Doing something wrong?

Lostman

Thread Killer
So I've played my fair share of games. By the time I get to the year 2k I'm replacable parts and am broke. I dont' get it. have my science set at 80%, my towns grow large, I automate all my workers and have the governers control the people's mood. But I control production.

What the hell am I doing wrong? I build everything in every city to make them larger. When it's time to build an Aquaduct, I build one in every city. Is that what I'm doing wrong? Should I just have a couple - 5 big cities with all the fixings and have the rest fo them keep at a small level? I play Persia most of the time (lately), Seems to have a good balance.

Problem is I'm always broke, My armies are small, and I'm usually right behind everybody else in the Tech factor.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

if you are on lower difficulties the techs are slow anyway

but it could be that you dont have enough cities
i get bye by trading with everyone else that way i et loads og gpt to either reaserch techs with which i can then sell to them again for more gpt or i can leave and end up having a big treasury

Tech development is horribly slow below Regent. Regent seems to be my happy place, but it can actually be a bit too fast. Spaceship launches in the 17-1800s are a little crazy.

My first game I played the lowest level, and I never got to nuclear weapons or spaceship building before the game ended in 2050....and I was far ahead of the AI at that point.

Dude, im right htere with ya, 99% of my games on Warlord, my setting for now, end in the year 2050 witha loss and i'm still in the Industrial era losing my mind as to how the AI ALWAYS out-techs me regardless of my research rate or how much i trade with them, i usually have the upper hand in ANcient times but the farther time progresses the more i get left behind. I odn't have problems with my military, i'm often teh extinguisher of entire Civilizations. Well, sometimes, then everyone out-techs me and i can't fight well, heh heh. I've tried cutting back on warmongering but they STILL out-tech me! It's freakin' ridiculous! So you aren't the only one dude, we need help Civ experts!

Ways to rush the tec tree...
- optimal number of cities (few - no science input; many - high corruption), according to map size...
- big cities (metropolies: +12 at least)
- science at ~80%
- some tecs xchange with other CIVs
- some tecs from huts
- libraries and universities ASAP
- not chieftain difficulty level... (Warlord still difficult to reach all before 2050)
- some good wonders (more happy people or science output, in this case)
- Not too many wars, that take your focus away
- Some game experience

Go for it !!!!!

what a heck are you doing to manage being industrial age in 2050? look at me, warlord with computers 1700 or earlier. do you just build fivee cities and excpect that to be enough?

First of all, stick with Persia. They are scientific which means, of course they get a freebie every age. Have you tried getting the Great Library?(refer to many other threads for details on how to use to your advantage) How about concentrating on Scientific Improvements such as libraries and Universities which increase your science output. Since your CIV is scientific, use that to your advantage since scientific improvements are half price. Also to get another little boost, win a battle with your Immortals to trigger a Golden Age. It's easy early on. They are slow but strong. Always take advantage of CIV-specific ablities.

Actually i had a lot of cities on a small map, not 5, im not THAT bad. Gimme a break. Anyway, i started a new Warlord game today its around 100 AD and i'm doing MUCH better techwise, i'm kepping out in front mostly. I think my success this time is having to do mostly with not building an excess of city improvements, all my previous game i've built almost everything in almost every city, and i think it was slowing me down. Thanks for the input guys.

I build everything in every city (except in war time), and am usually out in front. I think it's just experience that makes the difference.

Originally posted by Dynamic Cow
what a heck are you doing to manage being industrial age in 2050? look at me, warlord with computers 1700 or earlier. do you just build fivee cities and excpect that to be enough?

Don't believe I've said that. I'm building 20+ cities on small map.

Originally posted by bobgote
I build everything in every city (except in war time), and am usually out in front. I think it's just experience that makes the difference.

No offence, but your an idiot. What the hell kind of an answer is that? "I think it's just experience that makes the difference". That kernal of knowledge will help millions of people to come.

You can play the game for years and still not do it right. If your going to post something, post something that will help your fellow players.

As for being broke, don't forget that all those improvements have upkeep costs! Don't build it if you don't need it.

Also, be a map whore! Every AI civ will cough up some coins for your map, as long as there is something new on it for them to value.

Sell any tech for which you can get a reasonable price. If you can get a gold per turn deal, take it. The AI will discover it soon enough anyway, you might as well drain their coffers.

If each AI buys your updated map every turn, and you keep them broke by selling tech early, they enter a cycle - they have no gold to buy from other AIs; their map shows nothing new, so that won't be used to buy things either. After a while, they will depend on you to supply them with what they need.

Hey lostman: shut up!
I think it's a useful comment in that it says that other people have been in the same situation, but that just by playing again and again, the problem becomes solved. It's not that you're doing something wrong, it's just that it's something you get better at over time, ok? get off my back!! (BTW I decided to take offense at the "your an idiot" jibe :D dunno if u noticed)

it is experience that makes the difference say if it was your first game you might not use artillery because they had no attack power
next game you use a bit and see it helps a lot
next game you builf hundreds of them and you find that they are one of the most useful things in the game because they lower the hitpoints down alowing your units to kill them
so it might just be that hes inexpereienced

I played last night as Greece. Not a full game, but a couple hours. I kept the science down to nothing after I made contact with 2 civ's. The cash level was higher, which was good. I only built grainery's (missed out on Pyramids because I was building Settlers) and few other things in cities. Didn't go that bad.

I think my big problem was building everything in every city. That and I'd go to war right off the bat to clear out the closest civ. That ruined my rep for many years.

Minor points you've probably already noticed but deserve mention again....

Be in a Republic or a Democracy for the trade bonus.
Make sure every square being worked has a road.
A good Forbidden Palace location is IMPERATIVE for dealing with corruption.
Any city with corruption between 50% and 90% should get a courthouse when it's manageable.

There's no ONE magic cure (if there were, the game would be boring, IMHO) but there are lots of little tricks you can play to make things work better.

HTH,
Arathorn

also read some of arathorn sullas and lkendter's (think thats how you spell it) sg's for more tips
or the war academy

edit-spelling

With time, experience comes. But some people will never see some things, neither in a 1000-year-life.
So, experience is good, but too vage...

Lostman, a war is never bad, if you gained precious territory... just give them 1 gold some times... :) ...and don't build everything in a city. Don't even a temple (see in a thread close to this how to win without them...)

Well, here's my thoughts on advancing to the modern era on Chieftain (and warlord).:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24551

Additional comments. If there are rivers nearby build on the rivers. You get a commerce bonus and no need to build an aqueduct. A good time to build aqueducts if they will be needed is when they get to size 4-6, so the aqueduct is complete before the city could grow to size 7. Of course, only if you have enough happiness to support a size 7 city. Courthouses help with corruption.

Top Bottom