Does AI ever wins anything but space or time victories?

alexti2

Prince
I'm curious if anybody has seen AI winning some victory type other than space or time. It seems that AI never try for cultural victory and if in the earlier stages of game it sort of tries to go for conquest and domination, it usually [meaning always] fails and then decided to go for space victory.

Considering that on harder levels AI researches quite fast, space victory is actually the only one I've seen AI win.

See all other threads about AI not playing to win, CIV being boring, yadda yadda yadda.

The AI needs a "bit" more tweaking to say the least.

the AI once beat me with a diplomatic win. it was a tiny map with only 2 AI civs. i was ahead in the space race and they tried to invade my continent but failed, then they just voted themselfs to victory :mad:

I had a game where the Inca scored a diplo victory. They were rather large and had two strong allies, which was enough to get the necessary votes.

you asked the wrong question. It's not a matter of the AI but of the game as a whole. Did you ever win conquest /domination without blatantly ignoring the possibility to win with another victory ? I noticed that a 4-6 cities max large civ is way richer and advanced than a huge civ. This means that with both space race and domination victory active, the latter will never be a viable option.
Also, the AI not playing to win ? Nah, disagree completely. Why don't you guys realize that the victory conditions are options that you can turn on and off ? Disable Space Race and Time which are absolutely lame victory conditions in Civ4, disable Diplo victory too and watch at how agressive and will be the AI (compared to before) in order to achieve victory.

I've changed those victory conditions and the AI doesn't act much differently than they did before.

I can't say I've seen the AI only go for time or space victories. Actually in most of my games the AI tends to go for diplomatic or cultural

Some of that might be related to the fact that I typically get stuck dealing with the Mongols, Aztecs, and Spanish - leaving everyone else free to pursue a life of religious consciousness and fulfillment.:sad:

On some small maps I've seen the AI make a credible attempt at an early conquest/domination victory, but I've never actually seen them succeed.

I just lost to Isabella who got a cultural victory. This was on a large map, noble, 9 civs, with a modded epic speed. I even upped the legendary culture from 75,000 to 90,000. How depressing it is too. We were both neck and neck in tech and had about 25 moves (give or take) left to get a Space Race victory. It really sucks because I tried to get a Diplomatic win for quite some time. I built the UN but then she ended up being general first and then all these lame civics got passed which hurt me a lot. Not to mention a few late-game wars broke out in which I had to constantly refuse to take sides so I could never get enough votes. What a bummer. If I had only gotten off to a better start in this game. :cry: IIRC, this is the first time I've ever lost anything but Space Race or Time.

Shivam said:
if the AI won conquest, would you even be around to notice? =)

This is a surprisingly good point.

If I feel my situation has become hopeless then I will resign and start a new game. Consequently, I've never hung around to be conquered (though I keep saying I will just to see the cut scene..). The same applies to domination - the only time I have ever lost a domination match is a duel size match and even then I didnt realise that the AI had that much of the map.

Yeah, it is a mod.

Shivam said:
if the AI won conquest, would you even be around to notice? =)
I suppose you could have the AI duke it out at ultra speed to see whether one of them would try a conquest or even just a domination victory.
But I've seen AI that tried to pull Diplomatic victory before. People said that AI only knows how to do certain victory, but what they really meant is that they can't do conquest or domination victories (I'll call them war victories below).
It is possible to predetermine certain AIs (at game creation) to lean towards war victories. The problem is once aggressive behaviour has been shown, it can be the case that no one else likes him, and end up getting a n-1 on 1 and wipe him out. I actually did a n-1 vs 1this to Tokugawa, which he actually didn't start a war. If we try to compensate for that, then the AI might end up doing nothing but trying to amass troops, not researching anything, and then they fall behind to other nations.
But at minimum, I do agree that they don't seem to be capable of pulling a war victory.

onedreamer said:
you asked the wrong question. It's not a matter of the AI but of the game as a whole. Did you ever win conquest /domination without blatantly ignoring the possibility to win with another victory ?
Of course! Typically, the domination is often the only possible victory on Deity, because you're racing against some remote AI that are building their spaceship.

onedreamer said:
I noticed that a 4-6 cities max large civ is way richer and advanced than a huge civ.
This means that with both space race and domination victory active, the latter will never be a viable option.
AI nation, maybe. But you'll never outreserach harder AI with 4-6 cities... So spaceship victory may be an option for AI, but not for you.

onedreamer said:
Also, the AI not playing to win ? Nah, disagree completely. Why don't you guys realize that the victory conditions are options that you can turn on and off ? Disable Space Race and Time which are absolutely lame victory conditions in Civ4, disable Diplo victory too and watch at how agressive and will be the AI (compared to before) in order to achieve victory.
Then you will just win by default. AI seems to be totally incapable to mount any offensive campaign of notice. So sooner or later you will conquer everybody (or get cultural victory). Actually, with space victory disabled, it's very easy to win cultural victory. Besides, after everything is researched, AI will lose its technological advantage, which will only make things easier.

Top Bottom