Crossbowman

Bugguts

Chieftain
Playing a game of Rise I noticed a hoard of Crossbowman arriving from the Illians. I asked on the bug board about this and Valk said this change from a national unit to a standard unit was brought over from ff. That means your standard attack unit (champion) has a base attack of 6 and your standard defence unit (crossbowman) has a defence of 13. Anyone know the logic for this? Why have longbowman any more?

Ok, guess there's going to be some lots of changes. Sounds like it'll be fun when you get done Valk. Meanwhile, what do people use to take out the Crossbowman with? Just have to crank up to special units and use them?

I loaded FF and it has Crossbowman as national units. Orbis did switch crossbowman to standard troops. However, they were reduced to 7 in strength. This makes a huge difference. But if this is all going to be changed with the next patch I guess it's all moot anyway.

So we can estimate the time to arrival at about?

You probably already have a specific plan in line, but this seems like as good a place as any to mention that I always thought that Archers double-dipped on bonuses (or triple-dipped?), getting their higher defense than offense, *and* higher city and hill defense, *and* an offensive ranged attack as well. That, combined with the extra micro that ranged attacks cost... I really wish that ranged attacks were more limited. I don't think Archers should get them (they're already good for city defense... with ranged attacks, they're great for offense too), and I don't think Crossbowmen should get them (though I forget whether or not Crossbowmen in RiFE get ranged attacks or not... I haven't really played far enough into the tree that many times, because I'm still trying to get a handle on all the changes from FfH through playing different civs).

If ranged attacks were more limited, like Longbowman, some siege, some boats/heroes, etc... I think it would cut down on micro *and* give the longbowman a clear role. Of course, like I said, you guys probably already have a specific plan in mind...

Ya I came accross this too, Had to change them back to a national unit......cause the AI seems to realy realy realy like them and ends up with hordes of them. UnitClassInfos.xml is the file to look and change if others want to take it back to how it should be pre patch, its this line :- <iMaxPlayerInstances>-1</iMaxPlayerInstances>

Change from a -1 to a 4

Horem- thanks for the info. I'd given up on the mod while waiting for the update. But I'm a computer dummy. Found the place you describe, but it won't let me change the number. Do I need some particular software to open the file or something?

Horem- thanks for the info. I'd given up on the mod while waiting for the update. But I'm a computer dummy. Found the place you describe, but it won't let me change the number. Do I need some particular software to open the file or something?

Most likely, you're on Windows Vista or Win7. In which case, UAC is having it's way with you.

Assuming you are admin, you have to options:
  1. Take possession of the folder, granting yourself full rights. This is what I did, as I make numerous changes. I'd recommend option 2, though.
  2. Copy the file to a non-protected folder (documents, images, desktop, whatever. Out of Program Files), make your change, paste back in. Will need to provide admin permission, but easy enough.

Make sure you are right clicking and picking 'edit' otherwise it will just load it as an explorer document. Also you may have to set the file to open with notepad, you can do this by rightclicking and choosing 'open with' .. you'll probably have to select the default program and search around for it.

Most likely, you're on Windows Vista or Win7. In which case, UAC is having it's way with you.

Assuming you are admin, you have to options:
  1. Take possession of the folder, granting yourself full rights. This is what I did, as I make numerous changes. I'd recommend option 2, though.
  2. Copy the file to a non-protected folder (documents, images, desktop, whatever. Out of Program Files), make your change, paste back in. Will need to provide admin permission, but easy enough.

Option 3... turn UAC off... it is a horrible horrible thing

Successfully changed and thanks alot for the help guys! I just opened the file with notepad and easy peasy I could change it...probably corrupted the files so my comp with explode in 30 secs...and the crossbowboys are back under control.

Top Bottom