1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Diplomacy AI Development

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by Recursive, Feb 14, 2020.

1. General_Drax

General_Drax Warlord

All of these already into 9-18, am i right ?

JamesNinelives likes this.
  2. Recursive

Recursive Emperor

They're one and the same - military strength is counted.

2-18, but yes. :)

vyyt and JamesNinelives like this.
  3. CrazyG

CrazyG Deity

Okay.

I always get that modifier immediately after settling another city. The phrasing really made me think it was about city number. So are you saying that if I build enough military units, it'll go away?

I also notice that territorial relationships tends to swing on and off when I'm adding cities. Is it a similar mechanic that also factors military strength?

Bromar1 and JamesNinelives like this.
  4. Recursive

Recursive Emperor

1) Yes; with the % threshold raised to 80 it should be harder to obtain, so give it a try in this new beta. :)

2) If they think you're a reckless expander, it'll also increase territorial disputes by one level (NONE to WEAK, WEAK to STRONG, STRONG to FIERCE), since you can't get the reckless expander mod unless they're in close proximity anyway.

5. tu_79

tu_79 Deity

A warning.
    A very successful civ will scary to inaction all the other civs if your factoring of military strength is absolute.

Also, it is easier to not lose units when you start with 3x units in the field than your enemies.
    I fear that your current method will make life very easy for runaways.

Military performance, I'd prefer to call it tactical skill, is how good you are with your units, in relation to the army strength that you possess.
    The ratio of the combatants raw strength should be factored in.
    It does not make you a bad tactician when you lose units due to being overwhelmed, nor it makes a good tactician to kill units when you can overwhelm the opponent.

I'd propose this small factoring:
    Player strength is the army raw strength value for us, civ strength is the same for the enemy AI.

When you are killing enemy units
    Tactical gain = unit value * (civ strength / player strength)

When you are losing units
    Tactical lose = unit value * (player strength / civ strength)

This is a first approach. You could weight these values with a fixed value if numbers affect too much or too few.

What this means is that if I start a war with an army that is half the strong than the other civ, each unit that I manage to kill will count double, so you know that I am truly skilled (or I possess a very good defensive position).

6. CrazyG

CrazyG Deity

Do other things, such as building a wonder they wanted, do this too?

I notice that territorial disputes tends to switch on when you do something an AI disliked, even if that thing had no connection to whose land is where. You get this odd thing where guys across the ocean have territorial disputes.

I'd consider dropping that aspect, or maybe just dropping the NONE to WEAK jump, because the explanation I see as a player (territorial disputes) tends to make no sense. This might also contribute to the dog piling of last patch, whenever I did one thing they disliked, I'd get more than one diplo penalty as a result, until eventually everyone has territorial disputes.

7. Recursive

Recursive Emperor

Thanks for the suggestion. The change is experimental, I look forward to player feedback. And it's capped at -50% below (with half the effect) and +100% above. :)

It's only reckless expansion, not other modifiers. What you're likely seeing is the AI's visible approach switching from FRIENDLY (which conceals it) to something else (like NEUTRAL).

tu_79, JamesNinelives and CrazyG like this.
  8. CrazyG

CrazyG Deity

Thanks for explaining. You're doing great work.

9. JamesNinelives

JamesNinelives Emperor

Sure. Happy to test the changes! :) Just wanted to point our what it's for.

10. JamesNinelives

JamesNinelives Emperor

Perhaps once the basics are worked out we can add modifiers for things like Defender of Faith, civs specific unique abilities that make them strong in combet, Himeji Castle etc. !

11. Recursive

Recursive Emperor

This beta's changes were quickly done to test if such a system can work and if there are any glaring issues with it (e.g. causing all AIs to switch approaches to AFRAID).

It is not the final version, and adjustments should be expected.

12. Heinz_Guderian

Heinz_Guderian Chieftain

Man you must have a wonderful broad australian accent if you say "combet" :D

OnT: Liking this a lot, but I see Tu's point too. Very exciting changes nonetheless.

13. JamesNinelives

JamesNinelives Emperor

I don't talk like that but I tried it out just now it was hilarious, thanks XD.

Heinz_Guderian likes this.
  14. JamesNinelives

JamesNinelives Emperor

Glad to hear it! :)

15. SolutionIt

SolutionIt Chieftain

Hey man if I can have reasonable unreasonable trades with other civs, and actually find a reason to ask for a declaration of friendship, I'm all in on w/e other ideas get thrown in.

16. Recursive

Recursive Emperor

As of the next version, "they believe we are expanding our empire too aggressively" will no longer have any effect on territorial disputes. I've changed how it's factored into the approach function instead.

I also reduced the base modifier from -35 to -(20 + 5x the number of additional cities you have compared to them). Warmonger civs get an additional -15 reduction.

17. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

Yeah you beat me to the punch. Really TR pillages have nothing to do with how successful you are militarily. You just can't realistically protect your TRs all the time, doesn't mean you will fall over and die when the units come in.

18. Recursive

Recursive Emperor

Think I'm gonna remove that one.

19. SuperNoobCamper

SuperNoobCamper Prince

I'm really glad to see this implemented, Thanks for your hard work!

20. Gazebo

Gazebo Lord of the Community Patch Supporter

i don’t think it should be removed.