Desync problem in multiplayer since the March update

Kurnn

Warlord
Hi

This is adressed to any devs, if I am lucky to catch anyone reading this post! =)
Civ 6 is awesome for me and my friends. Multiplayer have always worked just fine for us.
Until the expansion and the March update.

The problem we are getting are constant desyncs, which makes you reload before starting the next turn. We switch hosts and still get the same problem with desyncs.

The reloads happens sometimes 20-50 turns in a row, with maybe a few turns without any desyncs. We have tried with no mods and even with no DLC. Same problem.
We have deleted the Mods folder and redownloaded new mods. We have reinstalled dx12. We have verified the game, updated GPU drivers, updated windows, etc.

What is strange to us, is that we had no problem with multiplayer at all for well over a year.
The civ community seams to have players right now with no problems, as well as players with constant desyncs. The players who report the desync issues, have all kinds of setups, OS, connection etc, so it isnt only low ram or bad connections.

Is this problem with constant desyncs worked on by the devs?
If so, any link with info?

Civ 6 is great to play in multiplayer, but with these desyncs, 50 turns takes hours! Which makes it pretty much unplayable.

I ask kindly that anyone posting here simply doesnt only complain.
The reason for this post is to find out if they are working on this problem and raise the issue if the devs did not consider it a problem. We WANT to play multiplayer!

Thank you for reading.
--Kurnn

Using the spring patch now, and I still get desync every damn turn in multiplayer with a friend.

Does anyone here know what can cause desyncs and know a fix for it? We want to play MP damnit! =)
I have all DLC, but my friend only have 2. Even if I have the DLC turned off that he doesnt have, they are shown in the setup list when setting up a game. Can that cause resyncing?

I can't say I've seen that as a problem, we play games every day at Civplayers....it that was a pervasive issue I'd have heard it loud and clear. You can try and come play with other players, at least then you will know if it is you or your other friends.

https://discord.gg/ubwTNdd

CS

I switched for a far more powerful and modern computer some weeks ago(i can host now :D) and in all games played so far(20+) i didnt get any desynchs at all(30% not as a host).

I did get desynchs as some occasion with my old computer(2009 first gen i5 quad core Nvidia GTX 750ti vid card). Especially on maps bigger than small and games passed the turn 70-80 online speed.

What i realized through years:

Computer strengh is the no1 factor. Host should be the strongest of the lobby. High speed internet is needed too. Distance can play a role sometimes. I'm from North America and chinese people tend to disconnect more often and russians as well. You can also delete log files before starting a game it helps a bit.

Last edited:
My anecdotical story covers only the last couple or weeks. Before that I had only attempted MP with Civ III to introduce it to a friend, but no Civ VI MP, nada.

Anyway, out of the blue this friend and his brother bought Civ VI and invited me to play. They have PCs (one a year old, the other about 7 years old), I have a Mac. I gave it no thought and restarted into my Bootcamp partition running Win10 because "I had heard" that cross-platform play didn't work. I also hosted the game as my machine has plenty of RAM to handle it's requirements. Did the initial fumbling around to figure out the UI and then the games ran pretty well except for the occasional game de-syncing on the older PC. Overall, the game played as well as I expected and so have nothing really to complain about with that configuration.

OTOH, I visited CivFanatics and found out cross-platform MP was now a thing, so of course I had to give it a try. Next time we played I hosted from Mac OS. Initial game sign-in went fine but then the issues started. Not only was the older PC de-syncing but so was I! Not at first but after several turns the game would de-sync me about every 3-5th turn. Same for the older PC. We tried hosting on the good PC and had the same issues.

Needless to say I went back to the PC version and MP games have run fine ever since.

Am unsure why this should be. The data and networking code has to be almost identical between the platforms except for how it address platform hardware and PCs have a much wider range of networking cards than Macs do. Huge MMO games with hundreds of players are able to do this task so I'm confused why Civ VI is having so much trouble.

It's a PITA to reboot into a different platform just to play with friends and then again to get some work done.

Anyway, just throwing some additional experiences and thoughts into the ether for everyone's consideration.

Top Bottom