Cultural Diffusion

v0.5 uploaded, just a small bug fix.

ALLOW_CIV4_SPREADING = false -- if true, allow civilizations to gain new tile ownership via culture

noticed this change in culturedefines, civs can still get tiles from other civs right?

yep, the next line set that part :

Code:
ALLOW_TILE_FLIPPING = true -- if true, allow flipping of tiles from one civ to another (check CULTURE_FLIPPING_RATIO)

if both are true, then you gain new tiles with your culture from unowned tiles and other civ tiles.

if only the second is set to true you wont gain tiles that are unowned, but tiles could flip from one civ to another (except cities).

edit : and I'll change the description in the lua file, it wasn't clear.

Some things I noticed on testing the mod:
  • Culture bombs get largely undone the next turn
  • Water tiles are excluded (they show no culture percentages and don't flip)
  • When the game 'scrolls' to center on a unit, you get a whole list of culture percentages in a mouseover.
    Presumably of all the tile the mouse goes over while the world moves by under it.
  • A notification of a tile flip could be nice, like in TreeGrowth, with the flipped tile(s) highlighted with a pink/purple border.
    You could also add a condition that checks if tiles flipped that are adjacent to each other, you only get one notification for it.

Some things I noticed on testing the mod:
  • Culture bombs get largely undone the next turn
  • Water tiles are excluded (they show no culture percentages and don't flip)
  • When the game 'scrolls' to center on a unit, you get a whole list of culture percentages in a mouseover.
    Presumably of all the tile the mouse goes over while the world moves by under it.
  • A notification of a tile flip could be nice, like in TreeGrowth, with the flipped tile(s) highlighted with a pink/purple border.
    You could also add a condition that checks if tiles flipped that are adjacent to each other, you only get one notification for it.

1 - I believe he's trying to find a way to get culture bombing to be effective.

2 - Would be nice, should obviously be kept from crossing ocean but shore would be okay, but it kind of doesn't make sense for culture to affect water tiles.

3 - Might just have to have your mouse over the interface instead of the tiles.

4 - Notifications would be nice, yes.

I enjoyed testing out this Mod and look forward to using it as an essential for games in the future but currently a couple of issues need to be addressed before I start another new game with it.

The first is the fact after I conquer a city and puppet it or annex it the surrounding tiles still show cultural ownership of the previous civ even when that civ has no other cities anywhere around that area and also even when that civ has been completely conquered. Unless that civ still has another nearby city outputting culture then they should no longer even be showing culture on the tile once the city is lost and full ownership of the tile should be mine.

Another problem that has been already mentioned is culture bombs from artists have been rendered completely useless. Around one of my newly founded cities another nearby civ's culture from their much larger cities overtook a number of my tiles so I tried two different culture bombs and each time all those new tiles were taken back at the end of the next turn. Not only does this defeat the purpose in culture bombs but it also makes creating new cities later in the game difficult if you have neighboring civs because their culture immediately takes over your tiles since you haven't had time to build a ton of culture buildings.

yes, fixing the culture bomb for this mod is already in my todo list.

about the lingering culture, it's needed for my dynamic history mod so I've no plan to remove it. (the mod was made with that feature in mind from the start)

but once you capture a city, you will produce more culture on the surrounding plot that any other civs (the city will still output culture from the previous owner, but less than you) and culture is decaying each turn on every tiles, so a dead civ culture will slowly diseapear from the map, not immediatly, especially if it's culture is still high in some cities, but surely.

what is the threshold value for flipping? I have over 50% on tiles than haven't flipped. Good mod altogether. One pretty big problem though is if you invade a city with neighbouring cities with high culture, your city can have no cultural tiles. Please change it so cultural tiles gained by conquest can't be flipped (at least for a while).

what is the threshold value for flipping? I have over 50% on tiles than haven't flipped. Good mod altogether. One pretty big problem though is if you invade a city with neighbouring cities with high culture, your city can have no cultural tiles. Please change it so cultural tiles gained by conquest can't be flipped (at least for a while).

I believe the default value is 150, it's in "CultureDefines.lua".

And I also think you need 75%.

how many turns after capture do you end up with no tiles ? do you use v0.5 ?

I believe the default value is 150, it's in "CultureDefines.lua".

exactly.

new version with 2 bugfix, but nothing for the culture bombing yet.

question btw : does the AI use culture bomb ?

changelog :

v0.6 (May 02, 2011)
- tweak : malus is now only applied according to destination tile, not diffusing tile.
- bugfix : CULTURE_FLIPPING_RATIO is now applied to the total culture of a plot, not just the highest single value
- bugfix : a city build on a tile with another(s) existing civ culture but no culture from the city owner wasn't producing culture for him.

with the fix now that's exact :D

and maybe it's to high, I may change it to 60-65%

new version with 2 bugfix, but nothing for the culture bombing yet.

question btw : does the AI use culture bomb ?

changelog :

v0.6 (May 02, 2011)
- tweak : malus is now only applied according to destination tile, not diffusing tile.
- bugfix : CULTURE_FLIPPING_RATIO is now applied to the total culture of a plot, not just the highest single value
- bugfix : a city build on a tile with another(s) existing civ culture but no culture from the city owner wasn't producing culture for him.

with the fix now that's exact :D

and maybe it's to high, I may change it to 60-65%

I haven't looked into it, but is it possible to have the tool-tip not display the plot number info and just list the culture percentages of each Civ?

I haven't looked into it, but is it possible to have the tool-tip not display the plot number info and just list the culture percentages of each Civ?

yes, just change this line in CultureDefines.lua :

Code:
DEBUG_CULTURE = true

to

Code:
DEBUG_CULTURE = false

Hey there.

Would it be possible to make a spin-off mod where culture, added to this method, is also effected by military units in a similar fashion to that WWII scenario you made?

I've been pondering for a while, and think that when a military unit goes on an enemy tile directly adjecent to one of their own culture, the tile they're on (which was theirs) becomes yours. So imagine two start-up cities were next to each other, with the tiles touching. An enemy military unit steps over the border in to your land. That tile becomes theirs until you either gain it back by culture or put one of your military units on to it.

But then I thought that may be a little extreme for people, so maybe make it an action similar to pillage, where instead of destroying the improvement and getting coins, the tile becomes theirs (except not for neutral or non-adjecent tiles)...

Your thoughts?

--Kris

my main concern here is how the AI could handle it, but yes, I had some thoughts on how to mix military tiles flipping like in my Stalingrad's mod and culture tiles flipping like this one.

I'm currently making a larger WW2 mod with military tiles flipping, maybe I'll found some time after to try to implement something in this mod, as an option. the occupied tiles should flip only for a few turns or sooner if one of your units take it again.

In a similar subject, for my dynamic history mod, I'll like to have units modifying culture on tiles (adding, converting, removing), for this mod, I may remove the culture bombing ability for the great artist and make him spread culture instead. And it will give me the opportunity to try to high-jack a unit from AI control (I think smellymummy does it a while back...)

Yeah, I think around the 60% mark would be better. There is one rather large problem with this mod. When you take over a rival city, they can reclaim basically all of their tiles surrounding the city. Usually, in order to actually use your cities you take over, you have to completely wipe out the neighbouring civ. Also, once I razed a city, I think it was the last city for that civ, but the tiles that that city owned could not be taken over by other cities - it was still in the favour of a civ I had wiped out!

Other than that, a really, really great mod. :D

Yeah, I think around the 60% mark would be better. There is one rather large problem with this mod. When you take over a rival city, they can reclaim basically all of their tiles surrounding the city. Usually, in order to actually use your cities you take over, you have to completely wipe out the neighbouring civ. Also, once I razed a city, I think it was the last city for that civ, but the tiles that that city owned could not be taken over by other cities - it was still in the favour of a civ I had wiped out!

Other than that, a really, really great mod. :D

that's strange, how many turn for the rival civ to take your tiles back when you conquest one of his cities ?

and which version of the mod are you using ?

that's strange, how many turn for the rival civ to take your tiles back when you conquest one of his cities ?

and which version of the mod are you using ?

I am using the latest mod, and I think the number of turns varies. I haven't used it for a while but I'd say 3-7 turns at a guess.

could you post a savegame from just before you take a city with the problem ?

Top Bottom