Damaging the Environment?

Jackanape

Warlord
I've recently begun harvesting much more than in the past, but I notice that there follows a red number--looks like combat damage on the screen--and its inevitably followed by Roosevelt's warning about my a use of the planet.

I can't find anything about this in any wiki, unless I missed it. Does anyone know anything about this, the mechanics or anything else?

The number is a yield from the chop. You may also notice that somehow you often finish the production in your city immediately after that.

Teddy has a hard-coded 'environmentalist' agenda, so he (and whoever else randomly receives it in the game) doesn't like those who chop forest and harvest stuff.

There are no other significant consequences of doing this except the diplomatic hit against Teddy and others with this agenda (it also affects adjacencies, appeals etc.)

Does Teddy like it if you plant trees?

No way I'm going to give up the production bonus during the earlier part of the game, so I'm wondering if I can get back in his good graces later on by using a builder charge to add a forest to one of my otherwise unimportant tiles.

He does approve if you plant trees, but that comes so late.

It doesn't matter for me, since Teddy always declares war and/or hates me regardless of what happens. Which is weird, because his agenda is not too bad but he often declares war on me anyways despite going "bully for you" not too long ago.

might make a nice scenario set in the late game... every chop, harvest, mine, tier 2 & tier 3 building adds "pollution" (or carbon) and the goal is to try and bring down global pollution. would be fascinating...

but politics aside, the AI can't handle basic diplomacy, let alone a "tragedy of the commons" simulator.

Teddy does like it if you build National Parks, so that may help out.
I play warmonger, so it's also a way of getting him to denounce me. :)
(and jungle tiles can be a pain. I so miss trading posts)

Damaging the environment isn't a factor in Civ VI *yet*, but it was in the earlier games, so it might return in an expansion.

Top Bottom