Cross-Platform Civ3 Editor

Cross-Platform Editor for Conquests now available! 1.48

Do you mean the "Worker Rate" below the "Sci/Tax/Ent Cap"? If so, it cannot be set below 50 unless you set the "Safety Level" to "Exploratory" or lower, which may be required before opening the BIQ. The default value is 100 (unless perhaps you are on a pre-version-12.08 BIQ), so values of 12 or 15 would actually slow it down considerably.
I did not make myself clear. It is the worker rate cap, which in the standard editor has a maximum rate of 10. I was trying to increase it to 12 for Republic and 15 for Democracy to show a more enthusiastic worker under those governments. Theov in his mod has lowered if for other government to 8 and 9, but I would rather increase it.

I did not make myself clear. It is the worker rate cap, which in the standard editor has a maximum rate of 10. I was trying to increase it to 12 for Republic and 15 for Democracy to show a more enthusiastic worker under those governments. Theov in his mod has lowered if for other government to 8 and 9, but I would rather increase it.
Hmm... I think we are both talking about this field:

1675254100101.png

At least for me it the Firaxis editor defaults to 2 for most governments, 1 for Anarchy, 3 for Democracy, and 4 for Fascism.

Checking how it's done in my editor, I scaled it so that 2 in the Firaxis editor is 100 in my editor; according to the Civilopedia Republic has 100% worker rate, so "2" is 100%. Anarchy is 50 in my editor, Democracy 150, etc.

The spinners in my editor allow changing it by 50 at a time. If you enter a non-divisible-by-50 value such as 74, it will round it down to the nearest 50:

1675254253074.png

Unfortunately, the BIQ format itself limits this field to increments of 50%. There's no way to give a government 120% of the standard worker rate, as far as I know. Perhaps Theov knows something I don't? That could be simulated by having different Worker units that are generated by a government-specific wonder and which have different worker rates as a unit, but I don't know of a way to change it across the board.

---

Edit: I'm still not 100% sure we're talking about the same field. The "Worker Rate" field has a limit of 20 in the Firaxis editor.

Theov's Expanding Civ3 Mod notes an Architect unit with a worker rate of 125%, but that can be set via the units tab.

Hmm... I think we are both talking about this field:

View attachment 652567
At least for me it the Firaxis editor defaults to 2 for most governments, 1 for Anarchy, 3 for Democracy, and 4 for Fascism.

Checking how it's done in my editor, I scaled it so that 2 in the Firaxis editor is 100 in my editor; according to the Civilopedia Republic has 100% worker rate, so "2" is 100%. Anarchy is 50 in my editor, Democracy 150, etc.

The spinners in my editor allow changing it by 50 at a time. If you enter a non-divisible-by-50 value such as 74, it will round it down to the nearest 50:

View attachment 652568

Unfortunately, the BIQ format itself limits this field to increments of 50%. There's no way to give a government 120% of the standard worker rate, as far as I know. Perhaps Theov knows something I don't? That could be simulated by having different Worker units that are generated by a government-specific wonder and which have different worker rates as a unit, but I don't know of a way to change it across the board.

---

Edit: I'm still not 100% sure we're talking about the same field. The "Worker Rate" field has a limit of 20 in the Firaxis editor.

Theov's Expanding Civ3 Mod notes an Architect unit with a worker rate of 125%, but that can be set via the units tab.
What I am talking about is the rate cap, just to the left of the worker rate. I would like to increase the rate cap for Republic and Democracy. As I understand it, regardless of how many worker rate improvements that you get, the worker rate cannot exceed the rate cap.

What I am talking about is the rate cap, just to the left of the worker rate. I would like to increase the rate cap for Republic and Democracy. As I understand it, regardless of how many worker rate improvements that you get, the worker rate cannot exceed the rate cap.
Oh. The "Rate cap" you are describing, in the Firaxis editor, is not related to workers. The Firaxis help for it is:

Firaxis said:

Rate Cap (Government Properties)​

Determines the maximum science funding (0-10) that the selected government can engage in. Default is always 10 (100%).

In my editor is it the Sci/Tax/Lux cap to be clearer about its purpose (and because it also applies to the lux slider and tax rate; if the value is 4 (40%), you cannot set science, nor luxury, nor tax to more than 40%.

It cannot go above 10 in the Firaxis editor or 100 (%) in my editor since the sliders cannot be set above 100%.

I would suggest asking Theov what he has been using, but it must be something different than the Rate Cap.

If you have more than one type of terraforming unit in a mod, you can set individual worker efficiencies per unit.

But those will in turn also be affected by the worker-rate set for the current government.

Hi Quintillus,

I have the same issue as SayHayKid but on Linux (my Civ3 install is using steam with Proton).

I did not fully understand your response to SayHayKid. It looks as if the editor is assuming a windows file structure ("\" after the Art folder) even though it says it's using a unix method and I'm not using Wine to run the editor. The path is correct except that my "Tech Chooser" folder is capitalized and the latter slashes are the wrong direction.

Error message:

31218 [JavaFX Application Thread] ERROR com.civfanatics.civ3.xplatformeditor.CustomComponents.ImprovedListView - Boom java.io.FileNotFoundException: Could not find file (using UNIX method); last hope was /home/laptopuser/.steam/debian-installation/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization III Complete/Art\tech chooser\Icons\71-SteamPower-small.PCX

Hi Quintillus,

I have the same issue as SayHayKid but on Linux (my Civ3 install is using steam with Proton).

I did not fully understand your response to SayHayKid. It looks as if the editor is assuming a windows file structure ("\" after the Art folder) even though it says it's using a unix method and I'm not using Wine to run the editor. The path is correct except that my "Tech Chooser" folder is capitalized and the latter slashes are the wrong direction.

Error message:

31218 [JavaFX Application Thread] ERROR com.civfanatics.civ3.xplatformeditor.CustomComponents.ImprovedListView - Boom java.io.FileNotFoundException: Could not find file (using UNIX method); last hope was /home/laptopuser/.steam/debian-installation/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization III Complete/Art\tech chooser\Icons\71-SteamPower-small.PCX
@Sutsuj I am not sure about Linux or the Steam version, but this is what I did using WINE on MacOS. I'd get an error, but the editor would open. However, it wouldn't load the Biq so none of the tabs for editing the mod were available. What worked for me was to go under Options -> Editor Settings and uncheck "map enabled". I have no map, but everything else works.

Oh. The "Rate cap" you are describing, in the Firaxis editor, is not related to workers. The Firaxis help for it is:

In my editor is it the Sci/Tax/Lux cap to be clearer about its purpose (and because it also applies to the lux slider and tax rate; if the value is 4 (40%), you cannot set science, nor luxury, nor tax to more than 40%.

It cannot go above 10 in the Firaxis editor or 100 (%) in my editor since the sliders cannot be set above 100%.

I would suggest asking Theov what he has been using, but it must be something different than the Rate Cap.
Thanks for the clarification for workers. What Theov has done is lower the Rate Cap for some governments. With your answers, I now have a much better idea of what might be done. Thank you very much.

Last edited:
@Sutsuj I am not sure about Linux or the Steam version, but this is what I did using WINE on MacOS. I'd get an error, but the editor would open. However, it wouldn't load the Biq so none of the tabs for editing the mod were available. What worked for me was to go under Options -> Editor Settings and uncheck "map enabled". I have no map, but everything else works.
Thanks for the reply SayHayKid. In my case the editor can open and adjust the .biq's, and the map loading seems to work. It's just the tech and resource image files that do not load.

Hi Quintillus,

Error message:

Ah, it seems that in this case the editor is reading the PediaIcons.txt file to get the "Art\tech chooser\Icons\71-SteamPower-large.pcx" part of the path.

This is a bit trickier of a case because the editor is relying on files on the file system that have Windows-style file separators. It probably is possible to switch all the slashes to forward slashes though; the good news is that Windows works with Linux-style forward slashes just fine.

The capitalization one is an interesting one; as you can see in my first paragraph, on my system the ".PCX" is lowercase in PediaIcons.txt, but my "tech chooser" folder is lowercase. I haven't a clue what the reason for your "Tech Chooser" folder being capitalized is, but inconsistencies like this are one of the top pain points with Linux support; it just works on case-insensitive (but preserving) Windows. The good news is one of the Linux developers on the C7 project developed a solution for this that can be selectively applied to only case-sensitive file systems, so it's likely possible to adopt that to the editor as well. This isn't the first case-sensitivity issue that has cropped up over the years, so solving that once and for all would be nice.

Maybe I should write to Linus Torvalds and advise him to change Linux to work with backslashes as nicely as Windows works with forward slashes, and to make the Linux file system case-insensitive by default. That would save a lot of developers a lot of time across the world!

Ah, it seems that in this case the editor is reading the PediaIcons.txt file to get the "Art\tech chooser\Icons\71-SteamPower-large.pcx" part of the path.

This is a bit trickier of a case because the editor is relying on files on the file system that have Windows-style file separators. It probably is possible to switch all the slashes to forward slashes though; the good news is that Windows works with Linux-style forward slashes just fine.

The capitalization one is an interesting one; as you can see in my first paragraph, on my system the ".PCX" is lowercase in PediaIcons.txt, but my "tech chooser" folder is lowercase. I haven't a clue what the reason for your "Tech Chooser" folder being capitalized is, but inconsistencies like this are one of the top pain points with Linux support; it just works on case-insensitive (but preserving) Windows. The good news is one of the Linux developers on the C7 project developed a solution for this that can be selectively applied to only case-sensitive file systems, so it's likely possible to adopt that to the editor as well. This isn't the first case-sensitivity issue that has cropped up over the years, so solving that once and for all would be nice.

Maybe I should write to Linus Torvalds and advise him to change Linux to work with backslashes as nicely as Windows works with forward slashes, and to make the Linux file system case-insensitive by default. That would save a lot of developers a lot of time across the world!
Ah, good to know. Thanks Quintillus! In that case maybe I'll change my PediaIcons files.

Version 1.46

Version 1.46 is now available!

This update focuses on modifying Civ Colors, following a post by @AnthonyBoscia on the subject yesterday.

Civ Colors

With this update, it is now possible to set monotone civ colors by setting a single value that will be used for all known civ colors (40 used on units, plus several more used elsewhere). This speeds up that process greatly.

In addition, an "Undo" button has been added to the Civ Colors area, which allows you to undo any Hue/Saturation/Balance/Monotone change that didn't turn out the way you were hoping.

Please note that only one step back with undo is supported at this time! If you have a color you like, it's still advisable to store a backup copy before making additional modifications to it.

Bug Fix

PediaIcon paths are now adjusted to use forward-slashes automatically. This should allow them to load on Linux/Mac, while continuing to work on Windows.

Note that there is not yet automatic case-detection on case-sensitive file systems, so you still may need to make sure your PediaIcons paths and your file system paths match in terms of capitalization if you aren't on Windows.

To revisit the topic of "Naval defense" in the editor: I've tested in the WW2 Pacific scenario by giving the Harbor the max Naval defense value of 10000000.

Amphibious assaults by marines showed zero difference. My marines were getting usual combat odds. I was expecting them getting slaughtered. But they won their engagements from Saigon assaulting Sibu and Formosa into Hongkong. There goes the "coastal fortress foils berserks" idea.

Next came naval bombardment, Air and Sea units got hit as usual. So they certainly don't enjoy any improvement bonuses. But they don't get city and metro bonuses either. Hongkong only had an Anzac Infantry. So that was the place to test if he can be shielded from naval bombardment. But no, he got redlined by my eastern fleet just fine.

So what does that "Naval defense" thing even do? Wikipedia says it increases defense against "naval attacks". What the heck are "naval attacks" if they aren't naval bombardment and amph. assaults? Ships can't attack settlements. Mobile air units attacking (not bombarding) from carriers?

And with PTW targeting enabled for naval bombard units how is the "Sea Bombard" value used? PTW targeting randomly selects an improvement to target. So when the an improvement with Sea Bombard value gets selected that value will be pitted against the bombard strength instead of the usual defense stat of improvements set in the rules section of the editor (stock game sets it at 16)?

PTW style targeting for my naval units leaves me with pointless coastal fortresses again. I'm trying to do something with that "Naval defense" stat. It seems like stock game editor doesn't even display it : http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads9/cfort.jpg. Maybe it's an abandoned concept since sea units can't attack settlements anymore.

Last edited:
To revisit the topic of "Naval defense" in the editor: I've tested in the WW2 Pacific scenario by giving the Harbor the max Naval defense value of 10000000.

Amphibious assaults by marines showed zero difference. My marines were getting usual combat odds. I was expecting them getting slaughtered. But they won their engagements from Saigon assaulting Sibu and Formosa into Hongkong. There goes the "coastal fortress foils berserks" idea.

Next came naval bombardment, Air and Sea units got hit as usual. So they certainly don't enjoy any improvement bonuses. But they don't get city and metro bonuses either. Hongkong only had an Anzac Infantry. So that was the place to test if he can be shielded from naval bombardment. But no, he got redlined by my eastern fleet just fine.

So what does that "Naval defense" thing even do? Wikipedia says it increases defense against "naval attacks". What the heck are "naval attacks" if they aren't naval bombardment and amph. assaults? Ships can't attack settlements. Mobile air units attacking (not bombarding) from carriers?

And with PTW targeting enabled for naval bombard units how is the "Sea Bombard" value used? PTW targeting randomly selects an improvement to target. So when the an improvement with Sea Bombard value gets selected that value will be pitted against the bombard strength instead of the usual defense stat of improvements set in the rules section of the editor (stock game sets it at 16)?

PTW style targeting for my naval units leaves me with pointless coastal fortresses again. I'm trying to do something with that "Naval defense" stat. It seems like stock game editor doesn't even display it : http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads9/cfort.jpg. Maybe it's an abandoned concept since sea units can't attack settlements anymore.
It is entirely possible it is an abandoned concept. Thank you for testing and reporting back. I may have to go ahead and remove that field at least from the default configuration (while allowing it to be made re-visible for future experiments at lower safety levels).

A couple questions though. First, what is "PTW targeting"? Did targeting change in PTW versus Vanilla? It's been so long since I played Vanilla that I don't remember the differences very well anymore (I still play PTW every year or two in a GOTM).

Second, by "Wikipedia" do you mean the Civilopedia? Or the Firaxis help file? Or something else?

Hello Quintillus,

I am sorry if you addressed this in your recent comments and perhaps I am just not understanding the fix. I have run into an issue in which custom icons for units and techs do not appear in the editor. I see many previous comments note this happening with Linux/Mac systems but I am running the Steam version on Windows 10. Not sure if the slashes matter but all my directories/text files in my Civ files use backslashes.

Thanks in advance.

Hello Quintillus,

I am sorry if you addressed this in your recent comments and perhaps I am just not understanding the fix. I have run into an issue in which custom icons for units and techs do not appear in the editor. I see many previous comments note this happening with Linux/Mac systems but I am running the Steam version on Windows 10. Not sure if the slashes matter but all my directories/text files in my Civ files use backslashes.

Thanks in advance.
They should only appear on the GOOD and TECH tabs at this time, and only when opening a saved .BIQ (not when creating a new one).

Testing with some base-game scenarios on the Steam version on Windows 10, I don't see anything out of the ordinary. Are you loading a specific scenario or does it happen for all scenarios (e.g. 2 MP Rise of Rome.biq)? Posting your log.txt file (or the end of it) and noting which scenario is involved could be helpful in tracking down the issue; I have to be able to reproduce it to be able to make a fix to a potential issue.

They should only appear on the GOOD and TECH tabs at this time, and only when opening a saved .BIQ (not when creating a new one).

Testing with some base-game scenarios on the Steam version on Windows 10, I don't see anything out of the ordinary. Are you loading a specific scenario or does it happen for all scenarios (e.g. 2 MP Rise of Rome.biq)? Posting your log.txt file (or the end of it) and noting which scenario is involved could be helpful in tracking down the issue; I have to be able to reproduce it to be able to make a fix to a potential issue.
I believe I found the reason why this has occurred. The problem I was having was with all user-created scenarios, whether downloaded from Civfanatics or made myself. All of the base-game scenarios worked fine. I then realized that I have always put custom scenarios in my Conquests/Conquests folder. When attempting to open these scenario BIQs from the Conquests folder, the editor failed to load the proper units32 and tech icons, hence why they weren't showing up in my editor. I moved the user-created scenario to the Conquests/Scenario folder and now the custom icons/units32 are now appearing properly.

Thanks for the clarification for workers. What Theov has done is lower the Rate Cap for some governments. With your answers, I now have a much better idea of what might be done. Thank you very much.
The cap rate is the max of science (or lux or tax for that matter) you can spend per turn.
For some govs I lowered it, so slow down scientific progress.
The worker rate is just how fast workers do their job. Iirc 2 is standard (100%) which makes 3 a rate of 150% etc.
They are not related to the science cap.

Greetings Quintillus, I have discovered that with your editor, it is possible to add resources to the end of the string and then move them up into the first 32 of the natural resource list to put them into the Strategic and Luxury Resource list for the standard game. This makes if very easy to add additional Strategic and Luxury Resources such as Steel and Ship Timber. Thanks very much for this feature.

Top Bottom