Discworld

Terkhen

King
Discworld is a MapScript based on the Discworld novels by Terry Pratchett. It will generate a flat world shaped like a disc, with warm regions near the border and cold regions in the center.

The regions of the resulting map are similar to those of the Discworld, but they are so changed that it will not be easy to guess your position in it from the beginning. Their shapes and relative angles and positions to one another are randomized, and the entire disc is rotated with regard to its center in a random angle. Civilizations can only start in the main regions of the Discworld, ensuring that there is plenty of space available to explore and expand.

Discworld is compatible with Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword, and nearly all mods, except Final Frontier and other similar mods.

Small size:

00 - small.png

Huge size:

01 - huge.png

02 - huge.png

03 - huge.png

Downloads: The latest version of Discworld can be found in its resource page: http://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/discworld.25372/

Each version of Discworld can be found in this thread, in the links below.

0.1.0: http://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/discworld.576214/#post-14461283

Installation: Put the file contained in the zip file in the PrivateMaps folder of the mod you are playing. You can also put it in the
C:\Users\[USERNAME]\Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\PublicMaps folder.

Project page: https://github.com/terkhen/discworld-mapscript-civilization4/

In the project page you can find the Mercurial version control repository in which the Discworld MapScript is hosted.

Last edited:
Too bad no one answered in the past 5 years although it is a really awesome map script. I added it to my mod and really like it. :goodjob:

One request though: Would it be possible to have a terrain type as the edge of the Discworld instead of feature type, please?

Thank you for your interest in the map script! I am very happy that you decided to include it in your mod :)

Implementing that request in a way that works for every possible mod is quite tricky, as the code cannot rely on specific terrain types being present in every mod. So unfortunately I cannot implement it in the generic version found here.

If you do not mind making some modifications and are comfortable with Python coding, tweaking the script to implement what you want for a specific mod would be easy. If you are interested let me know and I can point you to the places that would need to be changed.

Oh, I'm okay with any type of terrain. I can replace it with a different terrain type. I can tweak python but it took my blood to figure out how to change the radius of the disc :lol:
My goal is to make that area space. Than solar systems can added from FF as terrain features to be colonized in the late game :scan:

The border is generated in two passes. The first one is in generatePlotTypes() line 154 and it is setting the plot type to ocean. The second pass is in addFeatures() line 189 and it is setting the feature type to ice.

You will likely need to modify the first pass to set the plot type to the one you need, move the second pass into generateTerrainTypes(), modify it to use setTerrainType with your chosen terrain type instead of setFeatureType with ice. I do not know how plot types and terrain types work in FF so you may need to make some changes to this.

I failed miserably :crazyeye:

That happens when there is some Python error in the MapScript. Set HidePythonExceptions to 0 in your CivilizationIV.ini file and try again. You should get a message mentioning which line of the Python script is failing and why.

Top Bottom