Does your favorite faction's ideology match your own

Does your favorite faction's ideology match your own?

• Yes. I like to play the good guy

Votes: 54 56.3%
  • No. I like to be the most evil human on Planet

Votes: 11 11.5%
  • No. I just go pick at random

Votes: 9 9.4%
  • No. Gee, It just a game! I go for the faction with best advantages!

Votes: 22 22.9%

• Total voters
Your post kinda made me curious, Jack.

What "nazi" feel does Miriam have?

Why do you think the Gaians feels like hippies?

And what's wrong with the UN?

I normally play SMAC as the University, who I have rather close ideological beliefs with. However, I don't agree with their lack of ethics, that's the only problem I have.

I do play similar ideological factions when I play SMAC... it just makes me feel that much more immersed in the game, I guess. The group that is most like you, that you can identify most with, makes you feel like you're actually in charge of the fate of Planet.

I like the Cybernetics second most because of my weird fascination with a hybrid of technology and humanity. Granted, then I lose the sense of individuality within their personal idea of collective consciousness, but it is still rather interesting when you imagine what these individual factions think.

On a separate note,

I think the issue Jack feels with Miriam, just like I do, is that she seems to be forcing the issue that because she follows her religion, she is immediately better than anyone else. I mean, it's not like there aren't feelings like that all throughout the cast of SMAC, but they come through strongest in Miriam's personality. This comes off especially strong with those of us who have personally experienced people trying to shove their specific religion down other people's throats.

In case you can't tell, I detest Miriam the most... she's probably the least like me ideologically. Even the Spartans are closer to me than she is. ^^;;

I don't really play according to my idealogies.. if I even have any. One of the things that attracted me to SMAC, gameplay aside, was the strong emphasis on political and social idealogy as represented by the various faction leaders.
The Morgans I don't find to be particularly interesting, great to play as though.
The Believers I find to be quite interesting... the idea of a fundamentalist christian society on an alien planet is quite imaginative to say the least.
Can't say I find much interest with the U.N. but as with Morgan, they're great to play as.
The University seems to be the faction most people here identify with, along with the Gaians. Of the two I'd say the Gaians are the more interesting. Society built around the principles of sustainability and effiency make sense to me. Scientific research is a priority of paramount importance now and in the future but I tend to think that science is the means to a better society.. not society being the means to better science. I could be wrong with that one.
I love the Spartans. The cultivation of physical and mental discipline in a society newly borne on an alien planet would be invaluable.
Although I disagree on the most part with them, The Hive is the faction I find to be the most fascinating. The ideas behind this faction have many parallels with '1984' by George Orwell. It seems to me that the Yang's society is one that consists of a brutally oppressed populace that are subjected to and forced to accept a very distorted version of reality. That is to say, the only reality that exists in the minds of The Hive is the reality as percieved subjectively. Objective reality only really exists within the limitations by widespread propaganda.
Oh! And.. blah blah blah :)

I play as either one of my created factions (I have BattleTech Clan and Inner-Sphere factions and a faction that is like Morgan only useful) or one of the following: Svensgaard, Yang, Lal, Santiago, Aki Zeta-5, Miriam or the Cultist (whose name I can't think of). I prefer the fast, early, overwhelming attack styles that Spartan, Hive, Believing and to a certian extent Cultists can pull off, I play my best games as the Pirates, and Aki, but Lal and Deirdre I do well with aswell. Lal is the only one I play timidly with, Cult and Gaian wind worm armies can be devestating, going around with supior weapons as Aki, Yang or Santiago work well, and overwhelming the enemy with large numbers of inferior troops is always fun as Miriam and sometimes Yang. I don't play as the aliens, the Data Angles, or the free drones, and i prefer Cult of Gaians, and I don't play as the University now that Aki is available, although the free nodes was awsome for the early game+alien artifacts.

I agree that Miriam, and to some extent Santiago seem to push their vision on the player more then some of the others, althought I think Yang is guility of the same thing. The University seems to hold the others in contempt, and I think it is hard to decern what Lal's agenda is, and to what lengths the Gaians will go. I for one love the Social Engineering aspect, the choices of general government, priority, economy and future ideal seem very interesting, and I always talk with my brother and my friends on what other things could be added, whether more options to the existing categories, or adding another section, like foriegn policy(IE: Isolationist, Aggressive, Cooperative.) I do not Engineer on my ideals, I do what I think is best for that faction, at that particular time and situation, and I for one love making "vassals" of the leser factions, leaving them with a handful of bad cities and just feeding my beast with the added commerce from the pact. :goodjob:

Hive, because I am Yang.

Hive, because that is how I would do things. I like to be in control, assuming i'm in control.

Hive, they are the most likely to win on Planet. I'll rather be a drone than wormfood.

Hive, whats wrong with a police state anyway? I was born in one and lived a large part of my life in one. Smells like home.......

Actually it does. I'd go with anther faction if it had more advantages, but the Peacekeepers have the most advantages in that they have virtually no disadvantages--the only one (-1 effic, for those of you who haven't memorized it) is completely rediculous. (my main strat is powerful economy, industry, and research combined, and the advantage of the Peacekeepers--extra talents--gives me the stability I need to build base infrastructure without drone riots interrupting me. I also like the University, for a challenge.

How ANYONE can align themselves with the Believers' philosophy in this day and age is beyond me. I totally agree with those previous to me who find them weird. I also find them terribly difficult to play as, due to my continual inexperience with probe teams.

I play as all factions, as variety is the spice of life.

However, if I was to align myself with a faction, it would be either the Morganites (I'm a capitalist at heart), or the University, coz I go to a good one (Yay Durham!).

Morgan all the way. Mostly to piss off my friend, 'cos it's the weakest faction.
In real life, probably Uni is what i agree with most.

Shaihulud said:
Hive, because I am Yang.

Hive, because that is how I would do things. I like to be in control, assuming i'm in control.

Hive, they are the most likely to win on Planet. I'll rather be a drone than wormfood.

Hive, whats wrong with a police state anyway? I was born in one and lived a large part of my life in one. Smells like home.......

I never knew that sandworms had names...

For some reason, I always do fantastically well with the Spartans. Their ideology doesn't really appeal to me all that much, though.

Lockesdonkey said:
Actually it does. I'd go with anther faction if it had more advantages, but the Peacekeepers have the most advantages in that they have virtually no disadvantages--the only one (-1 effic, for those of you who haven't memorized it) is completely rediculous. (my main strat is powerful economy, industry, and research combined, and the advantage of the Peacekeepers--extra talents--gives me the stability I need to build base infrastructure without drone riots interrupting me. I also like the University, for a challenge.

The University is not a challenge. The tech bonus they enjoy gives them massive advantages in every conceivable game situation.

Spartans I always play their morale bonus is great.But University has the great ideology i think

i have played (and won) woth all the factions except the Believers. the research penalty is too big, i enjoy having a fast research. i usually end up destroying them if they are in the game.

otherwise my favorites are: morgan, university, gaia and the hive.

morgan cause i love all the money you get! univesity because of... DUH! the research bonus! Gaia because you get so many free units (mind worms), and finally the Hive because they are so utterly evil mwahahaha.

from personal ideology i agree mostly with the peacekeepers, morgan and university.

Yeah I loath those believers they try and intimidate you into the most worthless style of government and like to use nerve gas

Top Bottom