Design Thread - For Discussion and Review

One thing, not on design, but while I knew Bionicle had heavy Polynesian influence, I didn't know Toa was a Samoan word.

On design: I like the idea, but that could be seriously overpowered. It's not hard to get levels on your units. Or is it just faith per kill? The word 'generate' confuses me.

Yeah I changed it to make things a bit less overpowered but obviously it has to be a bit overpowered to compensate for the huge debuff of not being able to generate any faith from buildings or wonders, which is a big issue. Its not faith per kill, its like, if your unit is victorious in battle and kills another unit, the capital starts generating 1 faith. If you can kill 100 units with that one guy, the capital will be generating 100 faith, simples.

For one I think it's the most creative take on the "Generate Faith from kills" idea.

I always take this as a compliment! Creative design is like, my thing now :lol:

Am I the only person that noticed that Karl XII of Sweden is the leader of Samoa in that and thought that was weird as hell?
No, I thought that was weird as well.
Same, at first I wondered if it was a different Karl...
Eh, I've gotten used to Urdnot_Scott's forgetting to correct details like those.

Okay, I fixed it. That was dumb, I have to stahp doing that, any comments on the design itself rather than my stupidity? ;)

One thing I noticed is that you'd still be able to generate faith conventionally since the UB isn't automatically built in settled cities excluding the capital. If you weren't trying to completely eliminate conventional faith than nevermind.

Since the UB is a shrine, you cant generate any faith from shrines or temples (Since you can't build a temple without shrines). The only way to conventionally generate faith would be to build wonders in cities other than the capital, which is super difficult. More importantly, you'd be better off building the Tatau hut in those cities than totally ignoring it, since it means more faith and culture in the long run and those awesome promotions.

Hmmm.... Decided to design a Byzantium:

Komnenian Byzantium(Alexios I)
Spoiler :
UA: Roman Resurrection
Cities conquered from your :c5war: enemies by your allies\ trade partners* will be handed over to you and you gain :c5goldenage: golden age points whenever they conquer enemy cities or kill enemy units. Each city you conquer reduces unit :c5production: production costs and :c5gold: maintenance costs during :c5goldenage: golden ages.

UU: Peltastēs
Replaces pikeman. Slightly weaker(15 :c5strength:) but may perform a :c5rangedstrength: ranged attack before engaging in melee combat. Additionally, they are faster(3 :c5moves:) and receive a bonus if attacking near cavalry (33%).

UU: Latin Knight
Replaces Knight. Though it costs 1 extra maintenance, the Latin knight gains +1 :c5strength: strength per each civilization you share an enemy with, and generates :c5goldenage: golden age points from kills.

John II
Spoiler :
UA: The Good Emperor
Receive :c5greatperson: great general points upon promoting units and pre- gunpowder units may gain unique attributes* upon promotion. Constructing improvements in conquered territories grants :c5food: food to the nearest city and :c5citizen: population contributes towards military :c5production: production.

UU: Kataphraktoi
Replaces knight. Has a 25% :c5strength: defence boost. +5% defence and +1 :c5strength: strength per each promotion it has(stays on upgrade). Gains extra strength(24 :c5strength:) and 50% more XP from combat when stacked with a great general.

UI: Aplekton
Unlocked at engineering, takes 9 turns to build, and may not be build adjacent to other aplekton or city. Units stationed on the aplekton will heal and gain a :c5strength: combat boost equal to the nearest city's population. +1 :c5production: production, and +1 :c5food: food after civil service. Double yields and +3XP if worked during unit production.

*Attributes:
Koursores(mounted units): gain a 33% bonus vs. Cavalry and receive 50% more strength from flanking.
doryphoroi(mounted units): perform a ranged attack before engaging in melee combat.
Vardariotai(mounted units): may fortify and receive defensive terrain bonuses.
Vestiaritai: gains a combat boost(20%) when stacked with civilian units.
oikeioi: when near great general, gains a double boost and generates great generals faster.

This was suppose to be split... Expect more byzantiums coming...

Making sure that this is good enough...

Julius Caesar:

UA: Render Unto Caesar: A Golden Age begins upon capturing a foreign Capital. During Golden Ages, cities suffer no occupied unhappiness, and Great Person generation is increased by 25%.

UU: Ballista: the main game Ballista.

UU: Praetor: Great General replacement. May be used to start a Golden Age.

Augustus Caesar:

UA: The Glory of Rome: +25% Production towards buildings already built in the capital. +2 Production and +1 Gold from Plantations.

UU: Legion: the main game Legion.

UB: Forum: Market replacement. Does not provide +1 Gold - instead, provides +1 Gold for every 2 Citiziens in a city.

I made both threads. I HAVE POWER OVER BOTH OF THEM.

What you mean both?

Was going to reply to your designs today GP and then noticed you'd already released them, so sorry about that, I'm sure I'll be free next time!

Anyway, in advance of getting a few splits out before I go away (turns out I have more time between finishing my exams and going on holiday than I thought) I'd like a bit of feedback on some elements of a Spain split, namely the two less expected civs - Francoist and Republican spain. I was initially only going to do Francoist Spain but it ended up being entirely focused on the civil war so I decided, nuts to it, I'll do both.

Spain Split

Fascist Spain
Leader: Francisco Franco
UA: Flight of the Condors
Enemy units in your territory receive -1% :c5strength: combat strength for every for every air unit within range of them, and may not receive defensive bonuses for that turn if attacked by an air unit. Newly trained units in the :c5capital: Capital receive 1 :c5war: experience for every foreign friendly unit in your borders, doubled for air units.

UU: Condor(Replaces Great War Bomber)
The Condor has slightly further :c5moves: range than the Great War bomber it replaces yet is slightly more expensive, though upon signing a defensive pact you may receive a free Condor. Furthermore, upon attacking an enemy city, the Condor may cause the city to enter a state of :c5razing: anarchy for that turn and deals a significant amount of damage to any adjacent units.

UU: Regulares (Replaces Great War infantry)
The Regulares, unlike the Great War infantry they replace, are trained 5% faster for every declaration of friendship you have, or 10% faster while at war. Furthermore, when the Regulares kill a unit or capture a city, all nearby enemy units receive the 'Panic' promotion, which nullifies the effect of an adjacent Great General and reduces their :c5strength: defensive strength by 15%.

Republican Spain
Leader: Manuel Azaña
UA: It Tolls for Thee
:trade: International trade routes yield :tourism: tourism while at war and every enemy unit in your territory and signed declaration of friendship increases the amount of :tourism: tourism received by 1. Upon a unit being killed or a city being lost, receive a :tourism: tourism boost with all civs with which you share an ideology or have signed a declaration of friendship.

UU: International Brigade (Replaces Great War Infantry)
The international brigade is significantly cheaper than the Great War Infantry it replaces, but is also considerably weaker. Upon being trained however, the international brigade begins with :c5war: experience equal to the amount of tourism being sent out from that city via :trade: trade routes. Upon being killed, there is a small chance a new international brigade will be spawned in the :c5capital: Capital.

UB: Comuna Anarquista (Replaces Factory)
Cities with a Comuna Anarquista have a small chance to enter resistance every turn, which lasts for 3 turns afterwards. During this period, as with regular resistance, you may not construct buildings or units and the city doesn't yield anything. However, during this period, :tourism: tourism from :trade: international trade routes is doubled and when the anarchy is finished, a random building or unit will have been constructed in this city and, if the relevant techs have been researched, receive a maintenance free International Brigade.

Not sure about the republican UB, seems way too complicated and will probably be changed, especially since it doesn't fit into the UA very well - just wanted to try something weird.

Me thinks Anarchy is global, not only at city level.

Personally I'd swap the effects like this:

Republican Spain

Have a small chance to enter anarchy every turn, which lasts for 3 turns. During this period, tourism from international trade routes is doubled and when the anarchy is finished, a random building or unit will have been constructed in every city.

The international brigade is significantly cheaper than the Great War Infantry it replaces, but is also considerably weaker. Upon being trained however, the international brigade begins with experience equal to the amount of tourism generated in city. Maintenance Free during Anarchy.

UB: Comuna Anarquista (Replaces Factory)
International trade routes yield tourism while at war and every enemy unit in city territory increases the amount of tourism received by 1. At the end of an Anarchy Period, cities with Comunas Anarquistas produce a Maintenance Free International Brigade starting in modern era.

As for Fascist Spain, the main problem I see (with the design :crazyeye:) is that the UA is fairly irrelevant until the modern era, which is a feature practically no civ has.

Anarchy aint global, its the effect which follows the conquest of a city in the vanilla game - as far as I know its never actually applied globally.

Wait they're different things? What triggers anarchy?

Anarchy is triggered when you switch Ideologies.

Well I feel dumb. Either way I never wanted anarchy to be the main part of the civ since anarchists made up only a little bit of the general republican movement and it would ruin the cool UA name which was my favourite bit so far.

Well I feel dumb. Either way I never wanted anarchy to be the main part of the civ since anarchists made up only a little bit of the general republican movement and it would ruin the cool UA name which was my favourite bit so far.

You feel dumb? And how am I suppose to feel, if you feel dumb?
Anyway, I like republican spain. Wonder how a civ like that could even be defeated....

Persia split!

Achaemenid Empire(Cyrus The Great)
Spoiler :
UA: Cyrus Cylinder
Receive :c5goldenage: golden age points from killing units and conquering cities of :c5occupied: occupying civilizations*, and cities conquered from those civilizations are automatically assimilated to your empire. +2% :c5production: production and :c5culture: culture during :c5goldenage: golden ages per each city you conquered.

UU: Immortal
Replaces spearman. more expensive. Upon killing a unit or gaining a promotion, heals 15 HP and grants :c5goldenage: golden age points. Heals and :c5moves: moves 50% faster during :c5goldenage: golden ages.

UU: Satrap
Replaces great general. Provides higher combat boost in :c5occupied: conquered territory(25%). When stationed in a city, reduces local unhappiness by 50% and increases military unit :c5production: production in the city by 1 per each 2 citizens in the city.

*civilizations that have conquered a city from any civilization.

Parthian Empire(Mithridates I)
Spoiler :
UA: Parthian Shot
Ranged units recieve +5% :c5rangedstrength: strength per each adjacent mounted unit and may retreat when attacked by a stronger unit, dealing damage to enemies within their range. Mounted units ignore ZOC and enemies adjacent to them receive -5% penalty on defence.

UU: Mounted bowman
Replaces Chariot Archer. Comes later, at horseback riding, and does not consume all of its movement points upon entering rough terrain. Stronger(7 :c5strength:, 11 :c5rangedstrength:), and gains +1 :c5rangedstrength: ranged strength per each level it has.

UU: Grivpanvar
Replaces horseman. Signifiacntly Stronger(16 :c5strength:), but also more expensive. Has the "kontos" promotion, granting it a 25% bonus while attacking in open terrain, and the "Parthian knight" promotion, granting the unit double XP when it makes a kill.

More to come!

Natan that Achaemind UA is either totally useless or really OP - I'm not sure what an occupying civ is, I assume you mean a civ which owns one of your cities? Thats almost never gonna happen in a regular game, though if it was me playing I'd just sell a 1 pop city to every civ on the board and then insta steam roll everyone, which I assume isn't how its meant to be? Also cities don't change hands thaat often, so I'd say that UA is very weak. Immortal is good, but you keep saying expansive, which means 'occupies a large space' when you mean to say expensive. I don't think the immortal needs to be stronger though, its got enough bonuses. This

increases military unit production in all cities by 1 per each 2 citizens in the city.

Is crazy OP, especially if it stacks.

I like the parthian UA, but the last bit feels unnecessairily complicated - I tend not to like little percentages in UAs because it can be a pain for the player to understand. I don't get how the Mounted Bowman can stay mounted upon upgrade, if it does you've just given the parthians an extra 5 or so UUs... Grivpanvar is really nice.

Also thanks for the feedback on Spain guys, all good points, so improved:

Spain Split

Fascist Spain
Leader: Francisco Franco

UA: For Whom The Bell Tolls
Upon signing a declaration of friendship with another civilisation, may produce units which they have researched, even if you have not, and you and your friend both gain +15% military :c5production: production if fighting alongside one another in a war. Newly trained units start with 1 :c5war: experience for every allied unit in your territory.

UU: Condor(Replaces Great War Bomber)
The Condor has slightly further :c5moves: range than the Great War bomber it replaces yet is slightly more :c5production: expensive. Furthermore, upon attacking an enemy unit, that unit and any adjacent are prevented from receiving terrain :c5strength: defence bonuses that turn. Receive a free Condor whenever you sign a declaration of friendship, military pact or research agreement - two if you share an ideology.

UU: Regulares (Replaces Great War infantry)
The Regulares, unlike the Great War infantry they replace, are trained 5% :c5production: faster for every declaration of friendship you have, and 10% :c5production: faster still while at war. Furthermore, the Regulares do 20% more damage against unfortified units, or 33% if adjacent to an allied unit.

Republican Spain

Units generate :c5greatperson: Great Writer points whenever they finish their turn adjacent to an enemy unit, an adjacent friendly unit is killed, or a friendly city within two tiles is :c5occupied: captured. Whenever a unit is killed, receive :tourism: tourism with all civilisations with which you share an ideology or a declaration of friendship.

The international brigade is signficantly cheaper and weaker than the Great War Infantry it replaces but starts with an 1 :c5war: experience for every point of :tourism: tourism sent out via :trade: trade routes in the city in which it was trained. If killed, there is a chance a new International Brigade will spawn in the :c5capital: Capital.

UB: Ayuntamiento (Replaces Constabulary)
Upon the outbreak of war, all trade routes to cities with an Ayuntamiento yield 3 :tourism: tourism - whenever a unit is killed near this city, a city is lost in the empire or a :c5greatperson: Great Writer is born, this :tourism: tourism yield is increased by 2. Contains a slot for a :greatwork: Great Work of writing which yields +10 :c5war: experience when filled.

Not sure about the republican UB, seems way too complicate

Top Bottom