Dawn of Civilization General Discussion

Would unpacking all the .fpk files speed up the startup time?

So I guess I'll just have to live with long loading times?

In my experience loading times are slow after a fresh install and much faster afterwards. I use the git version of DoC with no FPKs and it takes 20 seconds at most on my laptop. More FPKs in the release version are not possible because it would adversely affect turn-to-turn loading times. I'd rather have a fluent game at the cost of a longer startup time.

Solid-state drive might help. (I tried playing DoC installed on SSD, but don't really remember how fast did it load.)

Oh yeah, I'll just go to the money tree to pluck some money to buy myself an SSD!

In my experience loading times are slow after a fresh install and much faster afterwards. I use the git version of DoC with no FPKs and it takes 20 seconds at most on my laptop. More FPKs in the release version are not possible because it would adversely affect turn-to-turn loading times. I'd rather have a fluent game at the cost of a longer startup time.

Hm, is there a way to force the game to never load from cache? Because I'm half assuming that I might have done that a long time ago and forgotten about it, in which case I might want to revert that.

Yes, but I never have so you have to find out elsewhere how it works.

sorry if this question are already being asked, i was search it and didnt found, but how can i complete vikings second UHV? i know if you open the compass the passage to Iceland will open but what to do next?

All naval units can enter Ocean tiles that are covered by your culture.

I feel like I should mention that I just spent an evening I actually wanted to use for modding to instead advertise this mod in the form of typing up an After Action Report on Reddit for that one Russia game I once salvaged. You're welcome. Also give me back my time!

Much appreciated.

Oh right, that was you, now I remember. You changed your avatar, that's why I didn't recognize you.

I would appreciate feedback about Arabia's stability now that they have a larger core. Still considering keeping Mecca excluded after all.

I would appreciate feedback about Arabia's stability now that they have a larger core. Still considering keeping Mecca excluded after all.

In my current Byzantium game they collapsed a bit after the Seljuk spawn, around 1000-1100ish. Haven't done any other playthroughs in 1.15 yet.

They still collapse - either a CTC or total collapse - before 1000 AD in my games. To be expected really, seeing as only the post-shift Core has been expanded and the collapses occur before the shift.

Is there a part in the World Builder where one can edit excess production as in sacrificing population or chopping down forests?

Speaking of which, I thought that maybe Great Engineers should have the finish construction ability add a lot of that, in case it was more than enough. This is useful if you spent several turns building a Wonder only to find out you could use them to build something else once a Great Engineer spawns.

In my current Byzantium game they collapsed a bit after the Seljuk spawn, around 1000-1100ish. Haven't done any other playthroughs in 1.15 yet.

They still collapse - either a CTC or total collapse - before 1000 AD in my games. To be expected really, seeing as only the post-shift Core has been expanded and the collapses occur before the shift.

I would corroborate both of these, based on a Byzantium playthrough up to 1100 AD. 600 AD start on Paragon/Epic. Arabs collapsed before Seljuqs spawned, at around 986 AD. I left Baghdad alive for the Arabs to flip, let Damascus, Jerusalem, Cairo, and Alexandria flip as well, reconquered an undefended Jerusalem by sea, and destroyed a stack of 2 Camel Archers and 4 Swordsmen at Trebizond before suing for initial peace roughly 12 turns after Arab spawn. Saw by borders that Arabs had conquered west up to the two independent Libyan cities. Didn't WB to check expansion in the other directions.

Alright, do you think the previous moved core was sufficient and it was just that the relocation came too late? Any ideas for a condition to trigger the relocation? Or is it maybe better/easier if they just start with the extended core?

As for the timing, it would probably be easier to just make the shifted core their only core. The only other tech I could think of for the shift would be Doctrine, but that's exactly as far away as Education is (both techs require Politics, and Education requires Civil Service while Doctrine requires Feudalism, both of which have identical base costs). As for the size, we could at least test the previous moved core to see if it works, but it seems weird to me to found your first city outside of the core (assuming we go the "only one core" route). Personally, I'd go for a compromise between the old shifted core and the new; keep the addition of Mecca, but remove Lower Egypt. If that proves insufficient, we can add Lower Egypt back to the core and test again.

Top Bottom