Do you build factories?

Do you build factories?

• I build them wherever I can!

Votes: 160 87.0%
  • I never build them!

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I build 2-3 for wonders and SS parts.

Votes: 14 7.6%
  • I win before the Industrial Age so, I don't know what one is.

Votes: 7 3.8%

• Total voters
My rule of thumb is that if a city can build the factory in 10 or less turns, then it gets one.

I prebuild factories as well. If your city is only producing 10-15 shields a turn then you may want to learn more about city placement. I regularly have 5-10 cities producing over 100 shields per turn once I build Hoover Dam.

If your game ends before the industrial age:

1. Dont you feel cheated that you get to play half the game and yet you paid full price?

2. Maybe you need to move up to a higher level or stop playing on mini maps.

3. So your saying since you dont play in industrial and modern age then my 7yr old could beat you or a hamster much less the AI in a modern age (WWII) scenario??

If my game ended after 200 turns I would want to throw the game away.
It doesnt get fun untill you get armored units.

LionQ said:
Make sure you get the Hoover Dam and then start building Factories. :)
No. Hoover Dam comes too late. You want factories as soon as possible. Besides, you want a factory and coal plant to build the Hoover Dam, no?

Spartanism said:
I prebuild factories as well. If your city is only producing 10-15 shields a turn then you may want to learn more about city placement. I regularly have 5-10 cities producing over 100 shields per turn once I build Hoover Dam.

If your game ends before the industrial age:

1. Dont you feel cheated that you get to play half the game and yet you paid full price?

2. Maybe you need to move up to a higher level or stop playing on mini maps.

3. So your saying since you dont play in industrial and modern age then my 7yr old could beat you or a hamster much less the AI in a modern age (WWII) scenario??

If my game ended after 200 turns I would want to throw the game away.
It doesnt get fun untill you get armored units.

Yes, i want my money back !

Definitions of fun seem to be different though. for me, fun is to win as early as possible. Also do i prefer early game over late game where you have to move and attack with 100's of units every turn. Pressing bombard 300 times each turn is not my definition of fun. (at the difficulty level where the game makes it to industrial age, it is required to fight with bombardment units, certainly when artillery is available)

PS: is your hamster chalenging me ?

Yes, I find the Industrial Age and modern Age rather boring, the beginning is the fun. Late in the game there's too much to manage, not to mention all the unit shuffling, not to mention waiting for the AI and watching its unit shuffling, etc.

Tomoyo said:
No. Hoover Dam comes too late. You want factories as soon as possible. Besides, you want a factory and coal plant to build the Hoover Dam, no?

I am sometimes able to do what LionQ does, as well. If you can get the ToE and use it for Atomic Theory and Electronics, you can get a Hoover Dam just as you're getting your first couple factories.

Of course, this assumes two fairly early prebuilds...

punkbass2000 said:
Why would that happen? IMO, Factories and Railroads are so important that you should grab Steam Power and Industrialization immediately, then beeline for SM and the ToE slingshot.

Steam Power, yes. Industrialization I only go directly for if I'm behind enough in tech that I know I have no shot at the ToE.

punkbass2000 said:
Why would that happen? IMO, Factories and Railroads are so important that you should grab Steam Power and Industrialization immediately, then beeline for SM and the ToE slingshot.
Since I often got a Civilization that's just as far as I, I always go underneath in the Industrial Times. First off to Sanitation and then all the way to Radio. When you come there, the AI will have researched the upper part of the Industrial Tech Tree. Swap technologies and you're almost in the Modern Times. :D

As soon as I possibly can!!!

Im not sure how much they speed up production but build a factory and everythings seems to half. Then build the Nuclear power plant and you can PUMP out anything you want!!!

...and nuke plants increase it by another 100%, making a city with a factory and a nuke plant produce 250% of it's original shield production! :eek:

Tomoyo said:
...and nuke plants increase it by another 100%, making a city with a factory and a nuke plant produce 250% of it's original shield production! :eek:
And you could add an additional Manufacturing Plant right? And with Hoover Dam, you can build a Solar Plant in addition to a Hydro Plant ánd you get a Hydro Plant in every city, not only the coastal ones.

Conlusion: you can boost your Shield output with staggering amounts late in the game. :D

mostly 2-3 for wonders or ss parts.

MikeH said:
My attitude is that if it takes less than 30 turns, the city definitely gets one, 30-40 turns it might get one, over 40 turns and it doesn't get one.

And exactly that's where the trade-off begins (for me): building a factory can block a productive city for too long. During those 20 turns I would need to build the factory, I could produce other stuff as well that in sum could give me the edge over opponents. a factory is a long term investment with unintended side effects and you have to find out if it's worthwhile in your game.

DOPS, probably (depends on playing style). :)

LionQ said:
And you could add an additional Manufacturing Plant right? And with Hoover Dam, you can build a Solar Plant in addition to a Hydro Plant ánd you get a Hydro Plant in every city, not only the coastal ones.

Conlusion: you can boost your Shield output with staggering amounts late in the game. :D

I'm sorry to dampen your gaming enthusiasm: Factories don't stack. Each time you build one in a city it replaces any others that are already there. The best you can do is Nuke Plant + Mfg Plant.

punkbass2000 said:
I'm sorry to dampen your gaming enthusiasm: Factories don't stack. Each time you build one in a city it replaces any others that are already there. The best you can do is Nuke Plant + Mfg Plant.
To build a NuclearP, you'll need a Factory. And with the Hoover Dam you'll get a Hydro Plant anywhere that does nót replace any other power plant in the city. Furthermore, I thought ManPlants don't replace any other power plant in the city.

Conclusion: with the Hoover Dam a city can have a Factory, a Hydro Plant, a Nuclear Plant and a Manufacturing Plant. However, the city needs to meet the specific requirements to build these City Improvements, meaning a city still needs fresh water to build a NPlant, for instance.

Top Bottom