• No

• Sometimes

• Yes but my complaints shape positive changes

• No the Devs are doing their customers a disservice

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Look at it this way:
People who usually critique something are usually the biggest fans wanting the thing to improve.
And you are on a website populated by fans.

I am not complaining at all about Chandy now that he's out.

Me too. However, he is decidedly not female, which will of course lead to more complaints.

Couldn't we argue instead about 1 UPT? Maybe republicans & democrats also have different views about that ;) We could
call Donald Trump an evil advocate of "building walls" around his cities. & Barack Obama of being "not-loyal"
and running away with that nice new city we just settled.

As far as I'm concerned, complaining about Civ 6's lack of ability to explaining its VCs well and improving its UI is absolutely reasonable.

The fact that the civilopedia does not describe at all what the value of a Domestic Tourist is and how to generate them, meaning that the means to win a Culture Victory is unexplained anywhere in the game, is objectively a user interface failure. There's a lot issues I have with Civ 6's UI, but I think we can all agree that we can at least set the bar at "explaining how to reach a victory condition."

Please don't take this as me being condescending, but that was my joke.
LOL. In my defense, it was after 1am over here, so my brain was a little slow ;).

I think he means a "social justice warrior", a person that clings to ideological ideas no matter
how absurd they can become in some situations.
& yes, 19:8 is not 50%, which is the point. Just imagine you wouldn't choose these leaders
because they are fun & interesting, but because you want to "promote a cause" or "fullfill a quota".

Thank you and yes that is my point.

People wont complain about leaders being female if they did not think there was an agenda behind it.

People wont complain about leaders being female if they did not think there was an agenda behind it.

....or they're whiny MRA babies who can't stomach the idea of greater diversity. Funny how they put up Gandhi as leader of India, & nobody complains.....even though he never actually led that Country. Yet choose a woman as a leader of a nation, even if said person actually did lead the nation, & led it extremely successfully, & all the MRA cry-babies have a major conniption fit. Its really quite pathetic.

Moderator Action: Please keep the discussion civil and avoid insulting other posters --NobleZarkon
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Last edited by a moderator:

Eh, people think there's an agenda behind everything.

Someone just two days ago tried to tell me that "Obama took all the good cars" because he didn't want people to get places in the winter.

....or they're whiny MRA babies who can't stomach the idea of greater diversity. Funny how they put up Gandhi as leader of India, & nobody complains.....even though he never actually led that Country. Yet choose a woman as a leader of a nation, even if said person actually did lead the nation, & led it extremely successfully, & all the MRA cry-babies have a major conniption fit. Its really quite pathetic.

Because there is no agenda behind Gandhi. He is just a historical figure. So no one really cares.

But from your tone it is quite clear you are the type of person I am talking about. It is about agenda, not design for you.

Someone just two days ago tried to tell me that "Obama took all the good cars" because he didn't want people to get places in the winter.

Well I dont complain about the female leaders but given the current climate where SJWs attack everything and everyone who they perceive to be "off message" I can see where people are coming from. It is the perception that has been created.

Great example see the previous poster that quoted me. Very aggressive and hateful.

Wait, now what's MRA? I feel so uninformed...

Also, people (different ones perhaps then the anti-female leader group) DID complain about Gandhi. Most of whom are now thrilled with the new Not-Gandhi/Pseudo-Cyrus alt leader for India.

Contemporary politics often get the best of large fandoms these days and Civ is definitely not an exception.

Well, I would be happy if they would stay away from civ - and a whole lot of other games & movies. If you want to promote a cause
simply create a great movie/game yourself. Don't try to hijack something other people created.

who can't stomach the idea of greater diversity.

Point proven.

Wait, now what's MRA? I feel so uninformed...

"Men's Rights Activists." They have a range of views from people who think men are disproportionately disfavored in custody hearings to people who think that any attempt to give women a more equal role in society is an attack on men or an attack on masculinity. Google, if you dare.

Also, people (different ones perhaps then the anti-female leader group) DID complain about Gandhi. Most of whom are now thrilled with the new Not-Gandhi/Pseudo-Cyrus alt leader for India.

I think there was a faction who disliked Gandhi. Though I think they are also the ones who complain about the game being too Euro-centric, so I think they're a different group.

So, back kind of OT....

You know, I think that of all of the statistics, my next information is all we need to know about the state of this game in its current form. There has been an expansion announced, and we are in that period between the base game and the expansion. If you click to page two of the these general discussion threads, you find this date for the posting (as of the time of this post, CST):

December 18, 2017

That's TEN DAYS ago. That's for the bottom of page two in the general discussion. I remember in the Civ 3 and 4 and even 5 days how the first 3-4 PAGES of this forum would only be several days old (if that), especially when discussing new expansions and the current game at the same time. I mean, 3 days ago is still page one here, and before the expansion announcement that last thread on page one could run as many as six days old.

I am truly hoping that the expansion does well, but I am not playing it until it has been out at least a few months and know that some of my frustrations have been worked out. I have clocked many hours of Civ 3 in the past few months, along with 4 and 5. In fact, Civ 6 has been my 4th most played game in the past quarter.

I can't even compete on Monarch in Civ 3 with 12 civs on a large map half the time. But in Civ 6 I beat Deity without too much problem (as long as you survive the early rush). To me, that's a problem. I want a challenge. When Monarch in Civ 3 becomes too easy (it's been a while so I'm relearning lol) there is still Emperor, Immortal (EDIT: that was Demigod back then), Deity, and Sid. But in 6, I don't have anything other than manipulating game conditions.

I hope that changes.

I wrote the following in the Civ 3 thread, and I think I will repost it here because it does go to the root of complaints versus expectations:

So, I think all of you are onto something in this thread. I have played all civs a whole lot from 2-6 (especially 3-6) and I'm beginning to think that I'm just expecting too much out of 6. Movies had their heyday back in the 40's and 50's (heck maybe even the 30's). Popular music had its heyday in the 60's and 70's. Civ had it's heyday in Civ III and Civ IV.

It's not that new movies or music or Civ games are bad. It's just not in the same societal context as today. And with Civ, when Civ III came out, this game was simply the bomb in relation to the computer environment and other games out. To me, there was no comparison. So, even if they make 6 better in the end, it's won't be better than III or IV if for no other reason than from the standpoint that the context is different.

Time to start up another Monarch game on a large map with 12 civs and try not to get crushed again.... I forgot that the AI doesn't mess around back in the III days! I need to remember how to maximize that cow and floodplains wheat again....

So, yes the complaints are warranted, and yes, we expect too much, all at the same time....

I remember in the Civ 3 and 4 and even 5 days how the first 3-4 PAGES of this forum would only be several days old (if that), especially when discussing new expansions and the current game at the same time. I mean, 3 days ago is still page one here, and before the expansion announcement that last thread on page one could run as many as six days old.

But that was when Internet Forums where one of, if not the, primary way to communicate about such things. Now with so many other outlets (and alternate video entertainment choices) the gaming and civ community is spread out more. It's like comparing TV ratings of popular shows today vs. popular shows in the 90's that had less competition. Seinfield and ER had roughly double the ratings of today's top comedies and dramas, even though there are more people overall watching TV-style content

Back in the days of Civ 3 and Civ 4 the idea of people posting and watching videos of actual game play would have been mind-blowing! We were all reading AAR's and marveling at low-res screen shots.

But that was when Internet Forums where one of, if not the, primary way to communicate about such things. Now with so many other outlets (and alternate video entertainment choices) the gaming and civ community is spread out more. It's like comparing TV ratings of popular shows today vs. popular shows in the 90's that had less competition. Seinfield and ER had roughly double the ratings of today's top comedies and dramas, even though there are more people overall watching TV-style content

Back in the days of Civ 3 and Civ 4 the idea of people posting and watching videos of actual game play would have been mind-blowing! We were all reading AAR's and marveling at low-res screen shots.

I also don't remember many single threads that had 100+ pages.

The irony in complaining about "SJWs" "pushing" some kind of "ideology" is that is also an ideological stance.

So yes, some folks complain too much. But complaining about an invisible mass of people who simply want better representation in video games really takes the biscuit for me :)

I also don't remember many single threads that had 100+ pages.

Yes, but those threads have really not been about game play and strategy, they have been about DLC anticipations and the like (there are a few exceptions, but for the most part look at the content of those threads).

So, things have changed drastically about internet forums from the time of BNW until now? I'm not sure I agree, and there are more players now than before, so....

EDIT: Look at the bottom of page one of the strategy forums. The CURRENT GAME Civ 6 has a post at the bottom of November 9. Civ 5 goes back to December, 2016. Civ 4? September 18, 2017. It's almost keeping up with the new game, and anything new in it ended a long time ago....
I think the golden age of the Civilization series has ended. So say our analysts.... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom