Cultural Diffusion

that's exactly what I was thinking while writing my previous post :D

I'm testing it in a quick game then I'll release it ;)

awesome! if you think its working alright and can release it by 5:30 (eastern standard) or so I'll test it in a game tonight. Damn i just realized thats like only an hour away, lol, im just excited to test this as i think it will add a lot of fun to the game and take away the frusteration of an AI civ settling next to you and grabbing that key resource turns before you would grab in by culture expansion, lol.

ok it's here.

default config allow the civ4 style culture spreading and tile flipping (limited by the beta version of the mod, of course)

to change that, just edit the file CultureDefines.lua in your "..\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\Cultural Diffusion (v 3)\Lua" folder with any text editor (notepad, ...) and replace the following line :

Code:
ALLOW_CIV4_SPREADING = true
to
Code:
ALLOW_CIV4_SPREADING = false

(not FALSE, False or 0, but exactly : false)

ok it's here.

default config allow the civ4 style culture spreading and tile flipping (limited by the beta version of the mod, of course)

to change that, just edit the file CultureDefines.lua in your "..\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\Cultural Diffusion (v 3)\Lua" folder with any text editor (notepad, ...) and replace the following line :

Code:
ALLOW_CIV4_SPREADING = true
to
Code:
ALLOW_CIV4_SPREADING = false
(not FALSE, False or 0, but exactly : false)

Appreciate it! :king:

The changes in the XML would affect vanilla-style culture spreading in undesirable ways, so do we need to delete the XML folder as well? Or does typing "false" in the above prevent it from loading?

ho yes, I forgot that, just delete the xml folder. (or change back the values in it)

thanks a bunch! Im trying it now

edit: ok so finished playing the beginning, i ran into other issues and had to stop but i had some feedback about this mod.

Really like it so far but some things were strange to me.

1: i had a city near a CS that had tiles that were 100% Bucharest and 0% Egyptian which is a problem seeing as i was egypt, lol. It never flipped and shouldn't have seeing as it was 2 tiles away from the nearest bucharest border. I would suggest that influence only be able to spread one tile beyond your borders. Also i think the CS culture was very very strong, maybe too strong. What are the parameters you are using? i had a city next to a citystate, borders touching to try out the mod. The tile i wanted was 70/30 them and never changed even after i got two culture producing buildings and started to expand out my borders.

Also what were the total culture numbers in the hover tooltip? They seemed random and not sure why they were showing and if maybe it was for testing reasons.

Love this. Was thinking about trying to do this myself, so hurray for free code!

I'll try to do some playtesting soon and let you know how it goes.

I'm not sure if the mod is working for me; I don't see any popups related to the culture influence. Is there something that would be incompatible?

I'm not sure if the mod is working for me; I don't see any popups related to the culture influence. Is there something that would be incompatible?

it should show if you hover over the plot at the bottom, it will say something like egyptian 90%, french 10% etc

There are several mods that might be incompatible with that piece of it, including Thal's mods.

There are several mods that might be incompatible with that piece of it, including Thal's mods.

hmmm, thats strange as i used it with thal's mod and it showed up fine for me, maybe its a load order thing

nop, afaik this mod should be compatible with most mod, including UI mod, as it does not overwrite any common files.

I'm using it right now with Thal's Balance, and as far as I can tell, it works fine with Attila Mods, Copasetic UI Tweaks, Kirneh - Worldview Tooltips.

I've also added the cultural info to the Mouse Over Hex, to take acompt of those that desactivate the one above the minimap (see screenshot)

Spoiler :

@The Loot : do you have some other mods activated ? if yes, which ones ?

Attachments

• culture3.jpg
    culture3.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 1,224

to change that, just edit the file CultureDefines.lua in your "..\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\Cultural Diffusion (v 3)\Lua" folder....

There's a way to make this an in-game option, like "raging barbarians" etc- I did this for my Puppet Empire mod (which I've just gone back to start debugging). Just add a row to the GameOptions table, and to query its value in a Lua script use Game.GetCustomOption("Type"), which will return 1 (if checked) or 0 (if unchecked). The default value is unchecked, so you'd probably want an option called "disable Civ4 culture spreading".

I just played a full game with the civ5-style culture spreading and no tiles flipped.:( I was playing a total culture whore game (almost 1000:c5culture:/turn), there were some tiles which had an 88:1 ratio of culture for many turns - but nothing.

An odd bug: One CS had some culture present 10+ tiles away.

There's a way to make this an in-game option, like "raging barbarians" etc- I did this for my Puppet Empire mod (which I've just gone back to start debugging). Just add a row to the GameOptions table, and to query its value in a Lua script use Game.GetCustomOption("Type"), which will return 1 (if checked) or 0 (if unchecked). The default value is unchecked, so you'd probably want an option called "disable Civ4 culture spreading".
thanks for the tip, that will be usefull !

I just played a full game with the civ5-style culture spreading and no tiles flipped.:( I was playing a total culture whore game (almost 1000:c5culture:/turn), there were some tiles which had an 88:1 ratio of culture for many turns - but nothing.

Sorry, I hadn't added the tile flipping check when Civ4 spreading is disabled.

I could simply do it by simply checking if an owned tile has more culture from another civ that the owner, but it seems a bit "direct". I'll add it to the next version anyway, at least for test purpose.

And there's no distance from city limit atm, given enough time, a CS culture could reach all map.

Sorry, I hadn't added the tile flipping check when Civ4 spreading is disabled.

Oops!:lol:

I could simply do it by simply checking if an owned tile has more culture from another civ that the owner, but it seems a bit "direct". I'll add it to the next version anyway, at least for test purpose.

Something like 3/4 or 2/3 ownership to prevent rapid flipping back and forth may be best. Oh, and maybe with a turn minimum! So a civ would need 5-10 turns with 67-75% or more in order to flip it to their ownership.

And there's no distance from city limit atm, given enough time, a CS culture could reach all map.

Perhaps some limit should be added? Around five tiles, like max city culture. It doesn't serve much purpose beyond that, I think.

Yeah i had similar problems both with the tiles not ever flipping and CS having rediculous culture spread, lol. I said it a few posts back but ill repeat the comment here that i think your culture shouldn't spread more then one tile away from your borders to prevent issues.

@The Loot : do you have some other mods activated ? if yes, which ones ?

Lets see, I have:

25 Max HP (Actually modified to do other combat/unit related updates)
AI Equalizer
Balance (AI, Ancient Ruins, City States, Civilizations)
Echoes of Ages
Emigration
Explorer (New Unit, changes)
Food Economy (Tradable Bonus Resources)
Have Fun! (Maybe this could be it)
History in the Making II (v3)
Wonders RealCiv
Luxury Resource Display
Naval XP Yards
No Settler (Modified with Misc city updates)
Saner AI City Locations
What Would Gandhi Do
YNAEMP (Map Pack, City States, CS Leaders)

Any chance of an update to fix the issues discussed above? It would be appreciated.:)

Please excuse me if someone already mentionned it, but, even if I really enjoyed this mod, I had a troublesome problem : when I capture a city in an ennemy territory, I can't keep any territory between the city and the rest of my territory. Do you see what I mean ? Sorry if it isn't very clear.

Actually, I see that more as a feature than a problem. When you capture a city, you should have to earn the loyalty of the surrounding area.

Of course, you run into a major issue where those plots would then be unworkable, causing lots of starvation and such.

Top Bottom