Deity Doctorate: Victoria

@The Rook

You're quite right, and I hope noone minds too much. I think I'm "reporting" after voting is "closed" anyways, right?

Since my save looked more like Dirk's than Duckweed's (only a lot better than mine), I figured I'd learn something from continuing on with it.

I'm also playing Duckweeds to compare how I'd do in that scenario (if I can find the time), but I won't spam questions on that subject :)

@The Rook

You're quite right, and I hope noone minds too much. I think I'm "reporting" after voting is "closed" anyways, right?

I'm not really sure whether voting is closed, but I think someone will need to enter something pretty sensational to beat Dirk in votes for this round. ;)

Thought I'd give this thread a BUMP...

To T200:

Spoiler :

880AD: Trade with Zara for Astronomy. The last critical tech needed before I start the war.

1000AD : Finally meet Asoka (I knew about him for a while due to resolutions screen showing him as AP resident). Trade for RP, if only I knew he had that earlier...

War 1020AD:

Declare on Frederick, bribe Zara and Roosevelt to join me. I have war immunity from the remaining AIs (not met Russians yet), so Frederick bribes Asoka into war with Zara. Then to my amazement I encountered a rare moment of AI intelligence! Fred's spy destroyed Nottingham's granary, and poisoned the water supply. With Nottingham being my GT drafting city, this really messed up my production line for several turns. Intelligence or fluke? I lean toward the latter personally, especially when Freddy followed with an Elmer Thud moment, placing a stack of catapults weakly defended by Medieval units right on my border. Goodbye potential cannons...

Though outnumbered, the elite English navy put up a fine show, winning 10 battles and losing 2.

On land, the war went like clockwork. By the time Frederick got cannons and rifles it really didn't matter. Fred's only moral victory was taking back Munich, his lone rifle beating my redcoat garrison with 12% odds. It was a silly mistake on my part, I forgot that his rifle could utilise the road movement bonus, after being used to the 1 move restriction for so long. Thanks to the cavalry, no time was wasted reclaiming what's rightfully mine.

Highlights:

1030 Frankfurt
1060 Cologne
1090 Berlin
1130 Hamburg
1170 Munich
1190 lose Munich
1200 Dortmund
1210 Munich
1270 Stuttgart
1310 Harappan
1340 Dusseldorf
1340 Hanover (capitulation deal)

Capitulation:

I was tempted to pick off Frederick's remaining cities on the continent, but I noticed that he had Electricity, and this was a tech that I really needed for the watermills/windmills commerce bonus. I feared that if I waited longer there would be a risk he would obtain my trade bait elsewhere. Also, if I capitulated Fred now, The English/German empire would clearly be too strong to be a war target for Stalin. Right now Stalin is busy fighting Asoka, but I want them to make peace as Asoka is way to powerful for Stalin. There is a risk of him taking more cities, and jeopardising my prospects of being the future UN rightful challenger, so war must stop.

1400AD:

It so happened that after Frederick capitulated, my Communism/Steam deal wasn't enough for Electricity anyway :rolleyes:, so I had to put some research into the bargain. At least Frederick can potentially broker deals with AIs who have passed the WFYABTA threshold with me. The switch to FR/SP was made in 1130AD so relations with Asoka are improving, he should be friendly with the team soon. Now that happiness is under control, the FS switch needs to be made, there are enough towns to make the benefit substantial, though most of the land has been workshopped/watermilled to take advantage of SP/Caste. Next stop The Internet...

Attachments

• obsolete Rook AD-1400.CivBeyondSwordSave
    360.9 KB · Views: 59
Set 1
Set 2
Set 3
Set 4

For completeness, the final set:

Spoiler :

I thought the two easiest victory conditions to meet would be Space or UN considering the size of the English empire and the diplo climate. My plan was to pursue the Internet and grow the freshly conquered cities so that if an AI builds the UN I would be their guaranteed opponent, keeping my options open. Unfortunately I didn't have copper to build The Internet, and Roosevelt founded Mining Corp so wasn't willing to trade. WK was the only alternative copper prospect, but he had already traded his resource away. So with the aid of some spies and EP I forced Wang to renegotiate:

Finished The Internet in 1605, and obtained Rocketry, Artillery, Military Science and Mass Media. I felt sure the Net race would be close around the end of the last turn set, and couldn't have been more wrong, no AI even had Plastics at the time of completion. After all the effort of obtaining copper, it turned out it wasn't needed anyway, though it could still be marginally useful for building the SS. Space victory was almost assured, but Asoka seemed to be pursuing a culture win, and after declaring on the hopelessly outmatched Stalin there was a chance he could threaten my UN aspirations too. So in 1610 I negotiate peace and dubious civics switches to prevent Asoka expanding and stall his culture effort (hoping he would build some workshops on his cottages ;)).

In 1625 Zara built me the UN.

With such an easy victory in sight, I couldn't resist concluding the game here...

Roosevelt and Zara were involved in a pointless war against Stalin. WK appeared to be planning a war against Stalin also. With Stalin bearing the burden of the world's hate it made diplomacy easier.

Space would have been a formality. WK was the only AI in sight, he had Ecology and Satellites on me (I don't count Divine Right :p), but I had Computers, Fiber Optics, Super Conductors and The Internet on him. Fusion was due in 4, with a GS to accompany the GE a couple of turns later for a final Golden Age. Asoka's culture push was too slow to have posed a realistic threat.

1665:

Attachments

• obsolete Rook AD-1665.CivBeyondSwordSave
    407.5 KB · Views: 59
I tried to continue the next turnset a few days ago but found I juts couldn't get into it. I think it's due to a bunch of reasons. Perhaps because Dirk's save looks like things are pretty much wrapped up, and I believe there is already an early AP religious win (that wonder really is broken!), etc.

I think this map always looked like being very winnable, with several promising saves from the outset, Dirk just effectively proved the win quickest. Why not continue from your own save? It could make interesting reading to see how strategies vary. :)

I was thinking on doing that, but the motivation just doesn't seem to be there right now. I think I may also work on cutting down on some of the games I play in 2010. Of course, those are famouse last claims.

Top Bottom