disappearing build-options

Endim_Analys

Chieftain
good day

In a scenario I enjoy and have modified a bit, (AWAW 1.3), the AI sometimes loses the ability to build certain units. For example, when I play the americans the 3rd Reich can not build PzKpfw III even when they have the necessary tech and the unit is not obselete. However, when I set 3rd reich as humanm player, even during a game where I have already witnessed this peculiarity from another civ's perspective, I can build them, so it must be some wickedness of the AI at play. Are any of you familiar with the problem and possible remedies?

Also, when playing the same scenario in hot seat the game crashes right after the AI has taken a city using a paratrooper. At least it seems that way, since showing enemy moves to my knowledge is disabled in hot seat games I cannot know for certain at which moment the game breaks, but it always crashes some second after I have clicked the paradrop conquest message. Any ideas of the reason?

i had that same problem. units that never showed up despite not being obsolete. it always happened with civ-specific units. i just tried changing the obsoleting or prerequisite tech, for instance: 'Iron working' will be changed to 'sword smithing' giving me the swordsman unit obsoleted by 'anti-frankish' which used to be 'user tech 1'. ok at this point you notice that the unit does not appear. change 'sword smithing' position (Ironworking) to 'bronze working's' location. and the same thing for the obsoleting tech.

did that make any sense!?

It soulds like the the knight and musketeer problem.

Any inferior land units to the units in those two slots (if buildable by the AI) will never be built by the Ai regardless of role. I think this was BKA's first scenario so he may not have known about the hardcoded constraint.

did that make any sense!?

Um....no.

i just tried changing the obsoleting or prerequisite tech, for instance: 'Iron working' will be changed to 'sword smithing' giving me the swordsman unit obsoleted by 'anti-frankish' which used to be 'user tech 1'.

You mean that you went in and simply changed the name of the tech? Or that you assigned the unit to a different existing tech? If you are renaming the tech, did you also rename the tech's three letter abreviation?

ok at this point you notice that the unit does not appear. change 'sword smithing' position (Ironworking) to 'bronze working's' location. and the same thing for the obsoleting tech.

So you mean you just changed the order in which the techs are listed in the rules file? Does this not have any other negative side effects?

Look, the guy you're replying to hasn't posted for more than a year, but thanks for bringing this old thread up again.

Anyone has any answers to why enemy paradropping seems to interrupt hot seat gaming?

As far as I can remember, paradropping was a bit of a favourite strategy of the AI in combination with nukes, so I can't imagine paradropping kills hot-seat games. It might be something peculiar about the scenario and its events. Is it with all cities? On any turn? By any civilization?

I can say some more about your first question, though. It's not just a knight/musketeer thing. Unit stats also matter to the AI. Say the AI has 3 units:

Unit A: 6 attack, 3 defense
Unit B: 4 attack, 4 defense
Unit C: 2 attack, 5 defense

The AI will never* build unit B, because it will always prefer unit A for attack and unit C for defense.

* There might be conditions where it still does. If unit B is a lot cheaper than units A or C, for example, or if unit B is lower down on the list in the rules than A and C.

Top Bottom