DLC 05 anticipation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Testing schedule could mean anything. We know there is probably a patch, an expansion, DLC and cross platform multiplayer in the works. The team has probably been split up at this point to tackle these different pieces in relative isolation. The xpac could have several teams within it.

At the end of a project, contracts expire and changes in process are adopted. It wouldn't surprise me if their testing behaviour was also affected by the 'deluxe dlc' coming to an end.

SkyDome (now known as Rogers Centre) could be considered a wonder as well...

It's the first stadium with a functioning retractable roof in the world.

Didn't the colloseum supposedly have a retractable cloth roof? Or is that just fiction?

I forgot to mention how I miss the mechanics of doing an economic sanction / ban luxury from Civ V. I wish this returns in Civ 6 expansion along with World Congress.
Economic sanctions, yes; ban luxuries, no. The AI would just idiotically ban luxuries for no conceivable reason, plus banning luxuries in Civ6 would hurt a lot more than it did in Civ5. (Which one might say is an argument for its return--but I say only if the AI uses the vote more intelligently, viz. doesn't ban luxuries in use by itself or its allies, only those in use by its enemies.) In general, I hope the world congress in Civ6 ends up a lot more interesting than that in Civ5; I tried to keep control of it in Civ5 simply because the AI employed it in the most massively idiotic fashion.

Didn't the colloseum supposedly have a retractable cloth roof? Or is that just fiction?
The Colosseum did have a retractable cloth roof, but it didn't fully cover the stadium; the playing field was exposed at all times. Rogers Centre is the first to have a fully functioning motorized retractable roof that covers the entire stadium.

Their change in testing pattern probably reflects some kind of internal change in the company.

Well, this is now the 5th DLC, so the dev team are probably quite familiar with the engine by now and the QA team probably know what aspects of the game tend to break and need the most rigorous testing each time, so a relaxed schedule could simply be a sign of them having settled into a more efficient production cycle.

Economic sanctions, yes; ban luxuries, no. The AI would just idiotically ban luxuries for no conceivable reason, plus banning luxuries in Civ6 would hurt a lot more than it did in Civ5. (Which one might say is an argument for its return--but I say only if the AI uses the vote more intelligently, viz. doesn't ban luxuries in use by itself or its allies, only those in use by its enemies.) In general, I hope the world congress in Civ6 ends up a lot more interesting than that in Civ5; I tried to keep control of it in Civ5 simply because the AI employed it in the most massively idiotic fashion.

If they apply the same Civ VI map philosophy to the World Congress when it returns (y'know, the every game is different because you have to play to your surroundings motto) it could be quite interesting. Rather than a growing list of fixed resolutions that you would choose from and wind up voting for two a la Civ V, each session could randomly generate four or five resolutions based on ingame events since the last session and you would all have to vote on how to deal with each of them.

For example, one player goes on a warmongering spree, so one of the resolutions would be whether the embargo sanction should be placed on them. Meanwhile, another player has fallen into an extended period of gold deficit, so another resolution would be whether you wished to force all the civs in the game to send them financial aid in return for some kind of reward, or simply to tactically drain your rival's gold stores, and so on. Stuff like that would make the congress feel like a living, independent entity from the ingame civs rather than just an extension to the diplomacy system, and it would bring back the random events some players want, but in a controlled manner so as not to annoy players (like myself) that dislike totally random stuff occurring that messes up your plans.

Except for feeling warm and fuzzy inside, why would anyone ever provide financial aid to anyone else? If they're negative gold with nothing stored and have nothing to trade to make up the deficit, they are worth less than nothing as an ally, now or ever, and being friendly with them will just make an enemy out of whomever comes along to devour them.

Except for feeling warm and fuzzy inside, why would anyone ever provide financial aid to anyone else? If they're negative gold with nothing stored and have nothing to trade to make up the deficit, they are worth less than nothing as an ally, now or ever, and being friendly with them will just make an enemy out of whomever comes along to devour them.

in return for some kind of reward, or simply to tactically drain your rival's gold stores,

At any rate, these are theoretical examples for an equally theoretical system :p

In MP there are numerous scenarios where financial aid is an extremely intelligent strategy.

In general, I hope the world congress in Civ6 ends up a lot more interesting than that in Civ5; I tried to keep control of it in Civ5 simply because the AI employed it in the most massively idiotic fashion.

Well, I'm confident they'll come up with some interesting game mechanics for the world congress in Civ 6. Whether they'll have an AI that can use them properly, well, I'm not sure I'd wager on that one.

I was never a big fan of the World Congress. It just wasn't a significant part of my tourism strategy. Plus, it was tedious to sort through city-states to pay them off so I could stay in charge every so many turns. Of course, I play huge maps, so that was a contributing factor (very many city-states) to my distaste, but I had to remain in charge of it to keep my own "friends" from banning my luxuries or promoting a different religion. So it was a great deal of tedium just for active denial.

In Civ VI, the envoy system makes dealing with city-states less tedious, so that will help. But a lot of it will come down to how good the AI is about using it appropriately. Which others have said.

I was never a big fan of the World Congress. It just wasn't a significant part of my tourism strategy. Plus, it was tedious to sort through city-states to pay them off so I could stay in charge every so many turns. Of course, I play huge maps, so that was a contributing factor (very many city-states) to my distaste, but I had to remain in charge of it to keep my own "friends" from banning my luxuries or promoting a different religion. So it was a great deal of tedium just for active denial.

In Civ VI, the envoy system makes dealing with city-states less tedious, so that will help. But a lot of it will come down to how good the AI is about using it appropriately. Which others have said.
This is my experience with the world congress as well. If it doesn't function better than it did in Civ4 and Civ5, I'd prefer to see it left out in favor of fine-tuning actual diplomacy. I think vote trading and cooperative/competitive projects were the only redeeming features of the system.

I was never a big fan of the World Congress. It just wasn't a significant part of my tourism strategy.

It was great for a wonder-whoring tourism victory (wonders + cultural heritage sites + hotels could often end the game before the internet). That only really worked up through emperor though, after that the AI had more wonders than you and you didn't want cultural heritage sites passing! Then it became a great musician bombing strategy.

One thing I'm sure the AI won't do in a Civ VI congress is to ban crabs.. Oh, did they change crab from luxury to bonus resource as a joke? It isn't a luxury anymore because it was banned? :think:

@CivLuvah I have a suspicion that they are using tiniest possible resources to produce something half finished, while majority of their employees develop other projects. At least that's the feel i got based on support since the release. The way i see it, most of the good stuff comes from good hearts and minds of fans and supporters of this game/company - they didn't really broke their back trying to polish, finish or make the game substantially better. At least not in a decent manner or time frame, for a big rich development studio like them. I vowed, never ever to pre-order Firaxis title, they treat community like gabage, :D. I wonder how they treat someone who don't give them money?

I think they claimed their next DLCs were going to add leaders from Africa and SE Asia to appease critics of the Eurocentric vanilla game lineup (plus with Kongo being a Civ that can't found any religion, and it's the only black African Civ in the game, brings up a whole another can of worms). Also TSL Earth map complaints. Then, they started work on these DLCs and have been struggling to finish them for some reason. Or perhaps most of their team already started work on the next expansion?

The Colosseum did have a retractable cloth roof, but it didn't fully cover the stadium; the playing field was exposed at all times. Rogers Centre is the first to have a fully functioning motorized retractable roof that covers the entire stadium.

It's called the SkyDome, you uncultured swine. This is what happens when you don't build theater squares. ;)

@CivLuvah I have a suspicion that they are using tiniest possible resources to produce something half finished, while majority of their employees develop other projects. At least that's the feel i got based on support since the release. The way i see it, most of the good stuff comes from good hearts and minds of fans and supporters of this game/company - they didn't really broke their back trying to polish, finish or make the game substantially better. At least not in a decent manner or time frame, for a big rich development studio like them. I vowed, never ever to pre-order Firaxis title, they treat community like gabage, :D. I wonder how they treat someone who don't give them money?

The way I see it, the fact that they are at least announcing (and working on) two DLCs that will silence those who think Civ6 is too Eurocentric (in which there are many threads about the topic littered all throughout the forums) means that they are paying attention to what's happening in the forums here.

I tend not to have the assumption that people have bad faith. It doesn't mean I'm gullible, it's just that people these days tend to assume people do have bad faith. For me assuming that people have bad faith just makes me less level-headed. Like I need more impatience in my life than I already have... :twitch:

The way I see it, the fact that they are at least announcing (and working on) two DLCs that will silence those who think Civ6 is too Eurocentric (in which there are many threads about the topic littered all throughout the forums) means that they are paying attention to what's happening in the forums here.

I tend not to have the assumption that people have bad faith. It doesn't mean I'm gullible, it's just that people these days tend to assume people do have bad faith. For me assuming that people have bad faith just makes me less level-headed. Like I need more impatience in my life than I already have... :twitch:
They are definitely checking out what's happening in the forums. That's what makes it even weirder to post praise or criticism. Knowing that the big brother is among us but not a peep out of him. At least in those weird reality shows Big Brother speaks to them in that weird electronic voice. If only they change their policy and start communicating with us. I know for sure - nobody would dare to bust their balls over anything if they used just a little honest communicating with community. I would shut up instantly and accept if something is what it is, if only they explain for <snip> example - why the rankings at the end of the game don't work - because we know it's just a matter of fixing the calculating formula - just say why isn't there a human resource that can get this done - mind you, we bought it as a part of a finished game! HoF? Video replay? That little stuff is what i just can't get over, and month into month, my faith just crumbled down into cold reality that there's no enough money back to them if they spend resources just to polish the game, make it better, etc... when people are already happy out of their minds with half baked product... i don't know, i keep chasing my tail trying to voice my, pretty depressing opinion about the state of the game.
I want to be more jolly and positive assuming like you. I guess being rotten, causes distorted view of everybody in the world being rotten. Prove me wrong Firaxis! It's do or die with this next whateverItIsThatYouWillPublish!

Moderator Action: Please do not use inappropriate language, changed your post without changing meaning.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom