Design: World Spells

Sweet! Can't help but add my own comments:
Spoiler :

Calabim- River of Blood: Wow, this sounds very powerful. I'm interested in learning the in-game explanation of how it works.
Clan of Embers- For the Horde: Very cool. If it includes Orthus, triple cool.
Khazad- Motherlode: Seems like a low amount of money for a one-time shot. If it includes all mines within cultural borders, then this gives the player incentive to mine everywhere => very cool.
Lanun- Raging Seas: No comment on the spell. Just want to say, please don't listen to the requests to make this destroy land. It took far too long to get that effect out of the Tsunami spell in the first place.​

World spells look a good idea too.. I know Ill end up using them far too early... like child at xmas who cant wait to open his presents :lol:

just out of interest..."Calabim- River of Blood: All Calabim cites get +2 population, all non-Calabim cities get -2 population (to a minimum of 1 population)"

anything to do with my failed entry in to the Wonder contest???

Clan of Embers- For the Horde - Orthus? Nah, I will wait till AC goes near 90, then a turn before the spell is build I will raise AC and will claim back[half of it] the Avatars army ]:->

The ideas are very cool, but in general they are too powerful. As a whole, they need to be toned down. If this makes them feel too weak them give some spells the ability to be cast twice or three times, giving a little variety and flexibility between the civs.

Hippus - Warcry is the sort of thing I see as being good for casting once while Elohim - Sanctuary might work better as three spells that last 10 turns each, with ten turns wait between repeat castings.

I think it would be interesting to have a series of apocalyptic world spells available to everyone...

Examples:
A spell that spreads a chasm of hell terrain down the center of the map and releases a horde of demons..

Or maybe a spell that induces/reverses the end of winter (on the ends of opposite sides of the tech tree). Maybe players could use/build a 'spell' that was an acrology equivalent to keep their terrain intact within a certain radius of the city, inducing the feeling of a haven of civilization among the ruins of a world...Building this protection could be tied to limited and specific resources that are sacrificed upon building but make a transition into equipment once a city is razed. in a way this could be implemented into the hell mechanic but I like the RP aspect of the 'return of winter'...

Players could either seek out protection, steal it from others or research a way to end winter once again before the world falls into a second night.

Without the tech requirements, it's difficult to gauge how powerful these actually are.

For example, the Calabim spell is insane if you can cast it from the start of the game - it can cripple all your enemies when they're trying to build that first settler and make it much easier for you to do so, giving you at least a 20 turn advantage. IMO, this strengthens the Calabim hugely in the early game, which was previously their biggest weak point.

Likewise, 'For the Horde' at game start may give the Clan a stupid edge over everyone else, depending on the barb settings.

Also, some effects don't appear to scale well to map size compared to others. This might be something to be wary of.

I hope there is some restriction on Hyborems Whisper,ie only not capital cities, or this is gonna stop my OCC games...

I tend to like a Ljos/FoL game and if I were to cast this spell mid game the game would become totally unplayable. Every square I own is wooded... The upkeep would kill me and the CPU time would kill the game.

Nah I suggest a magic forest spell instead...
When the spell is cast the square where its cast (Capitol or FoL grounding city) The woods there turn to Mallorn (as Lothlorien) which has a 5% to 10% chance to spread to adjacent forest squares (and turn them into Mallorn)

Mallorn:
+5% Attack/defence of elven troops
+5% Attack/defence of all FoL followers

or something like that (could also be that U give all FoL or Elven that do not move from mallorn Arcane XP - ticks).

Amurites- Arcane Lacuna: Sounds interesting, but i seems odd that it effects all civs evenly, unlike most of the spells.
Actually, I think Kael meant
Amurites- Arcane Lacuna: All the player's Arcane units gain 1xp per upgraded mana node in the world, all mana nodes revert to raw mana.

ditto Grigori.

[NWO]_Valis;6244375 said:
Clan of Embers- For the Horde - Orthus? Nah, I will wait till AC goes near 90, then a turn before the spell is build I will raise AC and will claim back[half of it] the Avatars army ]:->

it only converts orcs, not all barbs (haven't seen an avatar in a while, so dunno if his army is orc or not)

I like the feel of them and they all seem appropriate.

Simple question that I can already guess the answer to, but will any of these spells cause you to declare war on everyone? Ie. The current game mechanics would cause major repurcussions for the Lanun or the Sheiam.

I have to agree that the Khazad spell sounds pretty weak when compared with some of the others. Gold never really seems like a problem when I play them, but expansion always is. Maybe they could cast a spell to raise new land within any water that is withing their land...giving them room to expand no matter the stage of the game.

Or, you could do some sort of "underground" thing and maybe grant every city additional tiles to work.

Yeah, once per game only, definitely. Anything more and it'll be rather ugly.

I have an issue with 3 of them though; the Ljosalfar, Mercurian and Sheaim ones.

- The Lojsalfer only creates treants for 3 turns, that's not nearly enough time for you to move those treants to bash cities. You really need to extend it to like 15 turns or so to ranpage and charge the enemy. Plus, I see scripting errors with treants returning to elven cottages, normal cottages or not returning at all.
- The Mercurians: damages demon units? They'll just be damaged, and then they'll heal in two turns because they're in cities, right? You won't have units next to every demon in the world to cleanse them. Sounds very useless.
- Sheaim: less useless, because it does have a second effect. Still, "damages" is pretty useless. "convert" is another matter together. Even glory everlasting is not such a great world project anyway.

I tend to like a Ljos/FoL game and if I were to cast this spell mid game the game would become totally unplayable. Every square I own is wooded... The upkeep would kill me and the CPU time would kill the game.
Note that at least in Fire, Treants don't cost military support.

I like the feel of them and they all seem appropriate.

Simple question that I can already guess the answer to, but will any of these spells cause you to declare war on everyone? Ie. The current game mechanics would cause major repurcussions for the Lanun or the Sheiam.

No, none of the world spells cause war. They are free perks and we don't want to tie disadvantages to them (besides the single use).

Will the Elohim force the player into Peace, or can you do this while still at war with your opponents?

Will there be an option to turn off World Spells? I can already see people whining about how some of them just don't balance right in MP (like "For the Horde" since so few people leave the Barbarian's in the game I guess).

Then again, if World Spells are announced, then they can all just agree not to cast them.

- The Lojsalfer only creates treants for 3 turns, that's not nearly enough time for you to move those treants to bash cities. You really need to extend it to like 15 turns or so to ranpage and charge the enemy. Plus, I see scripting errors with treants returning to elven cottages, normal cottages or not returning at all.

I think the spell is meant to allow them to move their forests around, not to mobilize for war. Of course, for the 3 turns after casting the spell, would they not have a huge penalty? What'd happen if they moved a treant into a city?

Imagine playing Clan of Embers in a raging barb game. Cast for the Horde, just at that time that all players are struggling to hold onto that one or two cities against the horders of barbarians. You'd instantly have the map explored, you'd probably get all the remaining goody huts. You'd have so many units that in a turn or two they'd all disband because your economy would crash down around you. But if you could hold it together for a few turns, you could eliminate most of your rivals from the game.

Top Bottom