1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Does research overflow?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Bunion, Nov 22, 2005.

1. Bunion

Bunion Chieftain

I was wondering does research overflow from one tech to the next? For example say I am making 100 beakers of research a turn and I only need 50 more beakers to research a tech, do those remainding 50 beakers go to waste or do the go to the next tech?

The reason I am wondering this is if they don't overflow to the next tech, it would be to your benefit to play around with the research slider a good bid. If you can research something in the same amount of turns at 80% as you can at 100% you would be better off going to 80% and getting the extra money for those turns.

This comes in play a lot when you only have a few turns left to research something or near the end of the game when you are researching a new tech every 3 or 4 turns. Is this a worthwhile strategy?

2. Beamup

Beamup Higgs boson

Yes, they overflow. Tinkering with the slider to avoid wasting beakers is no longer useful.

3. Batvanio

Batvanio Chieftain

definitely they do overflow
    also something I have noticed: in the start if you forget to choose a tech and then click next turn - you dont lose that tech turn, you just have it stored and every tech you chose will start with one turn less.
    In civ 3 you forget and then you lose 1 tech turn. Hapily not this way anymore

4. Rhymes

Rhymes Drive 4 25 is back

Thats why I could have won space race way earlier if I had known that....

5. al_thor

al_thor Prince

Sometimes it is nice to "throttle back" when 1 turn away in order to make some cash for those overly-expensive upgrades. So I do it once in a while, but on the whole, I just leave it jacked.

6. Astax

Astax Prince

Yes there is an overflow but there is also a bug with the overflow :/ It will be addressed in the patch.