DLC 05 anticipation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
EP, firstly you did not want to share what you know and teased us about the sea civ. Now you confirming it's Indonesia. What made you change your mind?

People figured his hints out (liking posts mentioning Indonesia/the Majapahit).

Dammit, whenever I read Eagle Pursuit's posts I hear it being read in Tyrion Lannister's voice. Now that I am aware I do this it has become super distracting.

I agree with not using the name Indonesia. It basically means "the Indian Islands," which isn't really correct geographically. I wonder why everything ends up being named after India.

Blame the Portuguese for lumping everything together with India as the "Indies".

At least Indonesia is a more accurate name than calling those indigenous to the Americas "Indians."

Blame Columbus for thinking he'd essentially reached the far east end of Indonesia. :lol:

The only reason to prefer Indonesia over Majapahit would be if they wanted to include either traits from the modern day nation, or traits from the other tribes that dominated that area. I'm thinking they may still use only traits from the older time periods, but they may still name it with the modern name, which would essentially mirror how they handle Norway, where all their traits are essentially "viking" but they name it after the modern name for the nation/region.

Norway (the geographical country) has been known as Norway (Norþweg) for over a thousand years. "Viking", despite popular misconception, does not refer to a culture or a civilisation, but the occupation of being a seafaring raider and trader. The correct ethnic term (at least in English) for the people who engaged in such activity would be Dane (if they were from Denmark as in Civ V) or Norseman. Harald Hardrada was the King of Norway, not the "Vikings", so it's entirely appropriate as a name.

Indonesia on the other hand, as others have said is something of a neologism, although it predates the modern state. I agree that they're likely to focus on the thalassocratic empires, probably the Majapahit, and so either that or Java would be most appropriate. They may just go with Indonesia for recognition - they're unlikely to really spread the scope out that much. But you never know- perhaps a more general "Indonesia" would allow for a variety of alternate leaders in either official content or mods.

Last edited:
If there indonesians in this forum, what would they think if the civ was named Nusantra or Negara Agung instead of Indonesia ?

If there indonesians in this forum, what would they think if the civ was named Nusantra or Negara Agung instead of Indonesia ?

I'm not sure but I think that's akin to naming China or Qin "the Middle Kingdom." Just as Civ VI doesn't use "United States" for America, using "The Archipelago" for Indonesia doesn't seem appropriate.

At least Indonesia is a more accurate name than calling those indigenous to the Americas "Indians."

What about the odd direction they took with "Siam", a name that's appropriate for neither the modern state nor the one primarily represented in the game (which was Sukothai)?

People figured his hints out (liking posts mentioning Indonesia/the Majapahit).

He was also liking posts speculating on Malaysia. He didn't have to commit to either.

It's also quite possible he's protecting his source by letting everyone think he's confirmed it's Indonesia when in fact it's Malaysia (or even another civ we haven't hit on or have now dismissed).

Looking through the posts, he's never explicitly confirmed it and still refers to "the civ". Things like "I suspect they'll call it Indonesia" again come close, but in the context used could just mean "If the civ is Indonesian, ..." The closest he's come to an outright confirmation seems to be "I suspect [Gajah Madah] will be the leader".

Last edited:
Others will remember that I said I wasn't enthusiastic about the SEA civ. A few weeks ago I made a post forcefully stating my disdain for civs from outside Europe and the ME that make a return appearance at the cost of new civs from those regions. Other times I have said that I prefer Vietnam.

That was a hint that the SEA civ is a returning civ.

Okay, now I firmly believe Firaxis really wants to tease us. They will do the first look video once we hit 3000 posts.

:confused:

Okay, now I firmly believe Firaxis really wants to tease us. They will do the first look video once we hit 3000 posts.

:confused:
I don't think we'll be seeing a first look video until more or less three weeks. I believe the next 2 weeks will be alternate history videos again, and only then will we have the first look video (these are simply guesses). But I'm torned about which civ I would like to see first : the SE Asian one to confirm EP's info, or the african one because we too many guesses to properly guess ...

I don't think we'll be seeing a first look video until more or less three weeks. I believe the next 2 weeks will be alternate history videos again, and only then will we have the first look video (these are simply guesses). But I'm torned about which civ I would like to see first : the SE Asian one to confirm EP's info, or the african one because we too many guesses to properly guess ...

While most likely true, I do hope you are wrong and we get it early

I don't think we'll be seeing a first look video until more or less three weeks. I believe the next 2 weeks will be alternate history videos again

I think this is almost certainly what they're planning, now we know the next video will be another alternate history.

Firaxis doesn't acknowledge leaks or change their plans due to them. It's their policy. However, they haven't updated their QA build today, and part of me is imagining the QA department sitting around reading a certain 2000 post thread.

Wel't, time ta get tha 'Free Ed Beach' tshirt back out.

If the civ is Indonesia, led it be led by someone else than Gajah Mada. Like Tribhuwana or Hayam Wuruk.

Speaking of both Civ and Wonder Woman, Sean Bean turned down the offer of playing Ares.
I haven't seen the movie yet, but I presume he turned down the role because Ares doesn't die?

I'm not sure but I think that's akin to naming China or Qin "the Middle Kingdom." Just as Civ VI doesn't use "United States" for America, using "The Archipelago" for Indonesia doesn't seem appropriate.

Well... the United States is the country. Isn't your analogy backwards? Which means it is evidence towards the exact opposite of what you proffer it for - just as the US is called 'America,' Indonesia could be called ... well, Southeast Asia I guess.

Some Canadians take offense when the US is refered to as America - well, they are offended as far as Canadians get about anything other than hockey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom