guys, I've got a question: I have not really figured out the possible save game modifications yet. Can I update the rules of a save game with this editor, even if I added several units? I'm playing Hotseat MP games with a friend that easily take a year or more. It would be cool to modify the rules sometimes, for example if upgrade chains are broken or we want to add some nice new units...

It sounds like it may make more sense to either revitalize Oz's thread on AI build preferences, or start a new one, for further discussion on that topic. I'm not at all an expert in that area, and potential experts on that topic would be more likely to see activity in another thread on that topic than in this thread, which they may not check.

Once there is a good summary of the findings, it would make sense to post here again, as it's a topic that could be included (along with a reference to relevant threads/posts) in the help files. Which have recently been updated - there's now a BLDG help file which includes the findings from the thread Civinator linked to on which flags are cumulative, and which are not (with wording adjusted to match the flags names in this editor).

Hi guys, I've got a question: I have not really figured out the possible save game modifications yet. Can I update the rules of a save game with this editor, even if I added several units? I'm playing Hotseat MP games with a friend that easily take a year or more. It would be cool to modify the rules sometimes, for example if upgrade chains are broken or we want to add some nice new units...

Currently, only the CTZN, Civ/RACE, RULE, and TERR sections can be modified. I plan to add more in the future. Fixing broken upgrade chains sounds like a good use case for making units one of the next sections I add.

The general rule on these is that as long as you don't re-order or remove anything, it should work.

Can I update the rules of a save game with this editor
I have a save game editor that you may want to play with Ares. It can be found at [C3C] Adrain's Save Game Editor.

I hope I'm not hijacking here. I'm not absolutely sure what you're after but the tool is more focused on the Save Game than this so I hope I'm not treading on any toes by linking to it here. It's not a patch on this one but I believe it does cover some areas where this one doesn't go.

What do the flags "Naval Defense" and "Double City Defenses (global)" do?

Building Defense.jpg

Double City Defenses (global): This flag doubles the city defense in all your cities. :D

... and a note to the description of the defense bonus of a selected improvement/wonder:

In my eyes this description here in the Civ3Conquest Edit is wrong. The defense bonuses of several buildings with that flag in a city are not cumulative. Only the strongest of these buildings is counting in combat.

Last edited:
View attachment 587855

Double City Defenses (global): This flag doubles the city defense in all your cities. :D

... and a note to the description of the defense bonus of a selected improvement/wonder:

In my eyes this description here in the Civ3Conquest Edit is wrong. The defense bonuses of several buildings with that flag in a city are not cumulative. Only the strongest of these buildings is counting in combat.

As you can see, there are 5 Combat Value flags in the Firaxis editor. The Quintillus editor has another one called "Naval Defense". I suspect it only applies vs amphibious attacks.

Double City Defenses (global) is ticked for the Great Walls in Vanilla Civ3 when I use the Quintillus editor to open it. Does it mean it doubles the effects of built Walls and being size 7 and above? I suspect the Walls turn a town into a city. That's why when a town becomes a city the walls disappear to reappear should pop drop below 7.

Last edited:
As you can see, there are 5 Combat Value flags in the Firaxis editor. The Quintillus editor has another one called "Naval Defense". I suspect it only applies vs amphibious attacks.

Double City Defenses (global) is ticked for the Great Walls in Vanilla Civ3 when I use the Quintillus editor to open it. Does it mean it doubles the effects of built Walls and being size 7 and above? I suspect the Walls turn a town into a city. That's why when a town becomes a city the walls disappear to reappear should pop drop below 7.

Predator145, I see what you are meaning. :yup: It seem here is one naval flag too much, but unfortunately at present I cannot explain it better.
For the Double City Defense, the help function of the Quintillus editor stats the following:

Help.jpg

I agree, that more explanations here are interesting.

Predator145, I see what you are meaning. :yup: It seem here is one naval flag too much, but unfortunately at present I cannot explain it better.
For the Double City Defense, the help function of the Quintillus editor stats the following:

View attachment 587893

I agree, that more explanations here are interesting.

I wonder what the mechanism of Walls is? It's hard coded stop working at size 7 unlike Civil Defense. I suspect the coding has to do with the icon number for there are no flags. If you set game rules to Cities giving no def bonus, you'd lose defense when your walled town hits size 7.

If I'm not mistaken by entering values in "Land Bombard" and "Sea Bombard" the improvement becomes a lightning rod for these types of bombardments. That means the bombarding unit will not hit anything else unit it has hit and destroyed the improvement. At value 8 Walls and Coastal Fortresses are balanced at blocking a couple of catapult/frigate shots until it's destroyed but utterly useless later on, getting destroyed at the first shot by artillery/battleships. Working with numbers instead of percentages, these buildings get obsolete quickly in being lightning rods.

By setting "Land Bombard" and "Sea Bombard" to 0, Walls and CF can be enduring improvements providing defensive percentage bonuses. Increased cost or maintenance could be added now that they're like Civil Defense.

This looks like another area where the help can be improved... assuming what I once knew can be re-learned, at least!

From the Apolyton BIX/BIQ format documentation, there are the following items in BLDG related to defensive bonuses (not counting Great Wall related bonuses, which I'll keep as a separate post):

Code:
    4   long        bombardment defense

4   long        naval bombardment defense

4   long        defense bonus

4   long        naval defense bonus

{6 unrelated longs}

4   long        air power

4   long        naval power

However, the Firaxis editor only contains 5. We can see the extra one by comparing a "new" BIQ (i.e. conquests.biq rules, unmodified from the standard rules) in the Firaxis editor and the Quintillus editor:

upload_2021-3-1_0-24-23.png

It's a little ambiguous because 8 = 8, but we can see that the naval defense field in my editor shows a value of 50, which is also in the BIQ, but which is not displayed in Firaxis's editor.

To make things less ambiguous, I'll add some values for each field in my editor (since the Firaxis one might not preserve Naval defence). I'll set Land Bombard to 1, Air Attack to 2, Defence Bonus to 100, Sea Bombard to 3, Sea Attack to 4, and Naval defence will remain 50.

upload_2021-3-1_0-28-11.png

Now we can see the mapping of names; I'll go Quintillus -> Firaxis.

Land Bombard -> Bombard (for reference, this is 8 for Walls in the standard game)
Air Attack -> Air (this is 8 for SAM Missile Battery in the standard game)
Defence Bonus -> Defense (this is 50 for Walls in the stadard game)
Sea Bombard -> Naval Bombard Def (this is 8 for Coastal Fortress in the standard game)
Sea Attack -> Naval (this is 8 for Coastal Fortress in the standard game)
Naval defence is not present in the Firaxis editor.

I think we're rapidly approaching a point at which a table showing Firaxis Name -> Quintillus Name -> BIQ name -> Description would be helpful. But I have a blueberry cobbler to fetch from the oven, so that will have to wait momentarily.

Edit: Made the table mapping everything together:

upload_2021-3-1_0-54-31.png

I can now see the pattern I was going for with the names. "Attack" is "potency", or "power" in the BIQ documentation. "Bombard" is "how hard it is to destroy" or "bombard defense" in the BIQ documentation (and I agree that it means "attack magnet" as well. Alas, I didn't have consistent verbiage with "Defence Bonus" and "Naval Defence", and with the short names it is confusing to keep straight which one applies to how tough it is to destroy, and which applies to giving a bonus to units.

I think a few items have come out of this:

- Descriptions in the Help files, and possibly tooltips, are needed
- The short names can probably be improved. I think "Sea bombard" is a bad name, as a coastal fortress does bombard, and it also attacks, so it's unclear which is which. Right now I'm leaning:

Land Strength | Air Attack | Unit Bonus
Sea Strength | Sea Attack | Amph. Bonus

As the short names, but am open to other suggestions. I'd like to make it clearer that the leftmost items are how tough it is to destroy, the middle ones are attacks, and the rightmost ones are bonuses for units (for the lower one, situationally).
- It would be good to have a study on whether the Amphibious Bonus does in fact apply. It's possible this has already been studied at some point, but I don't recall reading about it off the top of my head.

As a note, it looks like these labels have been in place since at least April, 2010, i.e. before the public release of the editor. I was hoping perhaps the history of my code might shed some light on this, but it appears that my source was likely the Apolyton documentation. Thus I really don't know if what I'm now calling the "Amph. Bonus" is something that really works, but was left out of the editor for some reason (it is not in the cracked editor, either), or if it was a planned feature that was never completed. Considering charm is a thing, it doesn't seem implausible that it might work, and perhaps Coastal Fortresses have been foiling Berserkers all along.

Last edited:
(see above for a dive into the various defensive improvement options that are numbers)

On the topic of The Great Wall, and related flags.

Predator145 is correct that The Great Wall changed from Vanilla to Conquests. In both, it doubles combat vs barbarians. In Vanilla, it has the "Doubles City Defenses" flag. But guess who builds city defenses (walls)? The human. And who doesn't? The AI. So it was basically worthless if the AI built it, but potentially useful if the human did. And since multiplayer didn't exist until Play the World, well, it was a one-sided wonder.

So by Conquests, it had lost the ability to double city defenses, though the flag remains in the editor. Instead, it gives walls in every city. This makes it fairly weak if a human builds it - walls are cheap, and you usually have dealt with barbarians by the time of Construction, so perhaps the best use is giving automatic walls when founding cities with combat settlers - but a significant annoyance if an AI you were planning to attack builds it.

I should note the section Civinator quoted from help about the doubling only applying to bombardment defenses is from CyberChrist's post that was referenced in this thread recently. This somewhat alters my Vanilla understanding from 17 years ago; at the time I had thought it applied to the bonus to land units defending a city as well, which would have been even more overpowered.

Finally, I am 99% sure that walls are tied to the city size limits on the RULE tab, not hard coded to size 7. E.g. if you change the Maximum Size for level 1 (Town) to 3, then walls would quit being effective once the population reached 4.

It sounds like it may make more sense to either revitalize Oz's thread on AI build preferences, or start a new one, for further discussion on that topic. I'm not at all an expert in that area, and potential experts on that topic would be more likely to see activity in another thread on that topic than in this thread, which they may not check.

I've been meaning to compile that info with tom2050's work for quite some; it's still on the proverbial stove's "back burner, & I'm doing my best to not it slip off, entirely :hammer2:

HI Quintillus, I'm having an issue opening my save file for my Mod using your editor. It gives me the same error that another user on page 38 (of this thread) has reported. However, on page 38 you said that a newer version would resolve the issue. But i'm using the latest version and still getting that error. I'm on Windows 10, have the latest version of Civ 3 Conquests (Civ 3 Complete), and have downloaded the following environment from Bellsoft. By the way, I have the Steam version of Civ 3 complete.

Can you please help?

I've downloaded:
upload_2021-3-2_21-7-0.png

My error messages:

upload_2021-3-2_21-2-48.png

upload_2021-3-2_21-3-8.png

Hi haluu,

The error you are getting suggests that the editor is unable to decompress the BIQ file. I downloaded the latest (1.6) version of your scenario, and was able to open it in the editor locally. With that in mind, a couple things to check/potential reasons:

- If the disk is out of space or has write protection, it would fail to create the temporary decompressed file, and thus fail to open the BIQ.
- As a corollary of the above, I see your Civilization III is installed to C:\Program Files (x86). This is a protected folder on Windows Vista and later, and Windows uses something called the VirtualStore to save files that are written to that area (aside from via installers). I suspect the VirtualStore may be swallowing the ._tmp.biq file, causing this error. To test, copy your scenario and its files to another folder, such as My Documents, and try to open it. If it works, the VirtualStore is almost certainly the issue.
- If the decompressor file somehow got deleted, this would fail. In the editor's folder, you should see a "bin" folder, which contains a "BIQDecompressor.jar" file. If this is not present, I would expect to see that error.
- If none of the above apply, uploading the log.txt file in the editor's folder may help in discovering a novel cause of this type of issue.

I suspect the second item is the problem here. My general recommendation for modding older games that have the mod resources in their install folder is to install them to somewhere other than C:\Program Files (x86). Though if this is the issue, be aware that for the same reason (mod files being in the Civ install folder), uninstalling Civ to reinstall it elsewhere will delete your scenarios and saves - thus be sure to back them up first!

- Quintillus

Quintillus, thank you for all these amazing suggestions! I will try this out when i get some time (tomorrow hopefully) and let you know how it goes.

Thanks again!

Hi Quintillus,
I just tried this again by moving my entire civ 3 installation over to "My Documents" but kept getting the same exact error message. I did check and I do have the Decompressor file as well.
How do i see the error log?

upload_2021-3-3_19-45-57.png

The log should be in the "ConquestsEditor1.39" folder, and named log.txt (although it appears your file extensions are hidden, so it will just show up as "log").

Hopefully it will include some more details about the error. The BIQDecompressor file is the correct size, so that checks out.

One other thing you could try is saving the scenario in the Firaxis editor, but after going to (in the Firaxis editor) View -> Options, and unchecking "Compress BIC files". That will save it uncompressed, which should eliminate that step and may work around the issue.

Hi Haluu.

If you're having difficulties with de-compression of a saved game file then there are two things that may help - on top of what Quintillus has already shared :
  1. End-of-turn AutoSave files are not compressed.
    The end-of-turn save is not always appropriate to use however, for various reasons. If it is, then great.
  2. There is also a stand-alone de-compression utility (I found a while ago & I don't even remember where from.) that is included within the ZIP file that's a download in the thread I linked Ares de Borg to earlier (Post #1265).
You don't need to use my utility to benefit from it as it's a stand-alone executable.

Top Bottom