Resource icon

Cultural Diversity

So, since my interest in this mod was now piqued by kittens, I have to ask... is it possible for modders to add their own groups?

I ask because I mostly play fictional mods, and I know at least some of the fictional mods could be gathered into their own groups based on setting (such as the Touhou, Fire Emblem, Warhammer, and Game of Thrones civs). It would be an interesting opportunity to introduce setting-specific music, art, and events. But it does sound like groupings have to be incorporated into the mod itself (rather than introduced modularly, like Events and Decisions)...

Absolutely it would be possible, yes. My Papal States mod will be doing just such a thing.

I've amended the OP, For Modders section, to provide some rudimentary instructions :)

Absolutely it would be possible, yes. My Papal States mod will be doing just such a thing.

I've amended the OP, For Modders section, to provide some rudimentary instructions :)
already your mod is modded. soon it will be mod-mod-mod-modded :)

Of course. Bring it on :D

Recommendations I can think of at 0800 while I'm at work:

• Plains (Sioux, etc.): keep the Archer/Archery bonus
  • Northwest Coast (Haida, Squamish, etc.): begin with a Monument (icon derived from a totem pole?)
  • Northeast Woodlands (Iroquois, etc.): bonus Influence with nearby city-states
  • Southeast (Cherokee, etc.): start with 2 nearby Wheat resources
  • Southwest: start with a nearby Gems resource
  • Great Basin (Shoshone, etc.): start with Piety unlocked
  • Californias: start with 2 extra tiles claimed
  • Plateau: start with a bonus trade route

Recommendations I can think of at 0800 while I'm at work:

• Plains (Sioux, etc.): keep the Archer/Archery bonus
  • Northwest Coast (Haida, Squamish, etc.): begin with a Monument (icon derived from a totem pole?)
  • Northeast Woodlands (Iroquois, etc.): bonus Influence with nearby city-states
  • Southeast (Cherokee, etc.): start with 2 nearby Wheat resources
  • Southwest: start with a nearby Gems resource
  • Great Basin (Shoshone, etc.): start with Piety unlocked
  • Californias: start with 2 extra tiles claimed
  • Plateau: start with a bonus trade route

I'd say those groups are way too specific at the moment. Almost all of JFD's groups seem to have a minimum of 5-6 civs. I was asking for another African group earlier and the response was that there was just not enough civs at the moment to support the split.

Yeah, I was kind of planning ahead for what's in the pipe. Africa is due for a split also. I know a couple teams are working on First Nations civs, so I thought I'd brainstorm at least.

I'd like to see a Tribal/First Nation Split:

• First Nations - Yupik, Haida, Iroquois, Dene, Inuit, Blackfoot, Cree, Wabanaki, Squamish,
    • Begin with a source of Improved Fur nearby.
  • Tribal Americans - Aymara, Cherokee, Kuhikugu, Muisca, Shoshone, Sioux, Tupi, Navajo
    • Begin with Archery and an Archer

Also can confirm that disabling Polynesia fixes the CTD problem.

That's actually a pretty reasonable split for what we have available now.

I suppose First Nations could be a legitimate place for the Sami?

I'm fairly convinced, then, to add a First Nations group. But only after a split to Africa is warranted (to get a nice, round 20 groups, and so that I can recover my data limit :lol:). In the meantime, splash screen suggestions are always welcome.

So, onto it African-civ modders :D

I'd defer to Tomatekh on this one, but he mentioned earlier a Bantu and a West African split. A High-African and Tribal-African, akin to the Americans, was talked about much further back, too.

But I'm not sure where civs like Kanem, Madagascar, and Kongo would go. Nor whether Mali and Songhai would be better off moved into West Africa (then they could start with a source of gold and/or salt :D). So, again, I'd defer to Tomatekh's wisdom before committing to any definitions.

I'd defer to Tomatekh on this one, but he mentioned earlier a Bantu and a West African split. A High-African and Tribal-African, akin to the Americans, was talked about much further back, too.

But I'm not sure where civs like Kanem, Madagascar, and Kongo would go. Nor whether Mali and Songhai would be better off moved into West Africa (then they could start with a source of gold and/or salt :D). So, again, I'd defer to Tomatekh's wisdom before committing to any definitions.

I've somewhat generalized my earlier proposal. It's still in core based around splitting the "Gulf of Guinea" culture group from the "Bantu" culture group (and when adding abilities, these two groups should serve as the basis to draw from), but, in terms of civs that are/will get made, a more general "West African" vs, well, I still need think of a name for the group but it’s mostly still a core Bantu group but more generalized to Central-South Africa.

With "West African" instead of "Nok" for the title, Ashanti more comfortably fits in the group (although it did fit before) and you have the option to move Mali and Songhai into the group. Gameplay reasons it works out as the Nok group should focus on areas such as Mining/Metal-Working, Religion, and/or Siege/Fortifications, and the first two of those, at least, works out really well for Mali and Songhai. (So the current Sub-Saharan mining theme should go to this group).

Kanem (not in West Africa) and Maasai (not Bantu) still serve as outliers, just next to the core regions/cultures. However, with West African already generalized, you can label Kanem in the group if you’re set on not adding them to the Islamic group, and, once it’s renamed to something more general, the Maasai fit with the Bantu civs as a Central-South African group.

West African:

Mali, Songhai, Ashanti, Benin, Nri, [Kanem]

"Bantu/Central-South Africa":

Kongo, Zimbabwe, Zulu, Imbangala, Monomotapa, [Maasai]

This nicely gives 6 civs to each group, though, I’d say least one more high-quality civ needs to be made for both of them before it justifies the work to split the African group.

Madagascar is Austronesian, it really shouldn’t be grouped with any of the African civs. If it wasn’t for some oddities I’d say group it with Champa and Indonesia, the other two Austronesian civs. Otherwise, maybe even Oceanic... idk, there's always going to be that one civ that will never fit. If nothing else, and you're dead set on an African grouping, just have to make sure the new name of the Bantu/Central-South Africa group is general enough to include them (even if none of the abilities would make sense).

If you changed Oceanic to Islander, Madagascar would certainly feel more comfortable there than in Bantu, especially considering the starting bonus, and all the Oceanic Civs are currently islanders anyway... although 'Islander' sure doesn't sound as pleasing as 'Oceanic'.

Also, wasn't the Empire of Kanem historically Islamic anyway? I could be thinking of an entirely different peoples though. Central African history certainly isn't one of my strong points.

EDIT: Wikipedia says they weren't Islamic for the first period of their existence, but during their heyday (c. 1000 - 1400) they certainly were.

Israel and Phonecia have changed to CIVILIZATION_LEUGI_ISRAEL and CIVILIZATION_MC_PHOENICIA. Can you include that in the next update?

I suppose First Nations could be a legitimate place for the Sami?

Yep, but you'll need to find a new name for the group seeing as FN basically means Aboriginal Canadians that aren't Metis or Inuit. The name Borealia could work, it was one of the proposed names for Canada and is the latin equivalent to the term "Australia". It's also more encompassing and could include the Samoyeds too.

I'm more than happy to look for splash screens.

Top Bottom