C'thulhu?

Beleaguered

Chieftain
Since we have this water civ in the working, maybe they could expand on the octopus overlords premise, (worship of C'thulhu and the deep ones etc) and make a mechanic similar to the order/AV summoning in Basium/Hyboream. Since it was Kael that originally put them in and the fact that nothing has really been added since FFH2, I'll assume that he was the only one that was interested in the Mythos.

My thought was that the owner of the holy city of OO could perform a ritual that would bring the stone city of R'yleh out of the ocean somewhere, utilizing the new sea city addition. As with the angels/demons/frozen, you could have the choice of switching to the civ. Although it would have to require a later tech like arcane lore, as OO is a pretty early religion. As well as that C'thulhu would be bound to the city, as the stars aren't right for his true entrance into the world.

But unlike those civs, when you play as the Great Old One, you would only be allowed the one city, and would only have a limited number of units. Instead of expansion and conquest, you would have to enact a series of rituals, like the Illians, but instead of ascension to godhood, you would be opening dimensional portals to allow the Great Ones to subjugate the current gods, and start a new age of... tentacleness?

If you summoned C'thulhu up however, all nations (Except OO worshiping ones) would have to automatically declare war on him, for religous ones the reason would be the fact that their deities are threatened, and the agnostic would want to save the planet from destruction. Perhaps all wars between each other would stop too.

I'm not really sure how you would balance the fact that their in the water, perhaps give all civs some ability to transport across water without boats, or give them the ability to purchase boats at friendly seaside cities, if they have none.

As for the rituals performable by C'thulhu, I think there should be 5 of them, starting with one similar to Samhain, creating a bunch of undersea ruins that occasionally spawn Deep Ones under your control, then the other ones requiring you to first find artifacts like the Necromicon, (although thats the holy city OO building so maybe you need to sack the city or something).

At the end it would culminate with the summoning of a random Elder God (Azathoth, Shub Niggurath, Yog Sothoth, Etc, etc.) Which acts somewhat like Auric/Taranis ascended, but as well as that Cthulhu would also be allowed to roam and would also gain a substantial strength boost.

The summoned Elder God would have different stats depending on which one it was, Azathoth for example is a massive entity (actually bigger then the solar system, but that's irrelevant) and would have the highest strength. Shub Niggurath is the master of our primal fears, and would be a special unit summoner.

If you think this idea has any merit Valk, I would be happy to help out whatever way I can.

A few things:

• When I read the first part, I assumed you meant have the Bezeri summon them. I see that's not what you meant, but wanted to make it very clear: The Bezeri absolutely despise OO. They view it as a perversion of the true worship of the Ocean, and in fact are far more in favor of FoL.
  • While the religion is obviously inspired by the Cthulhu Mythos, I see no reason to incorporate that wholesale. Fall from Heaven is deep enough to stand on it's own IMO, I wouldn't want to bring that in.
  • Much of the team doesn't like the Frozen, let alone another summoned civ. The Frozen will most likely be moved into a module, similar to the Hamstalfar.

So, while it would be an interesting modmod, it is highly unlikely to have a place in RifE.

Lovecraft is so... so... you have to read him. I like the ideas of Beleaguered a lot, and summoning the old ones would totally fit to OO and the lore. I hate myself atm for not yet having the knowledge of coding. Is there no OO-addict who wants to make a module?

Greez,

Tschuggi

I read some of H.P. Lovecrafts books before they become popular "in the Internet", heck, I don't think we even had Internet back then. They are totally nuts with the main character always going crazy after witnessing something the author cooked up in his drug addled mind. I'd say that if you have read one of his books, you known the general drift of things in every one of them.

Also, I like the way Valkrionn's team thinks.

I read some of H.P. Lovecrafts books before they become popular "in the Internet", heck, I don't think we even had Internet back then. They are totally nuts with the main character always going crazy after witnessing something the author cooked up in his drug addled mind. I'd say that if you have read one of his books, you known the general drift of things in every one of them.

Also, I like the way Valkrionn's team thinks.

I totally disagree. But it is off topic. :p

I totally disagree. But it is off topic. :p

/agree

I also agree that Lovecraft is an acknowledged Master in the literary world and something not lightly disparaged. Pity his fame today was not fully realized when he was alive.

Righto then, I know the Bezeri hate the OO, (all animals hate the deep ones, as well as the humans with the "Innsmouth look") I was just hoping it could be added as a kind of direct opposite to the bezeri, as there are no other water dwelling civs.

Sounds like a great idea for a module modmod. When are you going to start creating it?

Dunno if I would, I've never actually done XML stuff, just custom units.

ok... who invented the necronomicon? H.P.L.

A single item borrowed would be a purposeful nod at Lovecraft. The same thing goes for Guybrush and Monkey Island, or any number of Monty Python references.

That does not mean we need to include, wholesale and without alteration, Lovecraftian lore. Erebus is not Lovecraftian, and never will be, in RifE at the very least.

To be perfectly honest, I am 100% in favor of renaming "Octopus Overlords" to "Old Ones" to both make the reference more subtle and allow more variability in the religion.

As much as I love Lovecraft (for really, he is the true visionary behind most modern horror), I think one of the beauties of FfH in general is its fully realized original world, and as Valkrionn said, outright stealing or too many references would take away from that.

That is not to say things can't be 'inspired by', however.

But honestly, the only thing that I can see anything inspired by the theme of 'Octopus Overlords' relating to the above working is if each religion had its own victory means, separate from all the normal victory conditions. Which would be cool, but is probably waaaaaaaay too much work. Even then I wouldn't put in a new summonable civ, so much as really mess with an existing one.

I personally think the OO should be taken out and put in a module. The hamstalfar are mch scarier than a bunch of psychic squids.:lol:

If you're changing Octopus Overlords, perhaps this info will help

Old Gregg is a transsexual merman who occasionally refers to his vagina (which emits a blinding light) as his "mangina." He inhabits a cave below the lake in a village called Black Lake. Old Gregg is extremely fond of Bailey's Irish Cream, as well as being a watercolor painter.

If you're changing Octopus Overlords, perhaps this info will help

Old Gregg is a transsexual merman who occasionally refers to his vagina (which emits a blinding light) as his "mangina." He inhabits a cave below the lake in a village called Black Lake. Old Gregg is extremely fond of Bailey's Irish Cream, as well as being a watercolor painter.

Are we sure he is a "merman" transexual and not a merwoman transexual? Or for that matter if he is indeed a mer anything, and not a victim of gamma radiation?:D

One problem with calling the Octopus Overlords the Old Ones is that they are not actually very old. Although Kael won't share all of the details, most of the evidence points to them being the creations of the dreams of Hemah, who is himself the creation of a dream of Danalin which is made into a nightmare by the influence of the whispering Hastur. They are not under the control of any god, but ultimately arise from the subconscious of the God of Water. They are certainly not as ancient as the gods, archangels, or Mankind. They probably did not exist until the current age, and are younger than many mortal main characters still living in Erebus.

On the other hand, their followers are crazy, and don't understand history nearly well enough to know how young their old ones are.

While the term Octopus Overlords is used in the game, in the lore they always seem simply to be called the Overlords, with no explicit reference to their possible cephalopodic nature. You could drop the Octopus part pretty easily.

Top Bottom