1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Does the AI bother to declare war?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by krozman, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Svest

Svest Chieftain

In my one game so far (immortal) my continent has been very peaceful. Though I think that the geography and distance between civs contributed to this. However, on the other continent there was a ton of war. Before turn 100 Bismark and Atilla had each taken another civ's capitol. Then a bit later Darius came along and liberated Mecca from Atilla.

2. omnishakira

omnishakira Warlord

the AI is so passive now wtf

i want the old AI this one suck

3. Polisurgist

Polisurgist King

I don't care what other civs think, but how do I make them like me while I'm killing them. Diplomacy is broken because it hurts my feelings.

4. Ghostdeini

Ghostdeini Chieftain

I didn't have this issue on my first playthrough as the Shoshone. I was stuck in the middle between Ashurbanipal and Askia, and both of them settled their second city right next to my capital. Surprising no one, Ash spammed siege towers and came right for me. That Shoshone bonus for units fighting within their own borders, however, proved to be a sticky wicket for the Assyrians.

5. tedoll78

tedoll78 aka 'HylianTom' :)

I played a portion of an emperor game last night, had Greece, the Huns, and Assyria as my neighbors, and kept the game to a one-city challenge. It was a test game to see how things work in BNW.

I'm glad that this topic came up, because one troubling thing that jumped out at me was how very docile the AI was. Usually you'd see a few civs go from "neutral" to "guarded" pretty early on, given that they covet your land or some other reason.. but it took quite a while for them to change from neutral to any other status. They were kitty cats, for the most part, when in most of my prior games they were hostile or at least untrustworthy. And for most of the game, I had an archer roaming around the map and a catapult stationed at home.

I kept waiting for the shoe to drop, but it never did..

6. Stove

Stove Chieftain

So far on my first Prince game, Brazil (who really hates warmongers) declared war on me twice. The first time they temporarily took two cities and the second time they wouldn't make peace for about 100 turns (not an exaggeration). Now, Arabia and Carthage (with almost no negative penalties except world congress things) have both declared war on me and taken two cities so far. Also, Shaka ripped through Japan on another continent. So to answer your question, yes they still declare war.

7. Law Lord

Law Lord Chieftain

I think lots of people are noticing that the odds of maintaining peace in the early game have gone way up. It's probably tied to having less gold in the early game now, and the AI is putting its limited resources into improving its economy before going to war. It could also be that they toned down AI aggressiveness generally, or changed diplo modifiers so that there are less things you can do to truly piss off the AI.

It's probably a combination of all three of these things that is causing a lot less early warfare.

8. Stove

Stove Chieftain

I think it may be that the AI needs more of a reason to DoW now

9. omnishakira

omnishakira Warlord

Can you at least have an option before the game in the settings ''Agressive AI''

I took shaka on diety and i just stomp them one after another while they all wait doing nothing

10. Buccaneer

Buccaneer Deity

I guess firaxis can't win either way. First, people whine about mean AI declaring war on you and now that they become more docile, people still complain. Civ is a war game and there should always be wars somewhere, not necessary involving you. There is nothing worse than passive opponents that are not playing aggressive to win (any victories).

11. Stove

Stove Chieftain

I was just thinking this. People complained so much about how over aggressive the AI was, and now people are complaining that it is not aggressive enough

12. omnishakira

omnishakira Warlord

before noobs were whining cuz they were losing
    now ppl that were happy to play an AI that actually do something are now whining
    Moderator Action: Not so rude please.

13. Law Lord

Law Lord Chieftain

I think they are playing to win, but if a lot of them decide on a cultural victory path early on, then the game gets very passive. I just won a diplomacy victory where three of them were clearly going science, India was going cultural, and a couple of domination civs got beaten back. I think the AI was working fine in that game, even though there wasn't a ton of warmongering going on.

I agree that the complaining never ends. Personally I'm enjoying not being DoWed within the first 100 turns. If it happens every single game, then yeah maybe there is a need for slight adjustment. But good lord, people have done nothing but complain about the AI unpredictability and aggressiveness, and now that they have some measure of predictability and are more peaceful, it's not good enough. Talk about moving the goal posts.

14. andrew00100

andrew00100 Chieftain

I DoW on the mayans at T105 then the world denounce me till i scored victory. Only Askia was nice to me cos i didn5 met him till T200+

15. Buccaneer

Buccaneer Deity

I am curious, how close were three science civs and India close to victory? Did any of them do anything to slow you down, not only attacking but going offensive on tourism or trying to take your delegates?

16. omnishakira

omnishakira Warlord

im gonna play for 3-4 days and if the AI is always this passive im gonna uninstall BNW and play G&K until they patch it.

17. Yzman

Yzman Deity

The Huns had nearly cleared out their continent of Austria and Brazil by the time I met them in my first game on prince.

It just depends on the AI and the rng you rolled for their behavior that game.

18. Buccaneer

Buccaneer Deity

On Deity?

19. Civilmyzation

Civilmyzation Chieftain

yeah the barbs are sort of ridiculous. I don't have raging on, and I basically need a darn army to fight them off. can't send a scout alone anymore because they attack them and will leave a camp all alone and go 2 spaces to attack you. bleh.

the AI not declaring war as much, and making this less about "you WILL go to war if you have close borders" is a GOOD thing imo

20. Gali

Gali Prince

Civs weren't passive in my game. Sweden absorbed Maria and The Assyrians were chewing up the Mayans. The Arabs had managed to eat a large chunk of China too. I have noticed the AI being less aggressive but they still do war.