Domination Policy Strategies?

Chemical Toilet

Chieftain
So I've been trying to play domination games, but for some reason I can't manage to get off my feet. What policies do you guys take?

I've tried taking Honor right off the bat, but after I destroy the near bar camps it's not much use, and even if I take 4 archers and 4 spearmen to the nearest city, once it's captured I'm suffering from the lack of infrastructure both in my own cities and the captured ones.

I've tried finishing tradition and then doing honor, but I'm used to taking aesthetics as a second tree, and noticed that I'm not generating nearly enough culture to pick policies often enough.

Is warmongering right off the bat even worth it on standard and large maps? How do you guys do it? Is it worth it to just wait until the mid game to start taking capitals?

So I've been trying to play domination games, but for some reason I can't manage to get off my feet. What policies do you guys take?

I've tried taking Honor right off the bat, but after I destroy the near bar camps it's not much use, and even if I take 4 archers and 4 spearmen to the nearest city, once it's captured I'm suffering from the lack of infrastructure both in my own cities and the captured ones.

I've tried finishing tradition and then doing honor, but I'm used to taking aesthetics as a second tree, and noticed that I'm not generating nearly enough culture to pick policies often enough.

Is warmongering right off the bat even worth it on standard and large maps? How do you guys do it? Is it worth it to just wait until the mid game to start taking capitals?

Realistically, you need only the first 3 policies from Honor (the opener, the Great General and the adjacency bonus). I strongly suggest squeezing in freedom for the Pyramids and super-fast workers or tradition for more land grab.

More than anything, you need engineering to get two intl. trade routes (probably with city states) up. Allying up a city-state (pref. a mercantile) also isn't a bad idea (camp+worker clearing etc.)

Realistically, you need only the first 3 policies from Honor (the opener, the Great General and the adjacency bonus). I strongly suggest squeezing in freedom for the Pyramids and super-fast workers or tradition for more land grab.

The thing is that finishing Honor gives you a major source of income during wars. Seeing as you won't be making friends going for a Domination victory, that's pretty darn important.

and even if I take 4 archers and 4 spearmen to the nearest city

My typical rush strat: Rush composite bowman and 2 city taking units (horsemen or spearmen). After 2nd capitol secured, rush NC. Even with a rush I normally would take the first 3-4 policies in tradition to get early food/tiles/infrastructure/happiness in the capital. Growing the capital early really ensures that at least your capitol won't fall behind which is very important.

Seeing as you won't be making friends going for a Domination victory, that's pretty darn important.

I thought the idea was to nurture relations with civs while growing, build an army to take out pariahs (either their own fault, or you diplomatically isolated them), then start turning on your "friends". Basically, by the time you start angering everybody, it wouldn't matter since you are more than capable enough of wiping the floor with them. There seems to be too many penalties with trying to rush a civ or two too soon.

Top Bottom