DLC 05 anticipation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's just say there's a reason Brazil and Poland were added at the beginning this time instead of the end, like last time.

I would say that Brazil, Poland, and Australia are civs that appeal to specific, large markets. Any that might remain are Korea and Canada.

Kongo and Persia are civs that were in high demand or are perennial favorites. They have fan-appeal also. Mongols, Zulu, Ottomans, and Inca also fall into this group.

We also have leaked things that could be, like Isabella and Genoa. And then there's all the leaders that have been requested.

So that's the biggest possibilities for future DLC.

My guess is that we'll see another patch in May. Maybe it is accompanied by a DLC. Or the DLC arrives with the summer patch in June/July. I think that the next DLC will not be a civ or leader though. It will be a map pack with real world locations. Maybe only that, maybe also adding some more things. I can see something like this:

'Scrambled continents map-pack for civ VI' includes:
  • Map of Europe with random interior and adding Antwerp City State
  • Map of the Americas with random interior and adding Panama City City State
  • Map of the Middle East with random interior and adding Ugarit City State
  • Map of Southeast Asia with random interior and adding Kathmandu City State
  • Map of Africa with random interior and adding Khartum City State
  • Map of the ever popular thawed Antarctica with random interior and adding Mount Vinson natural wonder (only appearing in snow) that gives a large science boost (+20?) to adjacent campus districts

Yeah, I think June is more likely now. The seasonal titles also imply some regularity in release. Eagle Pursuit may yet be right in that we could be looking at up to 10, even 12 DLC civs before XP1--given 2-3 months between patches, we could see all double civ/leader packs with each update.

If they want to exceed the record-holding Civ5 in terms of # of civs included, then they either need to do more DLC this time or give us more than 2 expansions.

I am curious about whether the "missing" city-states will be future civs or simply added as true CSs in future DLCs. It's strange that historic major cities like Venice, Florence, Marrakesh, Samarkand, etc., are not currently in the game at all. Meanwhile, perrennial expansion pack civs, like the Dutch and Portugal, have *some* presence in the game in the form of CSs. I suppose whether a civ is or is not represented in the vanilla game's city-state spectrum is no indication of future DLC stardom...

I hope it's Byzantium, lord knows we need more Greek civs. :crazyeye:

In all seriousness, I hope they're, at the very least, planning the first expansion. Mechanics aside, part of me hopes that the entire roster of new civs in the first expansion are non-European and non-Western civs. As much as I would like to see Canada, Portugal, or the Netherlands in, the fact is that the base game was over-loaded with European/Western civs, and 3/4 DLC civs (Aztec pre-order bonus not included) were as well. This is bad for variety, and for TSL maps, as it tends to leave Europe over-crowded and other regions barren. With that in mind, I'd hope to see some more far-eastern, south-eastern, African, and native North/South American civs. Something like:

Eastern NA: Shoshone
Eastern SA: Inca
Southern Africa: Zulu or South Africa
Western Africa: Morocco or Mali or Carthage
SEA: Indonesia or Vietnam or Thailand or Khmer or Siam
AUS: Aboriginal Australians
East/Central Asia: Mongolia

My focus here is mostly on distribution for TSL. Although, I do understand that there will likely be at least one European/Western civ, I do hope that most of them turn out to be from other parts of the world.

Last edited:
I am expecting something like this:

Break for 2 months, then another DLC train:

June DLC around E3
August DLC around Gamescom
First expansion in October/November

It wouldn't surprise me to see a yearly expansion that introduces new features and a pack of Leaders/Civs, with smaller DLCs covering new Leaders/Civs/Scenarios/Smaller content items like Wonders, City States & Natural Wonders. With the cadence so far, we can probably expect 1-2 DLC per quarter, but that will likely be dictated by sales.

I just want to hit 50 civs. It was only 7 away in Civ V.

If they had done an XP3, (which would have sold quite well, I might add,) they would have hit this milestone easily.

If Age of Empires 2 can come back from the grave with 3 (and counting) new expansions, Civ can definitely do more at the height of its popularity.

The key is a steady (if not speedy) flow of content to keep fans interested. If they leave too much time between new content updates, people may lose interest and move on, or wait to buy a "gold" pack after everything's done.

I just thought about it. There's so many Civs that definetly need to come back, I think it wouldn't be possible to stuff them all into two expansions.

MUST-COMEs
Netherlands
Portugal
Maya
Inca
Korea
Babylon
Celts
Ottoman Empire

VERY-LIKELYs
Ethiopia
Zulu
Carthaginians

Ones I'd love to see
Polynesia
Khmer
Sioux
Siam

(lists not complete)

That's why I hope they do not refrain yet from DLCs. I like DLCs. I wouldn't mind one every two months. :)

I just thought about it. There's so many Civs that definetly need to come back, I think it wouldn't be possible to stuff them all into two expansions.

MUST-COMEs
Netherlands
Portugal
Maya
Inca
Korea
Babylon
Celts
Ottoman Empire

VERY-LIKELYs
Ethiopia
Zulu
Carthaginians

Ones I'd love to see
Polynesia
Khmer
Sioux
Siam

(lists not complete)

That's why I hope they do not refrain yet from DLCs. I like DLCs. I wouldn't mind one every two months. :)
I think there are some more we will see very likely: Sweden, Morocco, Byzanz and (give how often it is requested and would be a first) Vietnam. For some reason native American civs are also in high demand all the time and you only listed one so far. I can imagine a larger DLC adding 2-3 of those. And I really do consider Italy/Genoa as very likely, because of the mentioning in the game files and the absence of any italian city states. I still hope for a map pack first though ;-) (except for Hitties and Nubia, if those are planned, bring them asap)

I am expecting something like this:

Break for 2 months, then another DLC train:

June DLC around E3
August DLC around Gamescom
First expansion in October/November

It wouldn't surprise me to see a yearly expansion that introduces new features and a pack of Leaders/Civs, with smaller DLCs covering new Leaders/Civs/Scenarios/Smaller content items like Wonders, City States & Natural Wonders. With the cadence so far, we can probably expect 1-2 DLC per quarter, but that will likely be dictated by sales.

You mention E3, which reminds me that Firaxis don't have any actual games announced to come out this year - if we look back, counting Beyond Earth and XCOM, Firaxis has released a game or full expansion every year since... 2012ish if my memory is right? Since they have nothing on the table at the moment apart from any further Civ DLC, I think that E3 could be when they start talking about the first expansion, that is unless they are planning to announce & release something for XCOM2 towards the end of the year.

You mention E3, which reminds me that Firaxis don't have any actual games announced to come out this year - if we look back, counting Beyond Earth and XCOM, Firaxis has released a game or full expansion every year since... 2012ish if my memory is right? Since they have nothing on the table at the moment apart from any further Civ DLC, I think that E3 could be when they start talking about the first expansion, that is unless they are planning to announce & release something for XCOM2 towards the end of the year.

Exactly. I'm thinking they'll announce the expansion at E3 and release a DLC sometime in June too. It's good to have some fresh content for the summer sale to entice new buyers into spending a little more--the base game will likely be 30-50% off, so that money saved can then be spent on the new DLC and discounted older DLC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom