DCL evolution and proposition

Stormtrooper's offer is indeed very generous, and I will confer with him about what kind of spreadsheet we will have.

Good idea. You're welcome to suggest whatever you can think of, as long as it's realistically possible for me to implement it :)

On the DCL2, I'd like to see a Bonus Achievement for each map. I suggest it be something that fits specifically with the civ or map type, such as
*clearing the continent (preferably 3 or less opponents) and winning through something other than DomV
*marrying 'x' number of CS (Maria)
*allying most (14+) CS as Greece
*building an attainable wonder that is specific to that civ; double bonus example, build Machu Picchu in Machu!
*edit the map to let China start with the Great Wall (perhaps give us something to balance that out a bit), and we play as Mongolia with DomV suggested VC to earn Bonus Achievement. While we're at it, select the other 6 civs to relate to Mongolia either geographically or historically (i.e. conquered by them)

Yes, I'm considering such things. I'm very likely to make it so that the maps are almost like Single player scenarios, except that you start in the Ancient Era. So people can play it like the scenario and go for the specific achievements, or if they're really boring they can just plonk 4 cities and turtle to a T300-something blastoff.

Bad news: I'm afraid I'm having to retract my offer of hosting the next series, as I've been having horrendous overheating/crashing problems with my MacBook Pro and I can barely run the game, let alone for long enough to roll maps and test it. If I manage to resolve this issue before the end of the DCL in a month's time, I will happily step in if no one else has come forward by then, but I wouldn't count on it. I don't have enough spare money for a new computer and I'm out of warranty with this one.

For anyone else who can host, I have a Morocco map Medium/Hard which is ready for use. I rolled it because my first map back when I took over DCL #11 was Morocco, and I thought it was a fitting civ to choose.

PM me for more details.

Good luck all!

I should be able to help host... I'm traveling, so won't be able to give this much attention until next week.

OK so the computer problems haven't been resolved, but in between crashes, I've rolled a bunch of maps, some of which are actually pretty decent, so I've got the first few covered, unless someone has a really special map they'd like to submit.

I don't know when Acken will post the last two DCL maps, but I'll start the new series 2 weeks after he posts the last one, or on Halloween, whichever comes first.

I have a name for the series and a schedule: 1 modded game followed by 2 unmodded, and cycling through Easy, Medium, Hard).

The first map will be an Ottomans Pangaea with suggested VC as Domination, using the Mod 'Fixed Prophets'. The difficulty will be Easy.

This will have potential for a peaceful game for those that wish to disregard the suggested VC, as well as giving another chance for those who wanted to play Conquest on the DCL Ottomans map but were a bit disappointed by the odd shape of the land (sorry again for that!)

OK so the computer problems haven't been resolved, but in between crashes, I've rolled a bunch of maps, some of which are actually pretty decent, so I've got the first few covered, unless someone has a really special map they'd like to submit.

I don't know when Acken will post the last two DCL maps, but I'll start the new series 2 weeks after he posts the last one, or on Halloween, whichever comes first.

I have a name for the series and a schedule: 1 modded game followed by 2 unmodded, and cycling through Easy, Medium, Hard).

I like the schedule, difficulty balance, and victory suggestion concept - well done. Looking forward to it, and the remaining 2 from Acken.

Good thing I just found out the old Ottoman DCL which I've missed and played few unsatisfactory turns while waiting the next new one - now I have an incentive to play it through in near future.

What comes to new maps I've been trying to roll something interesting with Washy and Theo without much of success but this brought up a question which has been mentioned to a lesser degree sometime in the past: how do people feel about larger map than the std? To slightly compensate the extra land high seas would be used and most likely one or even two AIs removed to keep the turn times reasonable.

I like the idea of trying out a mod every couple games, but is it really worth going through the bother of installing a mod (especially on mac/linux where you have to jump through some hoops to get it working, and dll mods won't work at all) for something as minor as getting the prophet on a fixed amount of faith? Or are there stronger implications than I realize?

I've rolled a bunch of maps, some of which are actually pretty decent, so I've got the first few covered, unless someone has a really special map they'd like to submit.

Thanks so much!

I like both of those ideas in principle. But that means that the modded game is always Easy and that there is never an unmodded Easy game. I guess that is okay, but was that your intent?

I like the idea of trying out a mod every couple games, but is it really worth going through the bother of installing a mod (especially on mac/linux where you have to jump through some hoops to get it working, and dll mods won't work at all) for something as minor as getting the prophet on a fixed amount of faith? Or are there stronger implications than I realize?

I had the same question. It really does not seem worth the bother to only pick up that one small specific thing. Fixing several small things would worth trying.

Hi guys. I've been passively reading and playing for a long time. Thing is I'm writing a PhD and hate writing. So I'm traumatised by writing outside thesis time. haha.

I know you've kind of decided already, but I thought I'd offer my tuppence worth and let you know I'm still alive.

A3 - Always more interesting to play a DCL than regular Civ.
B2 - I want the challenges to be generally more difficult than they've been.
C1 - More the merrier. Don't have to play them all.
D2 - Mods are ok with me.
E4 - I've always said that there should be certain challenges. I love the idea of bonus challenges too.
F1 - I'm a complete pussy when it comes to domination.
G3 - The CV is the most interesting victory for me. The SV and DV are too easy, and DomV is too "clicky" for my taste/laptop. But I'd be up for some Dom challenges too.

I don't mind participating by organising a challenge or two. I really appreciate everyone's effort - you're legends of the Civ community.

Some of the maps on the new series are Large, to answer that question.

But that means that the modded game is always Easy and that there is never an unmodded Easy game.

Sorry for the confusion. It won't always go Easy, Medium, Hard. The cycling will be irregular.

I had the same question. It really does not seem worth the bother to only pick up that one small specific thing. Fixing several small things would worth trying.

In general, there will be more, it's just that this map is great and I happened to roll it only with Fixed Prophets. Other modded challenges have 2/3+ mods.

I don't mind participating by organising a challenge or two. I really appreciate everyone's effort - you're legends of the Civ community.

That's great news. Choose any civ besides Ottoman, Morocco, Iroquois and roll a map.

In the many months I was host of DCL the first time round, I only had 1 submission that was useable, so I don't count on that being a very big problem this time around. I may not even solicit maps. It's better just to roll and tweak them myself, assisted hopefully by Grendeldef and Budweiser.

Why is rolling interesting maps not a big problem? The above sounds like you had lots of submissions that were terrible. Or am I miss reading this?

Sorry for the confusion. It won't always go Easy, Medium, Hard. The cycling will be irregular.

Thanks for the clarification. My confusion reminded me that I meant ask about your post above!

In general, there will be more, it's just that this map is great and I happened to roll it only with Fixed Prophets. Other modded challenges have 2/3+ mods.

Okay, that makes sense.

That's great news. Choose any civ besides Ottoman, Morocco, Iroquois and roll a map.

I call dibs on Venice. When they appeared in the DCL, the map was cooked. I have an idea for startup settings that might make them interesting to play. I will try it before I submit it.

When the Ottomans come around after this next time, the side challenge should be to pick up one of every naval UU.

Why is rolling interesting maps not a big problem? The above sounds like you had lots of submissions that were terrible. Or am I miss reading this?

It's not a problem for me because, frankly, I seem to have a better idea of what makes for games that I consider fun. Yeah, most of the maps I received before were like this:-

90% with map packs enabled
5% with no close neighbours
5% with absolutely appalling dirt where Acken would struggle to get a sub T300 SV.

I've rolled a few, but would welcome decent submissions that are actually both fun and challenging.

Continents, Pangaea, Fractal...small Continents at a push.

Nothing ludicrous.

Top Bottom