Dealing with Attila on deity

poxpower

Prince

So that's turn 100.
He had this same army on turn 50, but I sent him to attack someone else. I didn't bribe him this time, so he declared war on me on turn 90ish.

Other than bribing him, what could I possibly ever do against this?

1-2 more archers and prioritise money for upgrades helps somewhat.

AI likes to accept peace after 7-10 turns, even Atilla. So 4-5 composites tends to be sufficient to hold on w/o losing cities. Even make 6 if the neighbourhood is especially vile.

Easiest is as you say though, just pay him to run after everyone else. Alas, not always you have the cash for that.

Better yet, attack him. I'd wait a few turns after the initial bribe so his troops will be well on their way towards the other civ, but when you fight him away from your cities, you can seriously whittle down his Rams before they even get close to a city. Not only is he now fighting two fronts, but you also got your bribe money back.

Rams can only attack cities, so if you have units in front of your cities, they are useless. They actually clog up his front lines so you can attack with your spearmen and composite bows while taking less damage from his horse archers.

As has already been suggested, bribe him to attack somebody else, or build up enough of an army that he has to fight your army rather than your cities.

Also, looking at your screenshot, it looks like you settled Heliopolis in a difficult to defend location. Usually you are more concerned with the tiles a city works, but against aggressive opponents you also have to think strategically about where to settle. Use mountains and rivers to create difficult or impossible obstacles for your enemies to attack over.

The Celts also sometimes attack early with their pictish warriors, and as soon as you saw Attila (I assume he is to the east), I would have tried to use that mountain range as a natural border. If you expanded only to the west, you could have your army block that 4-tile hilly area between the mountains and the ocean. Put archers on the hills and a line of 4 spearmen in front, and he will have trouble attacking that.

This of course assumes there is decent land to the west. Sometimes you just have to fight it out if you need the good land near an AI.

Making more units. Sorry but 1 spear 1 warrior 2 archer 1CB aren't going to cut it.

You need 4-5 CB at the front city with 2-3 melee blockers (spears and then pikes).

It just always feels like to get national college faster, there's no time to make archers and no gold left to upgrade them that fast :(

Do you have a game where you spawned next to shaka/attila ?

As soon as you see someone aggressive next to you, forget about science and just get military tech to rush him. Yes, even Shaka can be CB rushed.

You have Attila problem and building Temple(Burial Tomb) in Memphis.

Based on the color of that caravan (top left), I'd say you also have Boudica problem.

More pointy sticks. Bribe more. Bribe with your last copy of lux if need be.

T r a i n

u n i t s

Send me the savegame and I'll show you my T100 screenshot ;)

Basically what you want to do is make Granaries, Libraries and units. In this case, it's only fair to delay Libraries for more units

It's an interesting screenshot in that it's heavily cropped. I suspect the reason you cropped it is because you know why you lost.

That burial tomb is the only thing I need to see to know why you lost. You do too.

It's an interesting screenshot in that it's heavily cropped. I suspect the reason you cropped it is because you know why you lost.

That burial tomb is the only thing I need to see to know why you lost. You do too.

I guess that I could have not built them and still lost almost no time towards victory since they're only mostly good for happiness.

I'm just always trying to figure out how to make fast NC lol. But in the end it doesn't seem to matter that much, taking a big AI city probably produces more science in the long run, correct?

OP, please do post your T0 file. I think this might be a good candidate for CDG. Desert start and hostile neighbors are both interesting factors!

OP, please do post your T0 file. I think this might be a good candidate for CDG. Desert start and hostile neighbors are both interesting factors!

I haven't played a game as Egypt in ages and that screenshot does scream at a yummy Petra provided one can survive OP's Hunnish dilemma.

you probably needed to prepare more for an attack if you were going to settle that city so close to attila. if i am expanding aggressively comp bows asap are the priority

I guess that I could have not built them and still lost almost no time towards victory since they're only mostly good for happiness.

I'm just always trying to figure out how to make fast NC lol. But in the end it doesn't seem to matter that much, taking a big AI city probably produces more science in the long run, correct?

The point is that you were building infrastructure, and non essential infrastructure at that, while you knew Attila was wandering around with that much of a force. Your time towards victory goes negative if you lose a city, so you need to be building military more.

Sometimes you get a good map and you can ignore construction until after, other times you get the Huns right next door and you need to plan for having a dozen battering rams on your doorstep by T80. You need enough units to fortify in front of your cities and take some hits until the Cbows can dissuade him from bothering you for awhile.

If he had just settled on top of the sheep (hill backed up against a mountain), do you think that would have made the difference? Notice the swamps and the river. I think it would still take another couple of spears and bows. We also don't know how many more Hun units are out of the screen.

If you win an epic battle against Attila, you can often take his cities because they will be left defenseless (he throws everything he has at you)

I can win at Immortal, but I haven't won a real game yet at Deity. Maybe I can learn something from Pox's mistakes :)

If he had just settled on top of the sheep (hill backed up against a mountain), do you think that would have made the difference? Notice the swamps and the river. I think it would still take another couple of spears and bows. We also don't know how many more Hun units are out of the screen.

If you win an epic battle against Attila, you can often take his cities because they will be left defenseless (he throws everything he has at you)

I can win at Immortal, but I haven't won a real game yet at Deity. Maybe I can learn something from Pox's mistakes :)

I was thinking that myself, but hadn't posted it yet. I think that spot was picked due to how many things it can get within 3 tiles (I see cows, wheat and Iron within ring 3 on the right), but it'd be better on the sheep. You can easily fan out ranged units in those hills, and create a good death vortex to kill units. However, only 1 comp bow will not help against that horde, you need to be able to funnel them into something to slaughter them 1 at a time. By moving the city onto the sheep, the spot where the city is would be open for Atilla's units to be trapped in and death can rain on them from the Gems and hills surrounding the city.

And hang on, where are Egypt's War Chariots!!!! They are just as powerful and easy to build as HA's!!! There should be 5 of those rolling around killing everything in sight! Why has no one mentioned this yet!

Top Bottom