Diplomacy AI Development

I actually think the DP Cap I mentioned is a "good enough" rule. I'm thinking of implementing some kind of strategic alliance mechanic that might allow for broader coalitions, but I mostly meant improvements to decision making logic.

Maybe have coalitions linked to ideologies? I miss the old ideology informal alliances we used to get in "the olde days"

So..you catch AI stealing your money, and tell them not to spy on you. Then you get negative diplo for complaining about that. Makes no sense, let's remove it.
Also AI should not be angry when you vote against sanctioning yourself and similar hostile WC resolutions. They need to realize it's a hostile action so it's normal for the target to fight back.
Another thing, you kill their spy. Then this weird dialogue pops up about forgiveness, I never understood what it does. Let's also remove it.

Not implemented yet.
Pity. This was one of the reasons for me to try the latest hotfix.

So..you catch AI stealing your money, and tell them not to spy on you. Then you get negative diplo for complaining about that. Makes no sense, let's remove it.
Also AI should not be angry when you vote against sanctioning yourself and similar hostile WC resolutions. They need to realize it's a hostile action so it's normal for the target to fight back.
Another thing, you kill their spy. Then this weird dialogue pops up about forgiveness, I never understood what it does. Let's also remove it.

Yup, the diplo penalty should apply only against the civ who refused to stop. Doesn't do much for humans when the AI refuses, but makes sense if other way around or when AI demands to another AI.

Honestly everything suggested here are no brainier changes, as in they should be done, it's just if it doable or not.

In the recent games, I noticed its much harder to pass Spheres of Influence. I like it, it's one of the most powerful resolutions, it shouldn't be easy.
There are still too many bribed distant wars. I think being able to pathfind is not enough to make decisions for bribed wars - for example, on continents most civs will able to pathfind - that doesn't mean they will actually send ships across the world.

So the Aztecs declared war on me and took one of my cities in the ancient era. And I get... 3% Anti-warmonger. Seems a bit low.

Spoiler :

upload_2020-9-6_23-4-22.png

EDIT: Ah I was in neutral territory, so the AWM was actually 6%. I mean that's still pretty low for losing a city (I always feel like as soon I take an enemy city I'm already in the 20s or 30s).

Removed the penalty for asking the AI to stop spying on you, it was dumb.

Currently reworking the code for the table of opinion modifiers.

@Recursive I may be wrong, but I seem to remember that the AI can also be asked not to spy on you even when you don't catch its spy ("Stop spying on me" request). Is there a penalty associated with this request, and if so, is it still there?

Totally agree. When I see a notification of someone spying on me I never bother to contact that Civ and tell them because it gives me diplomacy penalty. I just leave it be without clicking on the message because the message contacts them. I mean they have already stolen from me, why make it even worse by taking diplo penalty on top of that. SO I don't even contact them, just build more defenses.

I'm using that request when i need to provoke AI to attack: denouncing, request stop spying, do not settle near me, do not send missionary all at once it's a huge diplo penalty. I could trick the target AI out from their Def Pacts.

@Recursive I may be wrong, but I seem to remember that the AI can also be asked not to spy on you even when you don't catch its spy ("Stop spying on me" request). Is there a penalty associated with this request, and if so, is it still there?

Penalty is the same no matter when you ask. Now it will be zero.

Totally agree. When I see a notification of someone spying on me I never bother to contact that Civ and tell them because it gives me diplomacy penalty. I just leave it be without clicking on the message because the message contacts them. I mean they have already stolen from me, why make it even worse by taking diplo penalty on top of that. SO I don't even contact them, just build more defenses.

It was a small hit, but you'll like the change. :)

I'm using that request when i need to provoke AI to attack: denouncing, request stop spying, do not settle near me, do not send missionary all at once it's a huge diplo penalty. I could trick the target AI out from their Def Pacts.

Missionary request has no penalty. As for DPs, I limited those for next version.

@Recursive

I recently experienced huge AI processing times starting in Industrial onwards. Like can take 5 minutes for my turn to come. Do you know why ? It could be that the AI is doing too much diplomatic evaluations every turn, or that it is struggling with logistics of its troops.

They freeze for several turns then something happens and they play normally again. But then some other Civ starts acting like that, and virtually my turn comes much later 5 minutes waiting time. Never been like that in earlier versions.

I think it was mentioned here before, if you catch someone spying there should be a one time opportunity to declare war without penalties.

I think it was mentioned here before, if you catch someone spying there should be a one time opportunity to declare war without penalties.

Recursive has said the possibility of having a casus belli system added.

Seems like something way beyond the ability that the Civ 5 engine can handle, but hey, if he can do it awesome! (I mean, vassals were added, something I would have assumed impossible, so maybe?)

Edit: also no penalties seems like much, reduced penalties? I agree.

@Recursive

I recently experienced huge AI processing times starting in Industrial onwards. Like can take 5 minutes for my turn to come. Do you know why ? It could be that the AI is doing too much diplomatic evaluations every turn, or that it is struggling with logistics of its troops.

They freeze for several turns then something happens and they play normally again. But then some other Civ starts acting like that, and virtually my turn comes much later 5 minutes waiting time. Never been like that in earlier versions.

There were some issues in the tactical AI, ilteroi has fixed these for the next version.

Recursive has said the possibility of having a casus belli system added.

Seems like something way beyond the ability that the Civ 5 engine can handle, but hey, if he can do it awesome! (I mean, vassals were added, something I would have assumed impossible, so maybe?)

Edit: also no penalties seems like much, reduced penalties? I agree.

It's not beyond the ability of the engine. It would, however, require LUA work that I'm not proficient in. I'll see what I can do. :)

@Recursive FYI very much enjoying the new transparent diplomacy options. the one where you can see the numbers but the AI can still hide modifiers from you is really made game more pleasant for me. I did have a question about the grey modifiers. they tend to be at 0. what exactly is the purpose of them if they are at 0

@Recursive FYI very much enjoying the new transparent diplomacy options. the one where you can see the numbers but the AI can still hide modifiers from you is really made game more pleasant for me. I did have a question about the grey modifiers. they tend to be at 0. what exactly is the purpose of them if they are at 0

Information.

@Recursive

When is the new diplo logic coming ? I read some big changes coming like the ability to cancel DoFs. When ? Can you hurry up pls ?

@Recursive

When is the new diplo logic coming ? I read some big changes coming like the ability to cancel DoFs. When ? Can you hurry up pls ?

You can already cancel DoFs in the Discuss menu. That isn't new.

My latest changes (which are in beta) will be in the next version. I don't know when the next version will be, but Gazebo has noted that it will be "soon".

No, I can't hurry the production. I'm not a Great Engineer. :)

I understand that you're excited for the new changes, but please try not to be demanding about it - no one here gets paid to develop VP. It's a project in our spare time, and the world is chaotic and stressful right now.

Hehe :lol: , sorry not demanding, just wishful thinking and eagerness to try the new logic. God speed and thanks for the ETA

Top Bottom