Design: Spells

It might be interesting to let Creation 3 + Sorcery create any mundane resource, but only so long as the caster stands on the plot.

Say, cast once to create Wheat, again to convert it to Corn, all the way through all plants and animals. When the caster finally moves, whatever resource was on the tile is removed again. This shouldn't be much more powerful than Unyielding Order for the Law-casters.

Maybe the caster could duplicate any resource he stepped on during the game by casting his level 3 creation spell. Though by itself this could get very powerful anyways when you think a caster could duplicate cows indefinitely. It would need to be limited in some way. Once per resource or 1/5 of the cities you own.

I like these both a TON up until the part about 'duping' resources already in the game (and on the map). The reason I suggest creating a new terrain aspect not already in the current mod is because it allows the modteam to maintain the resource balance already present, and because even though you have mithril or a bunch of iron inside your territory, it wouldn't do to carbon copy as much of such a thing inside the radius of you capital city. You'd have players able to build every type of wonder or national unit in just one turn, while still producing enough commerce and food to sustain a leading empire with just one heavily 'bonused' city. I don't think it should be limited to grains and livestock either.. how many times have you looked at a fully revealed map and thought "i wish I had my starting location there instead." because of gold, silk, gems, dye, et cetera?

Also, such a spell should produce the same benefit whether it's placed under a farm, mine, a mill of some sort, or a town, just like how vitalize works now. It helps to streamline these things as much as possible, especially to code for use by the AI. Which is why I suggested it come in the form of terrain feature/elevation/resource/flatlands not already in the game. The "Features" terrain layer (forests, floodplains, oases) especially, since you could enhance almost any tile you wanted to that way without being hindered by the improvements, flatlands, or hills already there.(it should work on water tiles too, yar matey?). Still mucks with other terrain features, including oases and floodplains, and would unbalance elven improvements, since they're supposed to benefit from forests.

Like the part about it working like unyielding order (or inspiration/hope/WoS), but then shouldn't it be a divine spell, not a sorceror's spell. Tier3 Sorcery is capable of so much more not to be somewhere besides a few select tiles.

Most fellowship divine units can do their job most of the time and not have to be 7 different places at once.

:food: :food: :food:

i believe it would be hard to program and kind of buggy.

actually, I'm no python guru, but I believe it would be almost as easy to program as transmute or vitalize, whether you are referring to Bcalchet's, Alex's, or my ideas.

The rest of what you said makes no damn sense whatsoever, though... :splat:

I agree that it should effect more than just melee, but I don't think it should work against archers or those that use non-metal weapons. Also, shouldn't mithril be resistant to rust?

have you guys considered this:

Code:
def spellBanish(caster,target):
	doCast(caster)
	pPlayer = gc.getPlayer(caster.getOwner())
	if pPlayer.isHuman():
		target = target[0]
	else:
		target = findTargetBanish(caster)
	if target.isResisted(caster,20) == False:
		CyInterface().addMessage(target.getOwner(),True,25,'Unit Banished.','AS2D_LOSS_LATE',1,'Art/Interface/Buttons/Spells/Banish.dds',ColorTypes(8),target.getX(),target.getY(),True,True)
		CyInterface().addMessage(caster.getOwner(),True,25,'Enemy Unit Banished.','AS2D_LOSS_LATE',1,'Art/Interface/Buttons/Spells/Banish.dds',ColorTypes(7),target.getX(),target.getY(),True,True)
		target.kill(True,0)

[B]if(target.isHasPromotion(gc.getInfoTypeForString('PROMOTION_THE_ASHEN_VEIL')):
	cf.FFHGiftUnit(gc.getInfoTypeForString('UNIT_MANES'),gc.getInfoTypeForString('CIVILIZATION_INFERNAL'), 0, target.plot, target.getOwner)[/B]

i think that banish should give out a mane no matter what the units religion is since it tecnically is sending the unit to hell so the infernals should get control of it. but it shouldnt work on non living units

i think that banish should give out a mane no matter what the units religion is since it tecnically is sending the unit to hell so the infernals should get control of it. but it shouldnt work on non living units

I don't think the spell works on demons/undead in the first place.

Just came up with an idea for Dimension Magic:

Transport City: Castable only within your own borders, will move the nearest City to the square of the caster, all improvements in the city will be maintained, but of course tile improvements will stay on the tiles, and units stationed at the city remain at the old location.
Spoiler :
- This would be a nice ability because then you can place your cities close initially to capiltalize on resources, but later when your culture is more developed, you can spread out your complete world coverage without having to develop more and more cities. Should work well with the Civ IV Mechanic where you are penalized for a large number of cities. Also will work VERY well with Kuriotiates, where thye have a limit on how many cities they are allowed to have.

Chicken House: This referes to the old Nursery Rhyme/Children's Tale. Two ways you could work it if either one was actually able to work with game mechanics. Cast in a city to turn one o fthe buildings into a movile unit (0 Strength, low Movement) which can "settle (by spell?) in any other city and become the same building, just in a new city. OR if you can't pull a building out of a city easily, cast it on a tile to make the improvement of that Tile become a mobile unit, able to settle on a similar tile where the same improvement is viable (non-road improvements only).
Spoiler :
- This one I think would be Priceless because you can have a city with strong development create the improvements you desperately need in other cities, or prepare a bevy of improvements for a city yet to be built/captured. Even with just the Tile improvements, it makes it so that your workers can develop improvements in the safety of your deep cultural borders, then have the improvements walk out to the war zone/border and settle in to re-develop a city under Seige. Or again, prepare improvements for future cities so that your workers are not sitting idle.

Summon: Dimensional Rift Movement 3, Flying, Strength: 0, Cargo Space 4. - This is a mechanic to allow the Dimensional Caster to "teleport" other units a small distance. Strength of 0 so that even if you have the Summoning Ability you are not likely to leave your units loaded more than 1 turn, but it grants the ability to move a group of units farther than they could normally on their own.

Can't think of many more right now sadly to flesh out the full Sorcery/Summon/Divine Levels 2 & 3 :( Well, that would be easily balanced that is. It would be nice to be able to teleport ENEMY units back to their own capital (1 at a time maybe, or strong resist chance, not a full stack).

Transport city looks nice, although probably over powered. Maybe it could work as a sorcery dimensional III spell. (dimensional will probably never get any divine spells)

will the first post be updated anytime soon?

also would be interesting to see the teams newest ideas for Sun, Shadow, and Metamagic

theres one that exists already for all phases i believe.. might be wrong though...

will the first post be updated anytime soon?

also would be interesting to see the teams newest ideas for Sun, Shadow, and Metamagic

The first post probably wont be updated. Instead of updating these posts we are using the wiki.

The details of the new spheres will be released as we get closer. ;)

I'd give my left testi for an updated version of the first post.

I've seen that same info spread out in other places, but that first part is the easiest to read and makes the most sense. I find it difficult as a FFH newb to figure out which nodes to build and which upgrades to take on my adepts/mages. That diagram in the first post really lays it all out there perfect!

If the answers in sorens interview is any guide, stuff like this should start to be updated now that the game is more static...

But I still think spells should be reworked. It's all about summoning for the arch mages, and for some spheres the 3rd level spell can be case like... once and are then useless. Not that fun if you have several archmages with that kind of spells...

The problem is that removing one of the elementals from the game removes some of the elegant symmetry of it, and with at least a couple other lvl3 summons on other spheres it crowds out the potential lvl3 sorcery spells.
The way I see it, all spheres should simply have two lvl3 spells. It makes sense that archmages should have more versatility, and this thread shows that there is no problem to find ideas to fill the slots.
They could be different promotions, too, so archmages have to specialize further to get those spells (Lichdom comes to mind...)

Top Bottom