CS-2 - The Sun Never Sets on the British Empire

Gaspar~ said:
My gut says we're taking a risk by building wonders instead of settlers, but TGL will be really really nice if our expansion plans go off the way we're hoping. Whip as soon as it can be whipped and then settlers galleys and archers all around for until the various expansion pushes we've discussed. Researchwise I'd say Writing -> IW, then probably a push towards CoL and Metal Casting. Again I'd definitely make sure we have Ireland and Scandinavia full before any OB though.

I agree. After this we need to go full out expansion to get another city on the continent (Munich is a shame, that land could be ours), and Ireland and some west or north African coast if possible. While working on this, something to think about is metal casting. Adding the Colossus to our financial coastal empire could put us up high in tech, allowing our smaller production base the oppurtunity to compete militarily.

Roster:
chriseay
Gaspar~
Eggs
shinku - Just played
senwiz - Up!!!

shinku said:
I'm sure we'll praise the GL when we'll see the city maintenance costs after settling five more cities :p

That said, it's true that I took the gambling path i.e. hoping the AI would not settle the land we are aiming for.
It will only be considered a bad or good move depending of the outcome ;)

Oh I quite agree. If it comes down to it we'll just have to take the land by force. That might work better in the long run anyways, as it will give us a small chance to build infrastructure first.

Saying that though, I still want to push for as much peacefully as we can. We have to leverage our traits and work towards the variant goal. Many coastal cities with lighthouses should be our goal as we push around the world.

Yeah, I wasn't criticizing the move, its a calculated gamble. I'm not sure I would have made it, but I don't think that means its the wrong move. If we get TGL and Colossus while maintaining an expansionist thrust, this game is as good as won, because it virtually guarantees we'll be first to Astronomy, and getting the Americas under our control means lots of good things.

Sort of my ideal vision of the game is 3 cities in the British Isles, 3-4 in Scandinavia, 2-3 in Africa, 1-2 in Eastern Russia. We sow discord in Europe, possibly taking out the French, while we build the economic infrastructure (courts, markets) to support a huge sprawling empire. We beeline to Astronomy, and send 10+ galleons full of military and settlers to America, and a couple more to Australia. We then beeline to Communism and get ready to take out India and whatever other part of Asia we need to get a handle on Globe spanning. At that point, its just however much conquest we need to achieve domination, probably at some point around 1900 AD.

Of course, no plan ever survives contact with the enemy, and I'm sure the AI will muck things up on multiple levels, but thats my vision. Depending on how long it takes us to get to Astronomy, I can see a potential war in Africa with Mali as well.

I have very little experience with this but it seems to me too that our economy really can't afford more than a couple more cities. So TGL with writing might have a been a good choice. I think we should try to fill Sweden with cottages first while scouting Finland and NE (and probably E) former soviet union. Then when we have axes and swords we can hopefully settle there peacefully and else we might have to start a little war. With the UK and Scandinavia both developed and not too many cities far away we should be able to extend our lead on europe rapidly and grab a tech lead, so that we can afford to keep most of our forces in Finland. Unlike us, Russia will have several civs breathing in it's neck.

Getting cities up in both Africa and Russia and securing them, while keeping up in tech, seems hard to me. But again, I've got no experience.

Eggs said:
Getting cities up in both Africa and Russia and securing them, while keeping up in tech, seems hard to me. But again, I've got no experience.

Oh, it will be hard! :p But, it's what I think we need to in order to accomplish our goal in a timely manner. Basically, I think waiting too long will make it so we have to war for far too much of what we need to be globe spanning. If we get enough in the expansion phase then hopefully we will only have to war with India, Arabia and China. That's still a lot. :eek:

Eggs said:
I have very little experience with this but it seems to me too that our economy really can't afford more than a couple more cities. So TGL with writing might have a been a good choice. I think we should try to fill Sweden with cottages first while scouting Finland and NE (and probably E) former soviet union. Then when we have axes and swords we can hopefully settle there peacefully and else we might have to start a little war. With the UK and Scandinavia both developed and not too many cities far away we should be able to extend our lead on europe rapidly and grab a tech lead, so that we can afford to keep most of our forces in Finland. Unlike us, Russia will have several civs breathing in it's neck.

Our tech will definitely take a hit, but really, it would be even worse to have to war for every bit of the globe-spanning, that means near constant military production and lots of WW. Running 50% sci for a long time isn't idea either, but if we can get Colossus/TGL, coastal cities even far from home will pay for themselves rather quickly. I don't worry about Colossus, its almost always a late build, so if TGL comes in, we're sitting pretty. And since I'd wager virtually every city we have will be on the coast until we hit the new world, I don't think the maintainance hit will be nearly as bad as it seems in the abstract.

Lurkers Coment: I'm playing a world map with England as well (Check it out: New Begenings, it's in the stories and tales) and what I did was got Friendly with Rome and got Iron, built swordsman, ferried them to north Africa, with a settler and warrior, and then took a bunch of South African Barb Cities. It's a good way to get a foothold in Africa if north Africa is taken. :dance: :ninja: :beer: :satan: :lol: :rotfl: :viking: :devil: :band: :suicide: [pissed] :banana:
I like smilies

Nuclear kid said:
Lurkers Coment: I'm playing a world map with England as well (Check it out: New Begenings, it's in the stories and tales) and what I did was got Friendly with Rome and got Iron, built swordsman, ferried them to north Africa, with a settler and warrior, and then took a bunch of South African Barb Cities. It's a good way to get a foothold in Africa if north Africa is taken. :dance: :ninja: :beer: :satan: :lol: :rotfl: :viking: :devil: :band: :suicide: [pissed] :banana:
I like smilies

My gosh, that is a lot of smilies.

Probably good advice though. Does Caesar have more than one iron? And are you telling us that we don't have iron? (I don't really want to know, we'll find out soon enough!)

EDIT: You have so many smilies I had to delete the one I had to post this reply. Amazing!

I agree with Gaspar. We should have mostly coastal cities except for a couple few in the new world. That, plus the AI's seeming reluctance to build the colossus, should get us by, especially if we get the lighthouse. We do need to remember that there are more AI's than normal on this map though, so putting off the Colossus forever is a no no. I think we should get out how ever many cities we can according to the plan while teching towards metal casting (do we have copper by the way?) and then build forge + Colossus in our highest production city. I assume that will be London, but you never know.

I can pick it up tonight. Sorry, I had a bit of a thing last night.

My roommate moved some stuff out of my room, finally. But, I had no light in there, so I had to spend the evening working on that and moving stuff around so I could sleep. LOL

If you wanna go ahead and take my turn, that's cool too. I, certainly, understand.

Obviously, we have the right idea here. Expansion is the ONLY way this will work. Either peaceably, perferred, or by killing the carp out of everyone. But, we can't have that....Cuz, then we would own the world, without anyone to play with. LOL

So, I am figuring out what the strategy is, but I don't have the whole thing in my head yet. Is there something, in particular, you guys want me to work on for my first set of turns, or should I just go on the whole expansionistic rampage? LOL :)

senwiz said:
I can pick it up tonight. Sorry, I had a bit of a thing last night.

My roommate moved some stuff out of my room, finally. But, I had no light in there, so I had to spend the evening working on that and moving stuff around so I could sleep. LOL

If you wanna go ahead and take my turn, that's cool too. I, certainly, understand.

Oh no, tonight's totally ok. I completely understand roommate issues. Just got a place of my own for the first time in 5 years about 6 months ago. Just wanted to make sure you saw it. :)

So I guess we have no copper, at least in any city boundaries as of yet. That should be semi high on the priority list. We'll have to get iron working too, because we certainly need one or the other. I'd like to have both if possible.

senwiz said:
So, I am figuring out what the strategy is, but I don't have the whole thing in my head yet. Is there something, in particular, you guys want me to work on for my first set of turns, or should I just go on the whole expansionistic rampage? LOL :)

I figure just expand peacefully to Ireland, another in scandanvia and if you get a chance to do more than that, well kudos to you. I think you're taking 15 and then we'll be a ten from then on.

Any other thoughts?

Yeah, whip the great lighthouse as soon as posssible, then work on getting cities up in Ireland and as far east into Scandinavia as you can.

Ok... How do you whip something? I hate to sound newbish, but....I have no idea what that means. :(

As for anything else...I can work on Ireland, and continue our movement East. :) I'd like to boot Munich in the nuts, but....we don't have the army for that yet. So, what I was thinking....If we ring him in, with a couple of well placed cities, we shouhld be able to take out fairly simply.

We'll see. I'll work it once I get home, and go from there. :)

Of course, if you have any thoughts or whatever, or want something done in particular...I'll do it. I'm still learning to win, so anything I pcik up from here, goes straight into the memory banks for later. ;)

senwiz said:
Ok... How do you whip something? I hate to sound newbish, but....I have no idea what that means. :(

If you open up the city screen, and press the button that I have circled below, it will use slavery to sacrifice population for shields (errr, hammers). By hovering over this it will tell you how much population will be sacrificed, and if you can't do it why not. This would either be because you are not running the slavery civic or there is not enough population to cover the amount of shields left on the build. The base rate is 30 shields per pop, and this is modified by bonuses provided by forges, factories, resources and the like. Whipping can be quite powerful in high food cities.

Top Bottom