Votes: 6 8.7%
  • Phoenicians

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • Zhou

Votes: 9 13.0%
  • Random

Votes: 10 14.5%

• Total voters
Maybe they skipped the Aztecs because they decided to bump them to the Early Modern, and they either swapped an EM culture to the Medieval, or they're conjuring a new one from scratch?

I think Zapotec are medieval (they were even mentioned somewhere at one point by devs) and Aestethe.

Aztecs then would be Early Modern Militarist, to make them contemporaries to Spanish (sexy rivalries). It isn't as silly as it may seem, because Aztec empire was largely 15th century creation, and 1453 is seen as the end of medieval era as often or more often than 1492, so you may as well make them EM as their empire is right between those eras.

1) Making Aztecs and Incas (wink wink expansion pack with Andean cultures) EM solves the issue of not really being many American cultures for the period 1453 - 1700 (Iroquis, Lakota etc are all 18th or 19th century guys)
2) Consistent with Joseon Korea and Ming China being EM rather than medieval as well (Ming is 1368, Joseon is 1392, Aztec and Inca are late 14th century creations)
3) Solves the absurdity of Aestethe Aztecs.
4) The other solution, that '1/4 mistake' from the tweet refers to Umayyads being named Arabs instead, doesn't work because this would make for two cultures starting with letter A - and only one of them was postponed out of alphabetical order.

Last edited:
I think Zapotec are medieval (they were even mentioned somewhere at one point by devs) and Aestethe.

Aztecs then would be Early Modern Militarist, to make them contemporaries to Spanish (sexy rivalries). It isn't as silly as it may seem, because Aztec empire was largely 15th century creation, and 1453 is seen as the end of medieval era as often or more often than 1492, so you may as well make them EM as their empire is right between those eras.

1) Making Aztecs and Incas (wink wink expansion pack with Andean cultures) EM solves the issue of not really being many American cultures for the period 1453 - 1700 (Iroquis, Lakota etc are all 18th or 19th century guys)
2) Consistent with Joseon Korea and Ming China being EM rather than medieval as well (Ming is 1368, Joseon is 1392, Aztec and Inca are late 14th century creations)
4) The other solution, that '1/4 mistake' from the tweet refers to Umayyads being named Arabs instead, doesn't work because this would make for two cultures starting with letter A - and only one of them was postponed out of alphabetical order.
The problem with this is that they mentioned Byzantines were actually second in the alphabet for this era and they had to finish the culture card for the first.

So either they changed whoever was before Byz to Zapotecs (which would be fine), or maybe we get the Abbasids as well as Umayyads and the Abbasids are Aesthete.

It would be curious to omit the Americas entirely for the Medieval era, but considering they didn't have ANY East Asian civs in the Classical (bar you want to say Huns also represent Xiongnu route...), it's entirely plausible.

Based on what we’ve seen so far, I feel I can make some educated guesses for the remaining 3 eras.

Early modern:
Albian
Swedish
French
Spain
Muscovy
Portuguese
Dutch
Mamluk
Nipponese
Mughal

Industrial:
British
Napoleonic
Belgian
Prussian
Russian
American
Brazilian
Ottomans
Ethiopian
Japanese

Contemporary:
United Kingdom
Francais
Benelux
German
Italian
Soviet
‘Murican
Chinese
Indian
African (from the country of Africa)

Last edited:
Reactions: j51
Hopefully we get Argentina in the industrial era :fingercrossed:

I'd probably go with:

- Focus: Aesthete.
- Emblematic Unit: Mounted Grenadier.
- Emblematic Quarter: Chacra (can be placed away from other quarters, increases food production).

Hopefully we get Argentina in the industrial era :fingercrossed:

I'd probably go with:

- Focus: Aesthete.
- Emblematic Unit: Mounted Grenadier.
- Emblematic Quarter: Chacra (can be placed away from other quarters, increases food production).

Same here.

I think is most likely to find Argentina in Humankind that is Civ, but Mexico and obviously Brazil are even more likely (the latter probably in the Contemporary era), and I dont really see them focusing too much in South America, at least for release (I wish they do).

That being said, I think an Agrarian focus for an industrial Argentina would be more appropiate than Aesthete.

I think is most likely to find Argentina in Humankind that is Civ

Yeah, the french know that we exist jajaja

, but Mexico and obviously Brazil are even more likely (the latter probably in the Contemporary era), and I dont really see them focusing too much in South America, at least for release (I wish they do).

Most probably. Maybe if they don't add Inca in the base game, one of the expansion could focus on South American civs.

That being said, I think an Agrarian focus for an industrial Argentina would be more appropiate than Aesthete.

Yeah, but with the emblematic also being agrarian it was too much. I agree that Aesthete would be better for modern, but I don't see it likely to appear there.

I was pivoting between the big agrarian focus of our economy and the cultural achievements on the late industrial/modern era, with Tango music being a huge thing and Buenos Aires becoming a cultural beacon in the early 20th century (plus in general continuing to produce good works of art). So I went with Aesthete focus and agrarian emblematic. If I were to go with Agrarian focus, I'd make the emblematic quarter the arrabal (but I like the chacra more, and it could have a bigger effect on food than the agrarian focus).

I really hope we could get Aztec on Early Modern to have another reason to add Zapotecs on Medieval. But I dont see Aestethe Aztecs as something absurd, Aestethe seems to be religious related, and everybody link Aztecs with their "curious" religious rites. We must remember that compulsory education on the Calmécac included dance, poetry and chant.

Based on what we’ve seen so far, I feel I can make some educated guesses for the remaining 3 eras.
African (from the country of Africa)

Um.......that's a blob faction. And Africa isn't a single country.....

Maybe he meant South African?

Could the mysterious Aesthete Medieval culture be the Anasazi? :mischief:

Also the Early Modern era is going to be so crowded I can possibly see them waiting until Industrial to give us French based off of the Napoleonic period.

whoosh

The point I am making is that we have seen 5/10 European cultures in both classical and medieval, and it’s gonna get even more homogenous in later eras. There was a chance to show some diversity of cultures in earlier eras, but real world history means Colonialism and genocide is rampant in later eras, so the choices are somewhat thinned.

Last edited:
whoosh

The point I am making is that we have seen 5/10 European cultures in both classical and medieval, and it’s gonna get even more homogenous in later eras. There was a chance to show some diversity of cultures in earlier eras, but real world history means Colonialism and genocide is rampant in later eras, so the choices are somewhat thinned.
I don't think calling Africa a whole country or culture would help the situation.
Just make it into either Ethiopia, South Africa, or Nigeria.

I’m mocking the demonstrable eurocentrism in the choices so far. Lumping Africa in a later era would be par for the course.

So the Aztecs are the last Medieval era culture to be revealed, and they are Militarist, thus no Aesthete Medieval faction in Humankind at launch. Will other traits be completely absent in the next three eras?

I'll repost my predictions for the cultures of the last three eras. I'm expecting a lot of these to be wrong. Perhaps having Joseon Korea, Ming China and Tokugawa Japan in Early Modern would be too much East Asia?

Early Modern Era:
1. Dutch (Merchant)
2. Edo Japanese (Aesthete)
(was also considering Militarist for them)
3. Haudenosaunee (Agrarian) (was thinking they would be Militarist)
4. Joseon (Scientist) (was considering Aesthete, but obviously they went with Scientist)
5. Ming (Aesthete) (was also considering Merchant)
6. Mughals (Builder) (I guessed them correctly!)
7. Ottomans (Expansionist) (guessed correctly)
8.Poles (Militarist) (I guessed Agrarian for them)
9. Spanish (Expansionist) (guessed it correctly!)
10. Venetians (Merchant) (guessed correctly)

Runner ups/DLC material: Portuguese, Safavids, Songhai, Swedish, Kongolese, Vietnamese, Burmese, Mataram

Industrial Era:
1. Austro-Hungarians (Aesthete) (I was wrong about their name in-game and their trait, I guessed Merchant for them)
3. British (Scientist, Expansionist, or Merchant)
4. Ethiopians (Militarist or Aesthete)
5. French (Expansionist)
6. Iranians (Militarist or Aesthete)
7. Italians (Aesthete)
8. Russians (Agrarian)
9. Siamese (Aesthete)
10. Zulu (Militarist)

Runner ups/DLC material: Gran Colombians, Moroccans, Afghans, Mexicans, Ashanti, Sioux, Vietnamese, Prussians, Argentinians

Contemporary Era:
1. Americans (Scientist, Merchant or Militarist)
2. Australians (Merchant or Aesthete)
3. Brazilians (Militarist or Agrarian)
4. Chinese (Merchant or Builder)
5. Germans (Expansionist, Scientist or Militarist)
6. Indonesians (Merchant or Aesthete)
7. Nigerians (Aesthete)
8. Saudi Arabians (Merchant)
9. Soviets (Builder, Militarist or Scientist)
10. Turkish (Militarist)

Runner ups/DLC Material: Indians, South Koreans, South Africans, Swedish, Finnish, Filipinos, Lebanese, Canadians

Last edited:
I'll repost my predictions for the cultures of the last three eras. I'm expecting a lot of these to be wrong. Perhaps having Joseon Korea, Ming China and Tokugawa Japan in Early Modern would be too much East Asia?
We've seen Edo period looking samurai and hwachas in the screenshots, and the Ming were mentioned so I would be surprised if they changed it. At the same time I'm surprised that they would get 3 with maybe even the Mughals coming. I assume the rest would the rest be European with the Iroquois and Ottomans as well.

So according to the OpenDev, the Koreans and Japanese will be in the game (they will be in a scenario). I'm leaning towards them being both Early Modern factions, so I've changed my prediction list. Koreans instead of Joseon. Japanese instead of Tokugawa. I removed the Japanese from the Contemporary era and replaced them with the Turkish. Though I can see a modern Scandinavian country being in instead. I have a feeling a lot of my picks are too "diverse" than what Amplitude actually chose, but will we see in the coming months....

Korea, Japan and Ming for Imjin War recreations looks likely, and is the least they can do after having such a Europe-heavy Medieval era... :D

The big question is whether there will more than one faction for the Japanese and Koreans at launch.....:mischief:
I could see the developers avoiding the period of Japanese history from Meiji to WW2. Maybe Post-WW2 Japan would be featured instead.

Top Bottom