DLC 05 anticipation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know people are sick of the 'Greek' civs, but I do want to see the Byzantine Empire.

*cough*Roman*cough*

I'm not really the target maket for scenarios. I've often been too lazy to play them when I could start with a clean slate in the normal game! But it'd be nice to see a longer scenario that wasn't over in under 100 turns. That would appeal more to me.
And I am very impressed with the scenarios thus far in VI.

At this rate, Thebes the Greek city state because apparently there isn't enough Greek centric civs in this game.

I'm gonna guess a native North America tribe and Korea. Or a Mongol scenario.

However, after seeing Australia, Canada is the for sure sleeper. Wouldn't surprise me at all.

But while a summer DLC makes sense, I am gonna go against master Eagle on this one and say one month. Can't sell a DLC if they don't make one, and the next one is not a freebie for some of us. In fact, maybe they'll make it extra juicy. Hmmm... who would be extra juicy?

Crusades scenario and 3 Euro alternative leaders. That's my final guess. 1 month. But two days late due to difficulty.

You know what civ I think is likely to get in before the first major expansion? Austria.

My reasoning is that every civ that has been added so far has not be represented by a city-state, and I'm wagering it's unlikely that any of the CS will be replaced until the first major expansion. Strangely missing from the current CS list is Vienna, an important city in European history and culture.

And if you want to expand the definition of 'Austria' to be the 'Austrian Empire', we're also missing Prague and Budapest, two other major European cities that were CS in Civ5 but not in Civ6.

Heck, maybe they'll do another two-for and give us an Austria/Ottomans combo DLC? Maybe do a scenario about Suleiman I's campaigns in Europe or some such?

Easter as a major holiday is coming, along with the Memorial day weekend and, following a successful run of patch/dlcs without major hate being thrown at the devs, I think we're likely done now until summer.

Prediction: We'll see a map script pack with "real world" maps and the terra map script as a minor DLC with an accompanying patch in early June, which will be called the "Summer Patch".

About 2 weeks after that, we'll see the announcement of the first full xpac, which will have a military AND EXPLORATION focus. Call it "Conquerors and Colonists". Civs include Mongols, Zulus, Dutch, Canadians, and Haiti (or some other colonial revolter). Pack will include changes to trade and inducements to make colonial policy make sense (which has always been weak in the Civ series).

I'm not as thrilled with speculating for the next DLC as compared to the last time we did this. Probably because we had "signs" in the game code that can be used as a basis for our "prophecies". Here we're just in the dark, essentially. I do have a wishlist though, with major non-Western civs having first priority, and Italy second (because I want an Italian civ sooo baaadddd)..

Or they troll everyone and we get the second Beyond Earth expansion in October :lol:
To be honest, I'd be really excited if that happened, though I doubt it. BE:RT is a good game, but it feels incomplete, and as a result hasn't quite caught up to BNW (though I'd say it surpassed G&K).

I'll also say I'm pretty sure either 2K or Firaxis confirmed (either publicly or response to one of my inquiries) that BE was no longer under any form of development (though I may be mistaken).

Timing:
My guess would be 3 to 5 more DLC’s this year roughly every 2 months again up into the holiday season with patches each time. I still think 1 month was an anomaly trying to finish up the deluxe promise. At least one of those DLC’s will have no Civs at all, and similar to DLC1 & DLC 2, they may put out two DLC’s at one time again. Eventually we will also get 2 full expansions with rules changes. I think those will arrive roughly summer of 2018 and summer of 2019. I am basing this in part on the Civ 5 model which had roughly 10 months of DLC followed by roughly 10 months of nothing before the first full expansion pack. Expansion pack 1 will include some form of Diplomatic Victory. However, assuming sales of the DLC’s are good – I do expect some DLC options between expansion 1 and expansion 2 this time around.

Unlike with DLC 4, we have no overt hints right now at what DLC5 might contain, so I am going to go over a couple of items.

Alternate DLC Content Theories:
Alternate Leaders – I think that one DLC pack will focus on this, and that they will lightly use this in at least one expansion pack as well. I am actually a bit surprised that Gorgo is still the only use of this by Firaxis up to this point. (Isabella anyone?!?)

Alternate Maps – I think that one DLC will focus on this, with the return of a number of popular map scripts such as Terra and the "Plus" maps. Perhaps the free patch that comes along with this particular DLC will add the World Builder as well.

Additional Wonders/City States
– I think this will only be used in Expansion Packs, or as add-ons to other DLC. I don’t think they are popular enough to hold their own as a stand-alone DLC, and would sell poorly. Firaxis may still try this, but I think it would be a flop.

Scenarios – I don’t think they will try this by itself again. Similar to the Wonders and City States I don’t see this as a big enough seller, and based on the feedback from the Vikings DLC I think Firaxis will learn that as well. I do think they make nice add-ons to other DLC’s however.

Civs to Come:
(with no prediction on which are pure DLC and which are in expansions)

99% chance of adding the 3 Civs that have been in Civ 1- Civ 5 and are still missing:
  • Babylonian
  • Mongolian
  • Zulu
90% Chance of adding the 3 “Civs” that have been in Civ 2- Civ 5
  • Carthaginian
  • Celtic
  • One or more Native American tribes
80% Chance of adding the 6 Civs that have been in Civ 3 – Civ 5 (my gut says one of these might never show up, just to shake things up slightly – but I can’t point to any of them as a candidate)
  • Byzantine
  • Dutch
  • Inca
  • Korean
  • Maya
  • Ottoman
  • Portuguese
75% Chance of adding at least two more Civs that we haven’t seen before (similar to Australia, Kongo, and Scythia) my guess is at least one for TSL Map coverage (SE Asia?) and at least one based on overall popularity

60% Chance of adding one of either (but maybe not both)
  • Ethiopia
  • Austria
50% Chance of adding back at least one Civ from an older version that was not in 5 (similar to Sumeria)
  • Khmer
  • Mali
  • Hittite
25% chance per civ of adding back one or more of these Civs from Civ 5
  • Assyrian
  • Hunnic
  • Indonesian
  • Moroccan
  • Polynesian
  • Siamese
  • Songhai
  • Swedish
  • Venetian

Easter as a major holiday is coming, along with the Memorial day weekend and, following a successful run of patch/dlcs without major hate being thrown at the devs, I think we're likely done now until summer.

Prediction: We'll see a map script pack with "real world" maps and the terra map script as a minor DLC with an accompanying patch in early June, which will be called the "Summer Patch".

About 2 weeks after that, we'll see the announcement of the first full xpac, which will have a military AND EXPLORATION focus. Call it "Conquerors and Colonists". Civs include Mongols, Zulus, Dutch, Canadians, and Haiti (or some other colonial revolter). Pack will include changes to trade and inducements to make colonial policy make sense (which has always been weak in the Civ series).

I like this prediction. Would love to see a focus on colonization. Or, alternatively, a re-edition of the re-edition of Colonization as a spin-off would be fine for me too, as long as it's much better than the last one (which was extremely bad without mods).

I would say that Brazil, Poland, and Australia are civs that appeal to specific, large markets. Any that might remain are Korea and Canada.

Kongo and Persia are civs that were in high demand or are perennial favorites. They have fan-appeal also. Mongols, Zulu, Ottomans, and Inca also fall into this group.

We also have leaked things that could be, like Isabella and Genoa. And then there's all the leaders that have been requested.

So that's the biggest possibilities for future DLC.
And what group America belong to? :D Besides history of Poland is a little longer than history of Australia and Brazil. Just saying. I would trade Poland for Incas, Mayans or Persia (which is already here, though I am kinda a little disappointed with it). Still I prefer Poland as the only Central/Eastern European country (not counting Russia here) over Portugal or Dutch, for example.

And what group America belong to? :D Besides history of Poland is a little longer than history of Australia and Brazil. Just saying. I would trade Poland for Incas, Mayans or Persia (which is already here, though I am kinda a little disappointed with it). Still I prefer Poland as the only Central/Eastern European country (not counting Russia here) over Portugal or Dutch, for example.

America is the 20th century world power. If any modern civ belongs in the game, it's America.

Not to mention it's almost certainly the biggest individual market for the game (plus the game is, after all, developed here).

America was active since the industrial era, and a(n arguably dominant) world power since the late modern and early atomic eras. Being present for half the game, and quite powerful for a fourth seems to justify their presence. If England, Russia, Germany, and China had started at a similar time, I'd likely still argue they should be included. If the game wasn't so heavily weighted towards recent history, I'd be more inclined to agree with complaints about America's inclusion.

America is the 20th century world power. If any modern civ belongs in the game, it's America.

Agreed, it's the 20th century world power indeed. Therefore I wouldn't mind seeing Sweden or Denmark in game. They are the leading countries in the world (especially Sweden) concerning what we used to think was a utopic vision of the world (21st century utopic vision); shorter work weeks, male and female equality, renewable energy. The rest of the world lags far behind. Although I'm fairly certain China will at least catch up on the renewable energy part, if not the rest, in the next century.

Ah, ok. So there are people who think modern civs deserve their spot in the game :)

I think that the roster should have an even distribution over all the eras. I'm not sure wheter I agree with including Australia or Brazil (though Brazil is an up-and-coming economy at the moment), but America, most definately. After all, it would be weird to do a moon landing while the first (and only) nation to ever have manned spaceflight to the moon is not in the game.

(oh, and while I'm not quite sure wheter I agree with Australia, they're still my favorite civ because their abilities are so much fun to play with)

They are the leading countries in the world (especially Sweden) concerning what we used to think was a utopic vision of the world (21st century utopic vision); shorter work weeks, male and female equality, renewable energy. The rest of the world lags far behind.
Are they still? Cuz I read more and more comments Sweden is no Sweden anymore... and Vikings became... well... kittenfied (people mostly use p-word here) version of what they used to be.

Are they still? Cuz I read more and more comments Sweden is no Sweden anymore... and Vikings became... well... kittenfied (people mostly use p-word here) version of what they used to be.

Let's not start discussing the current political issues in Sweden. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom