Do I need a bigger spec computer

I think python also supports multithreading (not sure how good support) and I've been thinking that maybe some python guru could convert Civ 4 user interface to use threading which would make interface faster?!?

The UI shold not be the cause of the slow turns. In my turn RoM as fast as Vanilla, it's just slow in AI turns. It's the AI and the bulk of data whick makes the game slower.

The handling of the data can be made faster with complex algorithms. Where is the xml handling engine? In the exe, in dll or in python?
The AI also can be made faster with complex algorithms. I know AI can be modded so it should be in dll or in python (?).

Civ concept is very unparallel it's hard to find a point where we can say that "this calculations can run parallel" because they are independent from each other. Maybe city AI, and unit AI.

That would be nice, the civilopedia is pretty slow...

The only problem that I see is that for both C++ and Python Multithreading, you need to add new API for the multithreading functions...

That would not be fun.

It would be nice if we could convince Jdog or EmperorFool to start a project though...
Hmmm. Maybe it's time for me to learn modding. This problem, and it's solving sounds great fun for me. :D

The UI shold not be the cause of the slow turns. In my turn RoM as fast as Vanilla, it's just slow in AI turns. It's the AI and the bulk of data whick makes the game slower.
Actually UI does slow down turns - BUG mod comes with timers that can be seen in debug mode. For example disabling some plot list and scoreboard features can speed up the UI (I remember reading about this from BUG mod forum). I'm not sure how often scoreboard is updated on the screen but if it's after each player's turn and if it takes couple seconds to draw the scoreboard in late game you could loose 1 minute because of it (with 30 players or so). At the early part of the game drawing the scoreboard takes about 300ms. I could run some tests...

Actually UI does slow down turns - BUG mod comes with timers that can be seen in debug mode. For example disabling some plot list and scoreboard features can speed up the UI (I remember reading about this from BUG mod forum). I'm not sure how often scoreboard is updated on the screen but if it's after each player's turn and if it takes couple seconds to draw the scoreboard in late game you could loose 1 minute because of it (with 30 players or so). At the early part of the game drawing the scoreboard takes about 300ms. I could run some tests...

:eek: After reading this I think it would be cool to get a detailed list of the time cost of the RoM features. Never tought that UI can slow down so dramatically the turns. (Based on a late game save game where an AI turn is minimum 1 minute long)

Maybe implement an extra option : Swith off erverything UI except map in AI turns, and swith back after it. ;)

I've noticed that the time between clicking on a building to build in the City Examine screen and the time it is added to the queue has risen dramatically in RoM. It can take upward of 2 seconds. Is this because of BUG too? If so, is there a way we can cut down on this?

I've noticed that the time between clicking on a building to build in the City Examine screen and the time it is added to the queue has risen dramatically in RoM. It can take upward of 2 seconds. Is this because of BUG too? If so, is there a way we can cut down on this?
Probably not BUG itself but maybe RoM because I haven't added all building buttons to atlas files yet - When I added most of the tech buttons to atlas file I noticed that it reduced the loading of tech screen quite drastically so generally it's better to have all buttons in atlases as that way the game needs to load only couple files instead of hundreds of button files (hard disk seek time etc. increases the delay).

Probably not BUG itself but maybe RoM because I haven't added all building buttons to atlas files yet - When I added most of the tech buttons to atlas file I noticed that it reduced the loading of tech screen quite drastically so generally it's better to have all buttons in atlases as that way the game needs to load only couple files instead of hundreds of button files (hard disk seek time etc. increases the delay).
Think of it as looking at one big page instead of hundreds of papers.;)

Oh, Atlas's speed up loading times? I had no idea. I'll add all my buttons to a big atlas myself now.

wait, we already converted to cpickle right?

I wonder if Civfanatics could do a community multithreading program, we probably have enough talented modders here

Forgive me, but what is "cpickle"?

Regarding the community multithreading idea, that would be really fantastic. It would require quite some managing, though.

Forgive me, but what is "cpickle"?

Regarding the community multithreading idea, that would be really fantastic. It would require quite some managing, though.
From what I understand, there is a line in the Python files that is "Import pickle". I do not know why but changing it to cpickle makes it much faster.

From what I understand, there is a line in the Python files that is "Import pickle". I do not know why but changing it to cpickle makes it much faster.

AFAIK, Pickle has to do with "serializing" data. Using Cpickle removes a little of the customization of the pickle attributes, but works about 1000x times faster as it was written in C++ instead of Python. I'm sure someone who has ever used pickle and Cpickle could is explain it better though....

It makes it MUCH FASTER! that's all I know and seeing as I don't use it it is good enough for me

Well i got my (noisy) PC with 1GB Radeon 4870 graphics card, 3.4 Quad Core AMD processor , 8GB RAM etc etc. Installed Civ 4, and the first thing it said was along the lines of "Your computer spec is below the recommended spec for this game, resetting graphics to lowest settings".
Which I thought was a bit odd.

Well i got my (noisy) PC with 1GB Radeon 4870 graphics card, 3.4 Quad Core AMD processor , 8GB RAM etc etc. Installed Civ 4, and the first thing it said was along the lines of "Your computer spec is below the recommended spec for this game, resetting graphics to lowest settings".
Which I thought was a bit odd.

if it isn't 64 bit it can only use 3.5GB RAM and it probably says below system requirements because 3.4/4=0.85GB somewhat underwhelming for Civ 4

Basically I've played this mod and what an awesome mod it is, I really like the details etc
Just one (major) problem. It doesn't run properly on my computer! The interturns are so slow, even at the beginning, I hate to think what it will be like in the modern era! Basically it gets to a point after 15mins or so where it just quits out of windows.
I can only assume this is because of my PC. I have:
Intel Pentium 4 3.2 Ghz Processor
1GB RAM
Saphire 9600 Atlantis Card
Windows XP

Not a bad spec, but maybe not good enough for mods these days?

I'm looking at spending $1000 or so on an upgrade, AMD Phenom Quad Core processor, 8GB RAM, Radeon HD4870.
Will this help make this mod work?
The problem is that Pentium 4 (C and C only) and Radeon 9 series had their glory days......back in 2003, and of course that was 6 years ago. It is gonna have a tough time handling any game with semi-decent graphics/physics that is released within the last 3 years.

I think your Phenom II and 8GB RAM are fine, but you may want something newer than 4870...5770 maybe?

On my test game (standard map size, 20+ civs at 2000AD with revolution+barb civ components) the game used 1.1GB of RAM (Windows 7, 64bit). Don't know how much video RAM was used since I don't know if that could be checked from anywhere...

RoM just totally ruined civ for me

I've played civ since the original one on the amiga, few days ago I installed this mod and it's so great that I can't go back to normal civ4 now, but I can't also play it because after 1-2 hours I totally lose interest because each turn takes 2-3 minutes (on standard maps).

ARGH !

Top Bottom