Dawn of Civilization General Discussion

I am using a pre-existing modifier for the UP, so I assumed it was already shown in the interface. And it doesn't depend on stability points at all, only your stability level. Those are distinct things that are always referred to as such.

Well, it was me who just recently pointed out:

"stability level" is not a stability value, levels are collapsing(-20 and less), unstable, shaky, stable, solid(20+). But even with this buggy implementation -- how can UP make 374 :commerce: with base 96

So (a) do we have buggy implementation with this new Chinese UP and (b) do we have 5 levels as stated above or not? If 5 is the number, why max is 40%? Do Chinese get +10% even with unstable level?

Last edited:
I have already said the current effect is not intended, and there are five stability levels (0-4).

How dare you try to manipulate me with my favourite anime

Hyouka's actually one of only four anime I rated 10/10, not counting movies. So using Chitandafaces is entirely in character for me.
I confess though I originally checked it out because of your avatar.

Last edited:
So that was definitely worth it! Glad you liked it. What are your other 10/10 anime?

Girls und Panzer(Commiesubs obligatory especially for a German speaker), Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun and FMA: Brotherhood.
We actually watched Hyouka in the local anime club a bit ago and made bets on the number of Kininarimasu before each episode. Though keeping a running graph on the amount of yuribait per episode of Hibike! Euphonium was more fun.

Girls und Panzer(Commiesubs obligatory especially for a German speaker), Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun and FMA: Brotherhood.
We actually watched Hyouka in the local anime club a bit ago and made bets on the number of Kininarimasu before each episode. Though keeping a running graph on the amount of yuribait per episode of Hibike! Euphonium was more fun.
My 10/10 mangas would probably be Fullmetal Alchemist, One Piece, Soul Eater, Ranma 1/2, and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. I say 10/10 mangas because One Piece and Soul Eater's anime are horrible adaptations, and I never found Ranma 1/2's anime quite as funny as it's manga.

JoJo and FMA:B are perfect adaptations though.

Seriously, the Soul Eater manga is amazing, if the anime didn't drop the ball so hard I doubt it'd be as forgotten as it currently is.

I love Bill Wurtz.

Norte Chico? Wait what? Does that mean we could have ANOTHER American civ?

I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this, but I recall Leoreth once suggesting that people submit screenshots of gameplay he could tweet or add to the Welcome thread as promotional material, and I thought this looked pretty cool:

Civ4ScreenShot0128.JPG

Germany and Austria-Hungary (minus Austria, heh) are in a three-way battle for dominance over the Italian peninsula with the surroundings of Independent Rome as the battleground. Currently the situation looks like a draw with no side able to make any advances through the mountainous terrain as they scramble for reinforcements to arrive and break through the enemy lines. Who will make the first step in this Mexican stand-off?

(Spoiler Alert: I did. I conquered Rome once reinforcements had arrived and then the Austrians decided to suicide attack it across the river, losing their entire army in the process and handing me Italy on a silver plate.)

Unrelated Edit: What was your reasoning behind turning Sugar and Whale into health resources primarily?

Last edited:
After a few test runs, I can confirm that with the new core, AI Arabia consistently lives to see the Seljuk invasion, and is pushed to collapse by said invasion (which I assume is the desired outcome). However, a new wrinkle has arisen from the situation. In all my test runs, I've never seen an Egypt rebirth; instead, upon Arabia's collapse, the Byzantines regain control of Cairo and Alexandria, while any and all other cities in Egypt turn Independent.

After a few test runs, I can confirm that with the new core, AI Arabia consistently lives to see the Seljuk invasion, and is pushed to collapse by said invasion (which I assume is the desired outcome). However, a new wrinkle has arisen from the situation. In all my test runs, I've never seen an Egypt rebirth; instead, upon Arabia's collapse, the Byzantines regain control of Cairo and Alexandria, while any and all other cities in Egypt turn Independent.

My Byzantium game had an Egypt rebirth, right before/around the time of Arabia's collapse. Though they collapsed around 1200.

My Byzantium game had an Egypt rebirth, right before/around the time of Arabia's collapse. Though they collapsed around 1200.
After running some more tests, I've encountered a single instance of Egypt spawning, and that only happened when Arabia didn't collapse immediately from the Seljuks like they usually do. So while it's possible, I still see Lower Egypt flip to Byzantium in the vast majority of my games. However, it should be noted that my test runs were as Mali, in order to start near the date of the invasion while putting as much distance between myself and Mesopotamia as possible, so if the code that flips Lower Egypt to Byzantium is AI only, that could explain why there's a discrepancy between our experiences.

So I'm a bit confused about religion founding mechanics:

Suppose Babylon is the first civ to discover Contract. Does Confucianism then get founded somewhere in its "core" area, i.e. China, even though China is nowhere near researching Contract itself? I.e. if I as a human play China, is there no point in beelining Contract because some AI civ on the other side of the world will cause Confucianism to be founded in one of my cities sooner or later anyway?

If you research the tech for a religion, it is founded immediately in one of the cities in that religion's area as long as you control at least one of these cities. But if you don't, it is not immediately founded in another civ's city. That only happens after half of all civs know the tech in question. So as for China, Confucianism will eventually come to you even if you don't research it, but it might take significantly longer.

Good to know. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but through all my various playthrough attempts with China Confucianism gets founded randomly in one of my cities before I can research Contract myself.

Honestly I don't really like how this plays out for the player either, but currently no better idea on how it should work instead.

Top Bottom