Do you build factories?

Do you build factories?

• I build them wherever I can!

Votes: 160 87.0%
  • I never build them!

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I build 2-3 for wonders and SS parts.

Votes: 14 7.6%
  • I win before the Industrial Age so, I don't know what one is.

Votes: 7 3.8%

• Total voters
I don't want to sound high and mighty, but you're conclusion is wrong. I'm not gonna expend myself proving it to you, but look at a city that has a Nuke Plant and a Hydro Plant from Hoover's. Yes, it may appear, but if you count the shields you will find that only the Nuke Plant has effect.

Oh, and yes you require a Factory. That's a given, so I didn't feel a need to post it. Obviously wou will have one in addition to the Plants I listed.

Hoover will still be useful for your cities that aren't on fresh water (and therefore cannot build Nuclear Plants).

But, yes, once you build a Nuclear Plant in a city, Hoover no longer provides any benefit to that particular city. (Until and unless the NP is destroyed/sold...)

Beamup said:
... But, yes, once you build a Nuclear Plant in a city, Hoover no longer provides any benefit to that particular city. (Until and unless the NP is destroyed/sold...)
I never encountered this, but it'll be true, since two people here are saying it is. :)

LionQ said:
To build a NuclearP, you'll need a Factory. And with the Hoover Dam you'll get a Hydro Plant anywhere that does nót replace any other power plant in the city. Furthermore, I thought ManPlants don't replace any other power plant in the city.

Conclusion: with the Hoover Dam a city can have a Factory, a Hydro Plant, a Nuclear Plant and a Manufacturing Plant. However, the city needs to meet the specific requirements to build these City Improvements, meaning a city still needs fresh water to build a NPlant, for instance.

While it is true that you can have a city that has all of these improvements, you only get the benefits of the best ones.

This Strategy Article tells all about it.

In your example, the Factory, Manufacturing Plant and the Nuclear Power Plant would take effect, but NOT the Hydro Plant.

Manufacturing Plants do not replace other factories, but they do each give the production bonus, so you should NOT sell the Factory after building the plant.

I usually build a factory in a city that is nowhere near the mountains to make up for the lack of shields, I also build them in these cities because if I don't the lack of shields makes their production times ungodly slow. Basically its about the shields to me.

Tank_Guy#3 said:
I usually build a factory in a city that is nowhere near the mountains to make up for the lack of shields, I also build them in these cities because if I don't the lack of shields makes their production times ungodly slow. Basically its about the shields to me.
You could also plant Forests, if Hills and Mountains are outside the City Radius. :mischief:

Mine + rail = forest shields, plus one food, sometimes.

Factories to me are a must in my core cities and my "original" cities usually as well. But as I take over more stuff (especially on another continent) I get a little more hesitant so I create localized core cities that have all the developments and from there on the (rr's in city radius) development branches out to fringe cities.

On higher levels, factories are a must have in every productive city, period.
A productive city is a city producing at least 10 or maybe 8 (I sometimes hesitate) base, uncorrupted shields.
Unless you're already close to winning by conquest (in which case you may prefer to spend the shields on a couple more military units), you must build them. You also need coal plants. Any city that deserves a factory deserves a coal plant. Later, you may replace coal plants by hydro (or better, Hoover dam).
A good use of factories and plants is the key to victory. Here's the plan I usually follow:
When I enter the industrial age, I try to make the best of the AI foolishly running towards nationalism and communism. Meanwhile, I research Steam power first (of course; it's the most important tech in the whole game), then industrialization, and immediately start building factories. I rush one and a coal plant in my two top cities and start prebuilds for TOE and HD. I research Scientific method ASAP, complete TOE and take atomic theory and electronics as a reward. I then complete the HD and scrap the coal plants. Then I go to replaceable parts, and after they complete factories, all my cities are set to producing nothing but Infantry, Cavalry and artillery (at least 50% of the latter!). Then I just thrash my neighbours. Or go for a spaceship victory if I'm not too far behind.
Factories are so important that I'm willing to postpone sanitation until I have the HD. Anyway, hospitals take forever to build without factories.

Only AFTER recycling, and i build the Rec plant first (unless its a small city like ~8 pop)

LOL, why wouldn't I want to build factories in my core cities?? I can probably get +10 or so shields with it, and then aim for Hoover Dam, that means basically Good Game. If the game lasts enough, I build some NPP in my core cities, but usually it's over by then, unless I am on Huge map.

I don't see any reason NOT to build factories. The production bonus is a must if you expect to be able to keep up with other nations in terms of military power unless all you plan to do is defend. Besides, NPPs will increase the factory output without adding pollution. Even with pollution, you should have a lot of workers by then. When factories roll around, the map is usually fully colonized or mostly colonized, so most of my workers can be redirected to management of my cities rather than developing new ones.

Overall, we could sum up this thread like this: if you don't build factories ASAP (at least in your core cities), you probably need to play on a higher difficulty level. ;)

I used to always build factories but now I never do. By that time I usually have a lead and want to get the game over with ASAP, so I build nonstop military units instead.

Always. 50% production is big, plus Hoover doubles the effect.

I build them in core cities. I always try to have a city with a factory to start Industrial great wonders (Darwin and Hoover, but especially Hoover).
I don't build them on fringe cities, where it takes too long.

morchuflex said:
Overall, we could sum up this thread like this: if you don't build factories ASAP (at least in your core cities), you probably need to play on a higher difficulty level. ;)

I agree. Actually I didn't expect anyone to have answered "No". Does anyone who usually plays Emperor or above is against building factories?

Off course I don't mean to build in EVERY city, as in a big empires, producing +50% of almost nothing is... nothing!

Top Bottom