Do monoliths disintegrate?

Kehgrehdid

Chieftain
I seem to remember one game where I went to visit a monolith, and after promoting or repairing my unit, the monolith disappeared. I'm working my way up to higher difficulty and use monoliths as instant field repair whenever I can to keep my forces attacking persistently on the front. As things get tougher, I would tend to use them much more sparingly if I knew they could disappear on me if I used them too much.
Can anyone set me straight as to whether this is something I need to watch out for, or if it was just a bad dream? Thanks!

There is a 1/32 chance of a monolith disappearing if you use it to upgrade morale. I am not 100 percent sure, but I think you can repair all you want.

I think that green1 is correct about upgrades possibly causing monoliths to vanish, but not repairs. Here are some links to previous threads where this issue was discussed:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=294198
http://www.civgaming.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7166

I still don't know how the "1-in-32 chance" fact was discovered. scient verified the probability by looking at the code, but it was floating around many years before that happened. The SMAC devs used to post on Apolyton. Perhaps one of them communicated this fact to one of the players.

I seem to remember one game where I went to visit a monolith, and after promoting or repairing my unit, the monolith disappeared. I'm working my way up to higher difficulty and use monoliths as instant field repair whenever I can to keep my forces attacking persistently on the front. As things get tougher, I would tend to use them much more sparingly if I knew they could disappear on me if I used them too much.
Can anyone set me straight as to whether this is something I need to watch out for, or if it was just a bad dream? Thanks!

Since it only happens with upgrades, there's no need to be sparing.

Look on the bright side; removing a monolith means you can now terraform the tile - which in the late-game is often preferable.

(The need for monoliths is significantly decreased in the late-game, what with the various secret projects that improve morale and eventually the Nano Factory to repair things in the field.)

Great, thanks for the help!

Top Bottom