Does the AI know if a victory condition is turned off?

Darth Phrogg

Chieftain
Apologies if this has been discussed already. I'm not very familiar with this forum yet.

I want to play a game, no-holds-barred, with domination as the only VC. If I do, will the AI know they they have to beef up and fight wars to win? Or will Spain still try to conquer though religion and India get screwed?

What about the other VCs? If toggled off, can the AI adjust to play a winning game?

They'll still mass produce religious units with the Religious victory disabled. So I guess the answer to your topic question is no.

You can of course select the most bloodthirsty AI's for your game (Germany, Sparta, Scythia, etc) and play on a Pangaea map. You'll probably get a lot of fighting even though they don't understand victory conditions being turned off.

The answer is no.

You can of course select the most bloodthirsty AI's for your game (Germany, Sparta, Scythia, etc) and play on a Pangaea map. You'll probably get a lot of fighting even though they don't understand victory conditions being turned off.

To add to this, by the way, you could also cram a too-large amount of civilizations on a small map size. For example, six on tiny instead of the usual four.

The sad thing is, that in pre-release videos, there are indication that it once did.
If the player had good diplomatic visibility (open or even secret), she/he got notifications like "Saladin decided to pursue a religious victory" or "Teddy Roosevelt is no longer pursuing a scientific victory". This makes room for lots of speculation what was planned with the AI before release. I don't think that the AI would pursue a religious victory and you can even see that as a notification if it was turned off. But, well, we all know how it is now.

Regardless what the AI know or not, to spread your religion will always be good, to get artefacts and great work is never a bad thing, whether you pursuit a religious or cultural victory or not.

The sad thing is, that in pre-release videos, there are indication that it once did.
If the player had good diplomatic visibility (open or even secret), she/he got notifications like "Saladin decided to pursue a religious victory" or "Teddy Roosevelt is no longer pursuing a scientific victory". This makes room for lots of speculation what was planned with the AI before release. I don't think that the AI would pursue a religious victory and you can even see that as a notification if it was turned off. But, well, we all know how it is now.

This is still in the game, I've gotten messages about 'such-and-such is now pursuing a science victory' and so on. What it actually means in gameplay terms is debatable, for instance, in my most recent game I saw 'Victoria is now pursuing a culture victory' only for her to go off and start conquering her neighbours. It's possible she was doing this to loot great works, but that might be giving the AI a bit too much credit.

This is still in the game, I've gotten messages about 'such-and-such is now pursuing a science victory' and so on. What it actually means in gameplay terms is debatable, for instance, in my most recent game I saw 'Victoria is now pursuing a culture victory' only for her to go off and start conquering her neighbours. It's possible she was doing this to loot great works, but that might be giving the AI a bit too much credit.
Ah, thanks for the info. I've probably ignored it (as I ignore most of the diplomatic notifications), but remembered it from somewhere some time ago and thought it was pre-release.
Some AIs seem to follow some victory agenda sometimes though. During the course of a game, it seems clear which AI is going for religious victory and which is going for science victory at least. Not that they would automatically be good at it. And some AIs seem to do nothing concerning winning the game.

Top Bottom