Custom Music

KingArthur

Searching for the Holy Grail
I am trying to add some music to my Viking scenario but I can't get it to play - only the default music is playing (specifically, it's this music which seems to be playing C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Civilization III Complete\Conquests\sounds\Build\Ancient Music).

I've converted all the files into MP3s at the correct playback rate and placed them in this folder:
C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Civilization III Complete\Conquests\Scenarios\GV3Test\sounds\Build\Misc

Also, I created the music.txt file and placed that in the Text folder. Am I missing anything?

Diplomusic and Ambience Sfx play fine just not the music specified in the music.txt file. I know it's not the files themselves because I tried copying the build folder from another scenario (Plot's Rood) and the music.txt from there but it wouldn't play his music either - even though I do hear it when I fire up Rood. :cry:

Yes file paths are the same in the form of

Misc\songname.mp3

the music files are correctly named because I copied the name from the file in Windows Explorer and pasted it into the the text file.

Are you hearing the epic game music? If so, unfortunately, that just happens sometimes :(

This means you'll have to "replace" the epic game music with your music (by naming it the same and placing it in the same folders within your mod ;))

What's this Misc business? The tracks should be directly in ...Modfolder\Sounds\Build - have you got an extra folder in there somehow?

that's how EFZI2 was set up. I've tried it directly in the build folder and it doesn't work there either. It's all very frustrating.

It looks that way but I just don't see the logic in it because it does work for other scenarios (Rood) and my custom music text and sound files work when I put them in Rood too. So something about the way my scenario is set up is causing it, trying to find out what that something might be though is another matter. I don't want to replace the epic game music however, because I want to release it with the scenario and I'm sure that would upset quite a few people - especially the minority who don't like viking death metal and Swedish Folk music ;)

Are you hearing the epic game music? If so, unfortunately, that just happens sometimes :(

This means you'll have to "replace" the epic game music with your music (by naming it the same and placing it in the same folders within your mod ;))

I know what you mean. I don't know what causes the problem, either. I made a small scenario once, added the music from various other scenarios, and everything was fine. Then I added a couple more civs, and the music didn't work, and I had to set it up like in the epic game (so, Era-specific, rather than a playlist). I had tried everything I could think of. However, I had kept the music.txt file, and when I added a few more civs, it seemed to work again! (I knew this right away, because it couldn't find the 1st song, as it was in a different location under a different name :lol:)

So I think the bottom line is, this is just another scenario bug :(

You know what, me and El Justo were having this same problem the other week for some music for one of his projects. He seems to have gotten it solved, so let's see if he knows.

That'd be great Red Door. I would dearly love to get this sorted out. To protect my sanity I've moved on to finishing the civilopedia (which is the awful task I usually leave till the very last).

That's a great link. Thanks!

As for the problem, the only solution I can suggest is removing all the music and the script file and starting again, and hoping that whatever you did wrong before, you don't do again. It certainly seems baffling to me, since if you've set it up the same way that I did in Rood, it obviously ought to work!

@ Plotinus - yes it ought to work and my music.txt file and build folder works when I put it in Rood (where actually the music is quite a good fit).

@Pounder - I will PM him and ask him in case he doesn't find this thread.

@Vuldacon - yes it uses 3 eras but the point of the music.txt file is to specify a list of music that will play in a loop instead of the normal game music. When it works all you need is the music.txt and any number of MP3s that can be named however you like.

@Vuldacon - yes it uses 3 eras but the point of the music.txt file is to specify a list of music that will play in a loop instead of the normal game music. When it works all you need is the music.txt and any number of MP3s that can be named however you like.
KingArthur... yes, I know that, just wondered IF you have tried what I was saying.

KingArthur... yes, I know that, just wondered IF you have tried what I was saying.

Ah right, I'm with you. I did try that and it does work but it limits you to the number of different tracks you can have per era. I have 24 tracks that I want to play to give things a bit of variety plus I arranged them in the order I wanted them to play. What you suggest will make a decent enough backup plan.

El Justo reported back that he has the same problem and has so far been unable to fix it - sorry Pounder.

Probably this link will torment you all the more

http://audiolicence.net/t3_atmosphere.asp

A note of caution though, this music is not free but it is very professional and some of the pieces are really excellent. I'm tempted to buy some for my own listening pleasure.

El Justo reported back that he has the same problem and has so far been unable to fix it - sorry Pounder.

Probably this link will torment you all the more

http://audiolicence.net/t3_atmosphere.asp

A note of caution though, this music is not free but it is very professional and some of the pieces are really excellent. I'm tempted to buy some for my own listening pleasure.

Damn, I thought he did. Guess I better finally find a way to fix that.

Top Bottom