1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Does the AI bother to declare war?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by krozman, Jul 10, 2013.

1. krozman

krozman Chieftain

I've played a total of two Shoshone games now, about 8 hours of playtime each. In both games (Emperor difficulty) no wars were declared until well after turn 135. In my second game, I was put right next to Alexander and he never declared on me....EVER. The entire world was one peaceful happy place for me to coast to a cultural victory or declare on others at my leisure. That never happened in any pre BNW game. My build orders, at least so far, may not include any military units until after turn 100 now.

Another problem with the AI seems to be with their military. Before they always had a fairly large force, and now many leaders don't even upgrade their troops. I popped 6 Foreign Legion in the Freedom Tree, and marched them straight to Mongolia.....still sporting catapults and spearman....and he wasn't that far behind in tech.

Anyone else observe this or outlier?

2. EEE_BOY

EEE_BOY Deity

Then you should move up difficulty level.

3. MonorailCat

MonorailCat Chieftain

Noticed the same. Less early Gold for AI means less army which leads to less early war.
    The first 100 Turns are really peaceful most of the time now it seems.

4. wetroofwoof

wetroofwoof Chieftain

I played two games to the middle of the renaissance era on the level below deity. on standard map pangea. no DOW's. but I played with all the new civs so perhaps most of these personalities are not the war type. I did have spys saying x was going to DOW y but guess I didn't play long enough. when I played G&K on deity at least by turn 50 someone has DOWed someone else I remember.

5. I_qua_I

I_qua_I Prince

I also noticed this. I've been playing on Prince. I've played 3 games though haven't finished one yet. (I'm trying out the new stuff.) I got up to industrial in my last one and there wasn't a single war the whole game between any civs. The only war in any of the games I played that I know of was one I started early on as Assyria so that I can try out their UA.

6. Securion

Securion Civ Veteran

Ive only seen three streams on Prince, King and Emperor level, but there were constant war in all three of those.
    I guess it depends on playstyle.

7. stargunner

stargunner Chieftain

i don't see anything wrong with this. having the sporadic AI DoW you all the time early game was so tiresome. they are more rational now.

8. NwabudikeMorgan

NwabudikeMorgan CEO

My first game (Emperor, Continents, Standard) Japan DoW'd me with archers and pikes, then later got DoW'd by india and denmark. The other continent was russia, ottomans, Inca, and they were at war pretty much constantly from the renaissance onward. Inca eventually stomped out ottomans. But there was no classic archer/warrior push or even archer/spear. So early game peace sure, but there was war to be had still.

9. azhskr

azhskr Chieftain

My game (Poland, King, Small Continents, all new Civs minus Zulu) was very quiet up until the middle of the rennaisance. There were no wars or denouncements of any kind up until then. For the rest of the game though someone was always at war with someone else, or in Portugal's case trying to fight the entire world for some reason.

10. pilot00

pilot00 King

Actually I believe they are programmed to be more docile, given the fact that economy is a bit more troublesome to get stabilized.

11. MantaRevan

MantaRevan Emperor

At least they messed with the whole boldness thing. It was infuriating to hear and AI say "welp the odds might not be with me, but I'm going to attack you anyway", as if they knew beforehand that they were getting themselves killed.

12. Suicidekills

Suicidekills Chieftain

Well I'm about turn 160 in my immortal game, and the first denouncement just occurred which is probably because japan has been fighting city-states the whole time for some reason which has also been the only warring going on so far.

13. Helmling

Helmling Philosopher King

I noticed that I was gliding under the radar myself (probably because my score was none too intimidating and I had trade routes with both my closest neighbors, but I actually saw a lot of combat happening on the continent--including some CS sacks.

14. pilot00

pilot00 King

I am assuming that military strength and trade relations matter a bit more now. As well disposition.

15. Ulthwithian

Ulthwithian King

In regards to the upgrading thing, it may be because the AI doesn't have the money to upgrade their units...

I know I had that problem.... ;)

16. andrew00100

andrew00100 Chieftain

In my games the world was peaceful until i declared war to one of the AIs then everybody started to hate me.:p
    I do not care about how other civs think and G&K as diplomacy is just broken but what is there a way to go warmogging without pissing off the whole world?

17. pilot00

pilot00 King

Conquering them :p

18. Liegence

Liegence Warlord

Noticed the same... AI aggressiveness is down at least Emperor and below. Perhaps they can't afford to field an army? Early economy can get brutal fast.

19. kingchris20

kingchris20 Wisdom Seeker

Resident of Heaven; Currently in the Waiting Room
    I've played on prince standard continents, and pre-100 Greece and France teamed up on Assyria and France took their capital, then later after the WC was founded, I saw that Indonesia had taken Brazil out, and Portugal and Venice were DoWing

Nobody on me though, but I had to build a sizable army just to keep the barbs at bay!

20. Liegence

Liegence Warlord

They'll get over it eventually unless you continue to DoW. Some civs are more tolerant of it than others. Some will love you if u attack their enemies.