Dawn of Civilization General Discussion

The Turkic culture goal doesn't mention the turn deadline associated with it. Oops, wrong thread.
Spoiler "By turn 231" :
20211223214857_1.jpg

Last edited:
I think someone asked it before and I tried to search keywords but couldn't find it. Is there a way to change civilzations in the middle of gameplay?

I think someone asked it before and I tried to search keywords but couldn't find it. Is there a way to change civilizations in the middle of gameplay?
You have to wait till a new civ spawns then click yes when they ask you "Do you want to take over this new civilization?" Note that you can only do this once a game.

Isn't there an option within the World Builder? Perhaps not.

Still, it's an option within BUG - maybe you need to enable cheats, if you search on 'chipotle' you can find out how - and then... Press something Like Ctrl Alt Z? I don't know the shortcut, but someone else will.

Isn't there an option within the World Builder? Perhaps not.

Still, it's an option within BUG - maybe you need to enable cheats, if you search on 'chipotle' you can find out how - and then... Press something Like Ctrl Alt Z? I don't know the shortcut, but someone else will.
This post says that alt+z and shift+alt+z cycle you through the current civs (in either direction). I think there is another shortcut to select which civ you want from a drop-down menu, but I can't remember it, and I've only used it in RoM AND, so it might not be available in DoC.

Edit: the other shortcut is ctrl+shift+L, but it does not seem to work in DoC, so that might have been mod specific.

Last edited:
Yeah, the exact instructions are:
1) Find the CivilizationIV.ini in your Documents\My Games\Beyond The Sword folder, open it with a Notepad program.
2) CTRL+F for the line CheatCode variable, which by default is at 0.
3) Replace the 0 by chipotle, save the file.
4) In game, ALT+Z to switch to the next active player.

One issue though is that you won't have your historical and religious victories enabled since they're disabled for AI players, I'm not sure how to fix this.

If you're on the develop branch, you can Ctrl+C to open a drop down menu to select the player to switch to.

I think I went over it once, but I can easily revisit it. It doesn't take a lot of time.

Question: Is there any aptitude behind giving America another leader head after 1980? America did see a fundamental change in its politics afterward but the question is how much. While conservative presidents did undo many of the New Deal Deal Reforms, the core policies including Social Security remained in place until the present. If the issue was game turns I could even see the new leader coming around 1985 or 1990. With the rule (I think) that no living leaders can be used. I presume Reagan or Bush senior would be the main choices here.

In any case, I agree with Google Doc's suggestion that FDR's civic should be changed to Public Welfare. Individualism makes very little sense for him, as FDR expanded the government more than any other president and practically every Democrat attempted to follow in his footsteps. Lyndon Johnson is a prime example of this.

True but what the US is doing is still babytime compared to real countries.

True but what the US is doing is still babytime compared to real countries.

Do you mean in regards to public welfare?
Maybe in regards to programs offered but not in terms in people affected or money spent.

I get that, but I can say from personal experience is that the welfare America does have is the backbone of the country and was the signature of the country's policies for half a century. Individualism just does not fit that or the vision of FDR, that is why maybe is individualism is to be the favorite civic of a leader it should be a fourth leader head after 1980

There are arguments that FDR's social spending unified the country, and changed the ideology of the people to think more as citizens of the US rather than members of communities or states.
https://voxeu.org/article/how-roosevelt-s-welfare-programmes-made-america-great-again

Also go to page 25 of this report
https://law.yale.edu/sites/default/...cument/Fishback_SocialWelfareExpenditures.pdf

Last edited:
I think Individualism is appropriate for all periods of American history including the 20th century. Individualism did not suddenly become important because people voted for Reagan.

I think Individualism is appropriate for all periods of American history including the 20th century. Individualism did not suddenly become important because people voted for Reagan.
Agreed. The USA's never had an Egalitarian culture and/or society.
If FDR's favourite civic were changed to Public Welfare as suggested, Reagan would work well to pivot back to Free Enterprise.

I put Hitler into this mod but I draw the line at Reagan

I interpret Leo's comment as an outsider's view of the USA.

The USA has no external threats - it is surrounded by oceans and weaker (client) nations. It contains a common language & culture and is self sufficient in natural resources. The USA is only about 250 years old. Sometimes it sits quietly by itself on a continent sized fortress. Sometimes it goes around the world acting as global policeman. The USA does what it feels like doing at the time. That's babytime.

Washington, Lincoln, and FDR are sufficient. The founder, the reformer, and the end of isolationism. 3 leaders in 200 years is more than adequate. Heck, Japan gets 3 leaders in 1500 years.

The Regan-Hitler joke I have no words :lol:, LOL

But all jokes aside there is reason to believe that Reagan did in fact change the country's values. "The Reagan Revolution" as it was called. Until this time deviation from the New-Deal mold from either side would have been unacceptable. Richard Nixon passed a surprising amount of legislation considered "left" for his time. I think the sheer individualism is a bit of a political myth created by the present. It suits the Gilded Age well (despite the racial oppression that took place) but makes less before the civil war and after 1933.

https://millercenter.org/president/reagan/impact-and-legacy

The 1930s-80s was about reform. The New Deal, The Fair Deal, The Civil Rights Movement, The Great Society all of these was emphasized eliminating society's ills through government interventions. Free Market Indivualsim until the 1980s was mostly discredited. Had these reforms not talking place the social antagonisms would have created an unstable and less powerful country. This graph shows here the huge growth in government income and spending after 1933 when FDR took office. This is what made FDR decidedly different from all presidents that came before him.
https://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/statistics/data/federal-budget-receipts-and-outlays

To be honest I am not advocating for Reagan to be here, because of any love. Just that so much happened in US History 1930-1980, that individualism for FDR just doesn't sit right with me. All attitudes during the mid 20th century were different than today. There was almost universal basic income.

I am looking to see if there is a leader for Bush 41 as president. He was the effective 'forgein policy president'

Maybe there could be a compromise as there is for Russia and China that leader head after 1980 could depend on civics. With FDR being present for public welfare and a conservative president showing up with individualism?

Last edited:
Listen I know more than enough about US history in the 20th century to make decisions on this, just because my answers here are flippant and short doesn't mean that you have to throw links at me about basic points that I already know and agree with. The disagreement here is about the wider framing and long term trends and honestly a myopic view you have of recent history and (presumably) your own country.

Your argument is taken and rejected and I am not going to put a 20th century Republican president into this mod, or any additional 20th or 21st century for that matter.

Agreed. The USA's never had an Egalitarian culture and/or society.
If FDR's favourite civic were changed to Public Welfare as suggested, Reagan would work well to pivot back to Free Enterprise.

When I played as America: there was some sort of experiment:)
I choose Public Welfare in the period 1930-1980s and choose Free Trade after 1981 (Reagan' NL Reforms)
Well: both are great for America but Free Trade are more universal as I see

Top Bottom