[MOD] Custom Combat

New update! Added new metal-based options (I decided to go with promotions), along with installation instructions in the Readme - https://github.com/freakygithub/civ4bull-sdk/tree/civ4-custom-combat-master
  • Remove metal requirement for metal-based units
  • Adjustable bonus damage promotion to melee units for having access to copper/iron (e.g. +20% strength for copper and +40% for iron)
    • If you change the damage bonuses mid-game, it will only affect newly built units
Next: Adjustable stack limits!

My my,
This is coming along nicely.
Promotion and bonuses is great, i need to think how i can merge it to my mod..

Maybe you can check out my mod and my ranged immunity, i would be happy to hear your thoughts on it.

Yeah :D Moved here (Beit Shemesh) almost 4 years ago from the US. Were you born here?

I've been keeping "Custom Combat - Feature - Start/End" comments in wherever possible, so hopefully that will help if you want to merge it in. Also, there are git changelists and branches here, which could be helpful for merging single features in.

I'll take a look at your ranged immunity - maybe I can steal it for custom siege combat :)

nice,
yup, born and raised ISL :)

good keep with the comments, its very important for the future.
i comment all over the place...

what is your basis? vanilla civ sdk?
i compare to the original code a modder started from, thats how i get to find the changes .

ill be glad to see my work else where, i hope you like it.

Yeah,
Ai and stacks, is a realy tough part.
There are many functions and entrie methodolgy that needs to be exahmind.

Maybe some other more, ai capable on corrent ai can work.
Here are some ideas i had:
Limit stack attacks: the amount of attacks is limited acvording to some stack logic.
Lets say, a stack with 10 units, can attack only 5 times.
Siege unit limit, each stack, can include x number of siege.
Or, limit attacks from plot to plot.

If the map will be cloggrd with mini stacks ai wont be able to set paths for units, produce, carry our wars and such.

I actually have no idea how Civ4Colonization works. Do you have a public source code repo available?

Would other people be interested in having tactical combat where your stacks go into a mini battlefield until it's resolved like MOO2 or HoMM? Would be even cooler if GGs were like HoMM heroes.
https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...hread-input-suggestions-wanted.441280/page-11

An attempt to use tactical mаp was made and 1. stopped for lack of time at modder 2. It was VERY popular. At the same time, the C2C team is working on multi-cards now, so you can use their achievements. At the same time, what prevents the AI that conducts operations on the strategic map – and not only them - from doing less at the tactical level is a huge question for critics. And yes, for the first time I see people playing НOM, avoiding tactical battles.
I played in НOM differently and to put it mildly, I am interested. The lack of a tactical level makes a Civilization either not global or unrealistic.
For example, at least partially realistic to simulate the fighting in it is in principle impossible. The difference between the range of a pilum /grenade throw and the range of even a World War II tactical aircraft is tens of thousands of times. Even the divisional guns fired hundreds of times farther. As a result, 1. Civ3 was extremely unrealistic in this sense (the fighter flew at a distance of 6 shots from the catapult and 3 from the gun; no comments) 2. In Civ4, they abandoned remote attacks in favor of realism, which turned out to be very relative – which is only worth the inability to shell the ports of the ships of the Second World War with a real firing range of 40 km and the pacifism of artillery in relation to everything except the walls.3. This is "corrected" in the mods and in the fifth civilization with its ultra-long-range crossbowmen and catapults. With realism said goodbye finally and play this fantasy under the guise of historical strategy is not very interesting.
In general, I fully agree, you need at least two map scales. This can be done virtually: for example, units that formally shoot at one cell have different numerical range indicators, which allows longer-range units to fire at the enemy without getting a retaliatory strike and, possibly, gives a proportional number of first strikes in defense. But it will be a terrible palliative-given the fact that the availability of targets on the virtual range cell is not regulated in any way.

P.S.This is less than an attempt to suggest that you immediately take up work in this area, just that you might have the impression that the tactics were not required.

Last edited:
I've got customizable number of combat rounds and damage per round in now locally.
By the way, how difficult will it be to adjust the damage for each round separately? It is quite obvious that the effectiveness of fire during the approach increases, but it is not only that (here it would be better to adjust the hit probability and effectiveness on armored units by rounds). Very often, a fighter is equipped with two or more types of weapons with different firing ranges. The most elementary – the proud owner of the rifle also uses grenades
. P.S. The first blows create additional rounds or work as something else? Sure, it's easy to check, but why not ask?:D

Yeah,
Ai and stacks, is a realy tough part.
There are many functions and entrie methodolgy that needs to be exahmind.

Maybe some other more, ai capable on corrent ai can work.
Here are some ideas i had:
Limit stack attacks: the amount of attacks is limited acvording to some stack logic.
Lets say, a stack with 10 units, can attack only 5 times.
Siege unit limit, each stack, can include x number of siege.
Or, limit attacks from plot to plot.

If the map will be cloggrd with mini stacks ai wont be able to set paths for units, produce, carry our wars and such.

These issues are being considered here:
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/concept-preview-combat-system-overhaul-part-2-to-part.670706/ (see section 5)

And also my rambling here
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/advanced-civ.614217/page-11#post-15460601

I apologize if I'm polluting\partially hijacking the thread with this stuff, but I think that we all share a desire for a better combat system that could be shared/parameterized across mods!

Top Bottom