1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Destroying one's own city

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by TraHari, Jan 29, 2006.

1. TraHari

TraHari Chieftain

I looked in the archives for help about this, but I only found threads related to Civ II and III.

Is there a way to destroy one of your own city? I conquered a city and clicked the capture option rather than the raze option.

Thanks in advance!

- Tra'Hari

2. AtriumComplex

AtriumComplex Chieftain

You can't. You can try to gift it to someone though.

3. LordTerror

LordTerror Chieftain

Well, there are two ways to destroy a city:
    1) Raze the city after a military conquest.
    2) Disband the city after a cultural flip. (v1.52+ only)

The problem is the city is now yours, so you need to give it to someone else. Here are some ways:
    1) Gift the city to an AI.
    2) Let the AI take the city by conquest.
    3) Let the AI flip your city. (This is not possible unless you have a special option on).

Letting someone else have the city then taking it back is the only way to destory the city.

4. StevenJoyce

StevenJoyce Chieftain

This doesn't actually work. In my last game (version 1.52), I gifted the Aztecs a city in order to avoid going over the domination limit. A dozen or so turns later, I declared war on the Aztecs and retook the city. To my surprise, I wasn't given the option to raze, and I got the city with all the culture it had when I gave it away. This put me over the domination limit. I suspect that if your culture is dominant in a city, you don't get the option to raze. There may be other factors involved, however.

5. FratBoy

FratBoy Chieftain

The only real way to destroy a city is to use the World Builder and simply erase the city. I don't consider this cheating since they failed to incorporate this important function in the game.