Dawn of Civilization General Discussion

600 AD scenario?

Jungles and rainforests provide a barrier and prevent certain locations from being settled. In many cases, it is desired to have that in the early and mid-game.

Is it realistic? Was really no one able to cut large parts of jungle before? Weren't some civilizations living close to the equator capable of that like the mesoamerican civs, old civs in India, Indonesia and Africa?

It's also related to the idea that diseases were one of the barriers that prevented successful European colonization in some areas, and that advances in biology are required to overcome this barrier.

Admittedly, that's a Euro-centric perspective. I believe rainforests were added (in addition to jungle) to partly counter this, because rainforests can be improved (but not cut down) before Microbiology.

It's also related to the idea that diseases were one of the barriers that prevented successful European colonization in some areas, and that advances in biology are required to overcome this barrier.

Admittedly, that's a Euro-centric perspective. I believe rainforests were added (in addition to jungle) to partly counter this, because rainforests can be improved (but not cut down) before Microbiology.

So either aren't really realistic then, having jungle cut after or earlier than microbiology. Might as well just allow it earlier for convenience sake. Unless it is possible to make it possible for only those civs who have been historically able to cut down jungles

think of it as diseases such as malaria which are still prevalent today in equatorial places, jungles have to be hard to work, historically and gameplay-wise

I think I talk too much on this forum lately. I'll limit my interaction to discussing bug reports or urgent balance issues until I have completed my backlog and 1.15 is released.

Is hard to achieve Arabia UHV when China is so far ahead in tech. They don't even collapse when Mongols spawn.

This is in Regent difficulty and Normal speed:

Spoiler :
China Tech.jpg

Spoiler :
UHV Arabia.jpg

Spoiler :
China 1290.jpg

I also feel like is really difficulty to conquer China as Mongol, i usually have to waste a entire stack to make them collapse leaving no troops to conquer Russia and middle east

The Arabia game is playing from the 600 AD scenario, correct?

The Arabia game is playing from the 600 AD scenario, correct?
Yes, Mongolia eventually capitulated China but didn't collapse. Even after Mongolia collapse China was still strong. I think its fine for them not to collapse but having Cartography and Humanities in 1300 is not fine

May I ask the reason for Wonders not being buildable after anyone discovers their obsoleting tech? It could have led to some good exploits, especially in the 3000 BC scenario.

I think certain civs AIs (Especially Greece, Rome, Babylon and Egypt) should be encouraged to build more Wonders to prevent them not being built.

What do you mean by this?

I would say already on 3000 BC starts classical civs under-perform in their "natural" wonder building agenda. That's why sometimes Inca and Polynesia and even Maya could build "equivalents" of this wonders, which was a cute thing and a little boost in terms of the sacrificing historicity for the gameplay. Classical civs mostly busy fighting barbarians and building units. The new rule will minimize further the games were world can see Great Lighthouse and Great Library.

If that's the case, it was exactly what I was trying to get rid of.

If that's the case, it was exactly what I was trying to get rid of.

I know, but why? It is not inconceivable to imagine that non-Eurasian civilizations could have develop some remarkable equivalents to those wonders. Mesoamerican writing systems arose independently from other writing systems in the world, and their development represents one of the very few such origins in the history of writing. The Maya developed their huun-paper around the 5th century, which is roughly the same time that the codex became predominant over the scroll in the Roman world. Maya paper was more durable and a better writing surface than papyrus. There were many books in existence at the time of the Spanish conquest of Yucatán in the 16th century; most were destroyed by the Conquistadors and Catholic priests.

Spoiler Wisdom vs Knowledge :
“To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire wisdom, one must observe.”
- Marilyn vos Savant

Top Bottom