1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Does the AI bother to declare war?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by krozman, Jul 10, 2013.

1. BShaftoe

BShaftoe Chieftain

Must be some of kind of an elixir that causes that type of a response from an AI. :crazyeye:

2. Polisurgist

Polisurgist King

3. pilot00

pilot00 King

Well, they are attacking each other but not the player most of the time. Even if they covet your lands and the wonders you build.

4. GhostSalsa

GhostSalsa Emperor

I never complained about the previous constant AI-aggressiveness. Playing under the threat of super-powered AI invasions was by and far the main thrill of this game for me. Where is my dear friend Siam now? Where are his elephants, who so joyfully mangled my pikemen into bits? No more tension. No more blood. No more elephants' roar as they topple over. This is a travesty. BNW is not CiV.

5. SamBC

SamBC Emperor

Ah, I see, we've just switched which portion of the player base is moaning...

6. Buccaneer

Buccaneer Deity

:lol: I remember very early in a vanilla game, I had Siam attack me with those Elephants. I really didn't like how they simply swiped my units away. I have since learned how to deal with them, if they come again.

7. GhostSalsa

GhostSalsa Emperor

Exactly, the Vanilla elephant rush is a distinct experience. You worry about your whole empire falling to three units. Amazing. Less so after G&K.

8. Gucumatz

Gucumatz JS, secretly Rod Serling

I have been in constant war in my Immortal singleplayer games. And don't get me started on Multiplayer, the gold restrictions don't stop things thaaat much :p

9. ptoss1

ptoss1 King

Ya pretty much. Personally there's just too many barbarians for me to even go to war sometimes. Trade routes are really unreliable.

10. Polisurgist

Polisurgist King

This makes sense to me.

I have definitely noticed civs being less likely to go to war, but I figure that's an intentional gameplay move. If the "typical" game now has everyone more concerned with barbarians at their borders early on and later graduating to taking on other civs, that would make sense.

But I think it may actually be a slightly smarter AI who's reluctant to get either too friendly or too aggressive (both of which seem to be true).

11. pilot00

pilot00 King

I wouldn't call it smarter I would call it coded to be honest.

Montezuma and Assyria (warmongers by default no?) and I in the middle with no army till turn 100. No DoWs.

12. Nickel_lion

Nickel_lion Warlord

Seriously, why is everybody complaining about the lack of aggressiveness early in the game? I think it's ok. It let you concentrate in other things and not in controlling a crazy warmongering civ... Want a war? START IT!!!

I agree with this guy:

What's the problem with that? I think the game becomes then MORE DYNAMIC and FUN!!

AND PLEASE, PAY ATTENTION TO THIS!!

13. gunnergoz

gunnergoz Cat Herder

Playing on King and into the modern era, I have twice been at war and did not even know it until the enemy surrendered to me (I had many defensive agreement allies who apparently did all the fighting far from my borders.) Do they not show the DOW screen any longer? Or is this because I'm in a defensive agreement so I don't get the DOW screen when war starts? You'd think I'd get some notice...

14. fliddermang

fliddermang Chieftain

i got DOWed after about 80 turns on my first BNW game, prince difficulty.

15. pilot00

pilot00 King

Its not a lack of aggressiveness its a lack of tacking rational action with a combination of docile programming.

Negatives accumulated in 5 Immortal games (tried them as an experiment): Denouncement, Ignoring their demands not to settle near them, coveting my lands, Ignoring them not to spread my religion, Coveting wonders.

I had three cities and not a single scout, Monty had an army composing of Jaguars, comps and catapults within marching distance, he did nothing. Montezuma was always a crazy warmongering CiV.

In the second game he continued to ignore me but DoWed Assyria who had an extensive army.

The problem as I see it through 5 trial and errors, is that the AI is programmed to leave the player alone for a fluctuating number of turns. THAT IS THE PROBLEM.

Starting a war right now is more easier than ever once the economy is up and running. If you DoF the civs you want to have as trading partners they always look the other way.

16. Polisurgist

Polisurgist King

To all the people complaining about lack of DoWs from the AI: are you winning games you might have been losing before as a result, or are you breaking even or doing worse?

Because it seems to me that this is the result of a strategic play on the AI's part and further, that it's a strategy that's highly sensitive to consensus. If wars aren't happening much, you gain a lot more by trade, and if wars are happening, you have fewer trade opportunities even if you're not the one at war. Game theory-wise, this should lead even warmongery AIs toward peace in the early game, at least until war breaks out, in which case you're probably going to be looking at a world war that will last a really long time.

That, at least would explain the wildly different levels of aggression people are seeing, especially in a limited sample size where none of us has been playing the game for more than a couple weeks.

17. Dark_Jedi06

Dark_Jedi06 "Deus ex Machina."

When everyone is clumped together and the AI has more opportunities for different trade routes, it seems like conflict is more prevalent. However, if they only have one neighbor they seem more likely to pursue peace to maintain their trade routes.

Seems to make sense to me.

18. pilot00

pilot00 King

The problem is not what it does in correlation to other AIs (thats business as usual), but in correlation to the player. That is the 'problem'.

19. Matthew.

Matthew. Deity

Last game had a dual DoW on me at about turn 80. A third DoW around 6 or 7 turns after that. Only Emperor difficulty. AI still sucks at tactical combat--regular archers, not composites, held it off just fine.

Although I was playing a wider game and already had 6 cities. Sitting on something like 3 would probably keep you out of wars for quite a while.

20. Timally

Timally Chieftain

I was playing last night. Just messing thinking of a cultural victory on a low level..Prince maybe. I had a couple scouts a warrior and a bowman. Dido decced me and turned up with 6 warriors, four archers and a GG. My game was over by turn 62

I know I'm terrible