Diplomacy + and -

todd_unt

Chieftain
Hey friends, long time player, first time post...

So I'm trying to get on the good side w/ some long time leaders who are somewhat cold to me.

I suppose my question would be regarding trade. Folks get mad if I trade w/ their worst enemies, etc. How do I fix all that. I assume I call off the trades that are getting them upset, but how do I find out who pisses them off? And if I do, will the new relations take effect immediately?

Also, if I respond negatively to a threat, I get a minus 1. How long does that last?

Thanks,

Todd_UNT

todd_unt said:
Hey friends, long time player, first time post...

Welcome,[party]

Folks get mad if I trade w/ their worst enemies, etc. How do I fix all that.

Stop trading,but then you'll lose the positive points from trading.

I assume I call off the trades that are getting them upset, but how do I find out who pisses them off?

Look at the diplomacy screen by clicking on the leaderheads and see
the relations between them.

And if I do, will the new relations take effect immediately?

No,it will take a long time.

Also, if I respond negatively to a threat, I get a minus 1. How long does that last?

Probably forever.

According to the notes from the lead designer in the back of the manual, the diplomacy system is designed so that you can't please all of the people all of the time. You sort of need to pick your friends early and stick with them, knowing that your trade with them will piss off your enemies. These dynamics will naturally cause 2 or 3 (or more) factions.

It's really hard to know what factions exist and what factions you want to be part of when you are first meeting people. My general rule is that I want to be closest friends with people who are furthest away from me. That way my friendships don't limit my expansion into my neighbors. :) It's also nice to have friends far away for the improved trade routes. The challenge is that these are the civs that you will encounter last, and it will be more difficult to spread your religion to them than to your neighbors.

Thanks Doctor,

I just wish that if some civ says, 'stop trading' and you do, they should become your buddy to some degree. But yeah, i guess it's part of the challenge.

Thanks,

Todd_UNT

todd_unt said:
I suppose my question would be regarding trade. Folks get mad if I trade w/ their worst enemies, etc. How do I fix all that. I assume I call off the trades that are getting them upset, but how do I find out who pisses them off?

An addition to this question.
It CAN be fixed,but at the moment I don't know what will fix it.
I had an early -4 hit,because of trading, but at the moment the hit is gone.
Maybe those AIs made peace and have the same religion.

Top Bottom