Does anyone actually use the adjacency-bonus policies?

I love them as Japan. If I had the Australia DLC I would probably run it a lot with them too, since gaining yields from tile appeal actually counts as an adjacency bonus.

Have designed a mod where science buildings give boosts to campus adjacencies rather than actual raw science. So for instance a Library adds +1 science for each adjacent flood plains or marsh tile. Had to reduce the policy to being +50% but even then you probably want to run it a high percentage of the time.

I often slot in the Campus adjacency doubler from Recorded History, it comes way earlier than the +100% from buildings card and I've seen it double my science output in games where I had lots of mountain Campuses. Merchant Republic onwards it becomes an "eh why not?" card, as you can slot 4 economic cards. The Holy Site one is also nice if you have one of the adjacency boosting Pantheons (like Dance of the Aurora, especially with Russia). I've even slotted in the Commercial hub one if I have lots of rivers. Overall they are really nice if you have lots of adjacency for the stuff they boost.

I rarely use the Industrial one since I rarely have more than one or two industrial sites. I don't see the point of more industrial sites since much of their value can be shared with other cities anyway.

Building IZ everywhere is good if you have a lot of envoys in production CSs and good IZ spots. 6 envoys in two CSs is 8 production in each city plus adjacency. Double the adjacency and you will be swimming in production.

If you have only a few IZ, the policy can still be useful if your adjacency is high enough to justify using it to benefit only a few cities. Even if you can't justify using it permanently, it still a good circumstantial policy for when you're trying to build a wonder a bit faster

I think the only time i used one was for holy sites as Russia (capital had a holy site surrounded by forest tundra for +9 with dance of the aurora.)

More Great Engineer points per turn
Just one or two cities with IZ sites working industrial projects will generate more than enough Great Engineer points.

it still a good circumstantial policy for when you're trying to build a wonder a bit faster
That's what chopping is for! :) (along with most other things). I really hope they nerf chopping in R&F. It just throws everything out of whack right now.

Recently played with Brazil in a jungle+mountain nearby terrain to get Campuses with +5 from adjacencies. Moreover, had the jungle pantheon to get some +9 adjacency Holy sites. Add these with Jesuit education and the 100% adjacency Holy site + Campus cards, I hit the 100 science per turn mark at turn 53 (Online speed).

I actually run the commercial adjacency more than the actual commercial buildings card since I don't build many markets and banks or harbor buildings besides the one for Big Ben. Usually just get them for trade routes, so it does serve as a decent filler card, especially when it is harbor+ commercial.

A lot of my random cities looks like this. These tend to benefit the most.

But this is more like not having interesting cards to put in.

And yes I screwed up and somehow took out the - upkeep for military units card somehow. I had too much $ to care anyways.

Last edited:
Haven't read the whole thread but I thought I'd say this incase no one had.

Ciy state envoy bonuses give their yield to districts as extra adjacency bonus. These get doubled by the +100% card. So an average campus with 2 mountains next to it, and 2 science city states with 6 envoys has an adjacency bonus of 10. That policy card would therefore give you +10 science per campus. That's more than the 3rd tier building, and doesn't require a ton of hammers in horsehockey cities.

So of course I use it.

If that's true, then that changes everything. I'll have to check on that.

And as for the pictures above, yeah Economic Union is pretty useful. I like that one since I either build one or the other in all my cities. I like the ones that affect 2 different districts (like 5 Year Plan), I feel like I'm getting more bang for my buck.

Ciy state envoy bonuses give their yield to districts as extra adjacency bonus. These get doubled by the +100% card. So an average campus with 2 mountains next to it, and 2 science city states with 6 envoys has an adjacency bonus of 10. That policy card would therefore give you +10 science per campus
Nope sorry, the card would give you +2

Here is a campus from my current game with Natural Philsophy slotted. The +1 for a mountain is doubled, thats it... if it was CS as well that would be a SUPER OP card
upload_2018-1-10_22-55-17.png

Oh, I didn't know commercial hubs had an adjacency for being next to harbors. Well then....

Oh, I didn't know commercial hubs had an adjacency for being next to harbors. Well then....

iirc, it works the other way too. Harbors get a bonus adjacency to adjacent Commercial Hubs. A City Center, Harbor, Commercial Hub triangle is rather a rather good source of gold.

iirc, it works the other way too. Harbors get a bonus adjacency to adjacent Commercial Hubs. A City Center, Harbor, Commercial Hub triangle is rather a rather good source of gold.

Hubs get +2 from harbors, harbors get +2 from city centers.

I use adjacency all the time. Usually gold. Faith I'd get more from buildings. Industrial or theaters I never need it. Science once in a great while.

I still spam IZs. Every city gets an IZ, commercial, and harbor. Most get a holy site. I find theaters and campuses are really overrated. Maybe to get that +20 healing great scientist, but he's a luxury.

People seem to forget that the IZ is production that doesn't require citizens, until you start dropping neighborhoods, and then you can slot in it for more production. And if you get the great engineer, and double splash him like you should, the bonus +4 doesn't apply to the aoe. So workshop + factory is +6 production over what you would have had even if another factory covered the city. + Any adjacencies.

Same with holy sites. You can have a tile yielding 8 food that's not being worked.

Combine those two zones, those are pretty substantial boosts to any city, that don't require citizens.

I'm currently playing a game as Russian so I got a tundra start. I got the +1:c5faith: for each adjacent tundra pantheon which lead to a couple of my cities getting +8:c5faith: adjacency bonus for my holy sites. Got the adjacency bonus policy for holy sites, decided to go for a religious victory , and started pumping out apostles like crazy and converting the world :jesus::satan::assimilate:

I'm currently playing a game as Russian so I got a tundra start. I got the +1:c5faith: for each adjacent tundra pantheon which lead to a couple of my cities getting +8:c5faith: adjacency bonus for my holy sites. Got the adjacency bonus policy for holy sites, decided to go for a religious victory , and started pumping out apostles like crazy and converting the world :jesus::satan::assimilate:

I had an awesome game like that too. Grab the discounted Religious Units tennets and you can pretty much pump out an Apostle every couple turns.

It would be nice if the game could sum up what the net gain of taking a particular card would be. That sort of thing is why we have computers.

Top Bottom