1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Dealing with Demands from other nations - Informal Poll

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Demo Game V: Polls' started by GenMarshall, Aug 5, 2004.

?

What demands should we give into

Poll closed Aug 9, 2004.
  1. Gold Demand (Under or equal to 15g)

54.3%
  2. Gold Demand (15-25g)

22.9%
  3. Gold Demand (25-50g)

5.7%
  4. Gold Demand (50g or more)

2.9%
  5. Map Demand (World Map)

28.6%
  6. Map Demand (Territory Map)

31.4%
  7. Resource Demand (Luxuries)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Resource Demand (Stratigic)

2.9%
  9. Communications Demand

14.3%
  10. None of the Above

17.1%
  11. Abstain

20.0%
  12. Techs

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Ghost Agent

Versailles City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    Ravensfire - This poll is an informal poll. Any information of the results will be shared between the Trade and the FAs. Also, this poll is defenately made by the right department, Trade. Apperently you dont understand that this is only a basic poll if we are dealing if the demand just suddenly pops up. I will however still post the "Dealing with Demands" poll for each nation along with the corrisponding nation assesment poll (When we do bump into another civ).

2. ravensfire

ravensfire Member of the Opposition

Ahh, I was under the impression that demands were under the FA minister, not Trade.

However, informational or not (and should be labeled as informational if it is such), this poll does not provide adequate or useful information as it attempts to create a blanket statement over issues that must be more detailed. This is not in the best interests of Japanatica.

This does raise the question though - demands for tribute have historically been under the area of Foreign Affairs. Has this been changed, to where Trade controls them, or are they still in FA?

EDIT: Ah, poll is labeled as informal. My bad - missed that, CG.

-- Ravensfire

3. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Ghost Agent

Versailles City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    Ravensfire - Ugh, youre just ticking me off ATM. Apperently you dont understand that I am trying to be a good deputy and hopefully get back into the ministry department

4. ravensfire

ravensfire Member of the Opposition

CG - quite honestly, I don't care.

I'm raising concerns that I have about the usefulness of the poll, and which department should be issuing instructions. I have no qualms about the discussion thread that you've started, and think it was, and is, a great idea. I feel this poll, however, is premature and will not adequately determine the inclination of the people.

-- Ravensfire

5. Epimethius

Epimethius Wish I Hadn't Been Here

I think it depends. Obviously we shouldn't give in to someone week and peaceful, but should to someone huge and agressive.

6. Rik Meleet

Rik Meleet Top predator Retired Moderator

The Minister of Science has only 1 concern; science. Money is for the weaklings and the greedy ones. Enlightened and well-educated people do not believe in money. The science department has no problem with giving away money if that leaves us free from science-disturbing wars. But only as long as the financial situation allows research to continue. If not; save our money for the libraries, universities and research-labs.

Maps are for wall-decoration and for hawks who only see another nation's lands as potentially theirs, instead of joining scientific forces in the ultimate quest for knowledge. Share the maps, they have no scientific value.

Resources: now that is something different. Through the blood, sweat and tears of our scientists they have ben discovered and are being used for the wellbeing of the nation; a secondary goal of scientific research. Other nations should not benefit from our hard work. If they want the fruits of our research, they should pay us (preferably in techs).

Communication-sharing: The science department likes this a lot. The more people we know and the people we know also know eachother, the cheaper well-known techs become and the more valuable researching a monopoly techs becomes. This is the main boost to science; let the world know eachother; Let the scientists of the world cooperate to lift this planet into scientific heaven. Let's talk to all and have all talk to eachother.

7. Chieftess

Chieftess Moderator Retired Moderator

I haven't seen anything about tech demands in the above poll...

8. Isabelle

Isabelle Ist Rad!

Same. Yup.

9. KCCrusader

KCCrusader Defending the Holy Land

thirded. each time will require a different action.

10. Real Pave

Real Pave Chieftain

Territory maps and communications. Also we could give gold, when they don't demand our treasury empty, like in my games.

11. invy

invy Prince

Since we are researching BW one way is to build early spearmen and reject every demand and we're going for IW so we will probably win wars and expand territory with enemy cities.
    Japan is wormongering civ anyway, I bet military advisor would like this :cool: